Black Striping on the dobok...

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Knowing that we have a vast mixture of Taekwon-Do "styles" represented on this board...I wish to pose the following question...

What are your kwan's, dojang's, or organization's rules regarding striping?

Please state your explanation as well as representing your kwan or organizational affiliation.

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my inst have a black stripe on the tops and down the leg of their uniform, its somethign you have the option of getting when you become a black belt and my school is UTA but im not sure if that is a thing the UTA does or just my school cus my school dont do just UTA stuff

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black trim on the top's bottom at 1st dan, stripes at 4th Dan IIRC.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our organization is WTF/Chung Do related. The only one wearing stripes is the master, 5th dan. Well, except for one 1st dan young man who got permission to wear the three striped dobok top and pants. A bit precocious. Most of the black belts wear black uniforms with awful gold Korean letters on the back. Mine is plain. We also wear white uniforms, red and blue but the black belts only have white/v-neck black, no bottom trim. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are WTF affiliated. We have solid white through the color belts, White w/Black V neck for the BB's but as of just last week, our newest 2nd Dan's got the 3 stripe Dobaks and pants. For us existing 2nd Dan's, we were given the option, but everyone of us chose to keep our original White/Black trim's. I would feel too self concious in such a get up.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black belts wear the black V-neck and no other trim, as can be seen from my photo....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're not TKD, but we used to wear all white unis with black pants option available at blue belt, half-black ranks wore the white top with black trim on the lapels and bottom. Black belts wear all black - um, no gold lettering - or other colors (red, blue).

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

We are former members of the ITF and our chief instructor was ITF-IIC. General striping is according to the basic ITF standards...1st-3rd Dans have striping on the bottom of the jacket only, 4th Dan and above have military striping (arms and legs). Also, those 1st-3rd Dans that are assistant instructors where striping on the pants and sleeves, but the striping is only 1/4 inch.

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

Love to hear from anyone with the whole lapel or the ankles (as seen in Tangsoodo and Hapkido) striped!

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never realized that the trim on your uniforms had any coorilation to rank.
Learn something new everyday.

Can sombody point me in a direction or post a general uniform trim vs. rank structor. So I may know what the ranks are of my fellow black belt from the TKD organizations.

Thank you

Rick

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is all white for color belts and a black V neck for BB's. But as mentioned several times above, many schools have slight variations. Often times, young BB's (poomes) may have a red and black V neck.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My old TKD school was the same as Gemini stated above. White-trimmed, Japanese style robes for lower ranks, black-trimmed, Korean style robes for BBs.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Checked last night at class to be sure...

The 1st through 5th Dans at my dojang wear the black trimmed V-neck only..no other striping.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We only wear plain white v-necks for color-belts (except for the demo team. They wear red/white doboks). When you recieve your BB, they get a white v-neck dobok with black trim only. My master instructor is the only one that wears a black uniform. The instructors do have blue/white uniforms (for 3rd dans and above it seems). Or other school owners within our system can also wear black. We are WTF affiliated, but have our own system.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For the ATA (we use the "karate-ish" uniforms instead of the olympic TKD uniforms), the black trim is....

-Black stripe only on the bottom trim of the front flap below the belt for non-instructor black belts.

-Black stripe around the collar and the trim of the uniform for those who completed their instructor certification through the ATA.

-One black stripe on the outside part of each leg for 4th degrees and higher.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
The general rule of thumb is all white for color belts and a black V neck for BB's. .... Often times, young BB's (poomes) may have a red and black V neck.
This is exactly how we do it. No stripes on arms/legs/belts. At the Kukkiwon, you were not allowed to take the Instructor certification test if you wore the Adidas Grandmaster uniform.

Miles

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Aye Guys,

I have a big problem with getting the stripes to stay on my V-neck dobok...

HeHeEEEheeee:boing1: ....my dobok doesnt have a v-neck!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey,

Once you try a v-neck, you'll never go back to a cross-over!

Take Care,

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ditto that, this is especially true for women! And I hated those darn strings! They were always breaking. TW

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman,

You know in all my years I havent had the strings break on a dobok. Even the student weight that I wear in the summer have never broken or given out...plenty of missing sleeves thought!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

Latest Discussions