Black Gi in Kenpo

C

Chozen One

The Black Gi in kenpo from what I understand is supposed to represent “death and bruising”. Where is that taken from, since in china the color white represents death (from what I understand) where does this come from Japan or just some American addition to Kenpo?

Can you offer some clarification

OP
K

Karazenpo

Chozen One said:
The Black Gi in kenpo from what I understand is supposed to represent “death and bruising”. Where is that taken from, since in china the color white represents death (from what I understand) where does this come from Japan or just some American addition to Kenpo?

Can you offer some clarification

This is from the Tracy Kenpo website. Other than what is posted below Kajukenbo was the first system to fully adopt the black gi as a uniform dress code to distinguish themselves from other styles and systems. I heard it was used to represent the 'black heart' of the Kajukenbo fighter, in reference to of course, life and death street survial situations. According to our seniors, so don't shoot the messenger, lol, back in the 60's many were uneasy to step in the tournament circle with one who donned a black gi.

FAQ

Why does Kenpo/Kempo use a "Black Gi" (uniform)?

This is one of the most asked questions.

When James Mitose returned to Hawaii in 1937 from his Kosho/Kenpo training with his Grandfather, Sukuhei Yoshida (20th Great Grand Master) in Japan, he knew that people would assume his "Art" was just another Japanese/Okinawan martial art.

He immediately wanted to send a message to all the other martial artists in Hawaii that this was not the case. He did this by wearing a "Black Gi," which was contrary to the nature of the "Traditional" Japanese martial arts! James Mitose wanted all to know that while there were some similarities to other martial arts, Kosho/Kenpo had taken a different path of development and was a style of its own - not to be considered Japanese in nature or origin!

The Japanese government recognized this when they did away with the Samurai as a class and outlawed the traditional wearing of swords. At this same time the Japanese Government's edict went out: when the sanctity of human life was affirmed, Kenpo was made an illegal art. Jiu Jitsu was allowed to be practiced because it was more scientific. Meaning: Kenpo was a "killing art" that had its true origin in China!

Kenpo was NOT a Japanese art! Even its "Characters" were of Chinese origin - in China known as "Ch'uan Fa." Go to the Japanese dictionary on the web Make sure "Japanese" is highlighted; type in kenpo. When it comes up it will be the 6th one down: - it is defined as a Chinese Martial Art. While you are using the Japanese dictionary on the web type in kempo - see the result of using this spelling!

Much of the nature of the martial arts in Japan had its origin in the Shintoism (the original religion of Japan) that was restored by the New Japanese Mejia regime in the 1890's - and the "Emperor" once again was recognized as a "God." Within Shintoism "White" was symbolic of "Purity".

A classic example of this is in the making of a "Japanese Sword" where the "Swordsmith" in his forging of the sword is dressed in "pure white."

Click on the picture to enlarge

To keep the sword "pure" when it was tested on a corpse or live prisoner, the prisoner could not be a "murderer," have tattoos (tattoos from an early date were associated with the "Yakuza"- Japanese Mafia), have a disease or be from the "Untouchable" "eta"* class. The finished Sword took on a "life" or "soul" of its own - which had to be pure! Today some of these exceptional swords are worth millions of dollars. The final polishing of the "blade" was usually done by someone other than the person who had forged and given the blade its "soul' - this person did not have to be dressed in white.

*"eta class" - They buried the dead (sick and diseased) and worked with dead animals. Most Japanese were vegetarians - especially the Buddhists - and only the "lowest of the low" handled carcasses of animal or worked with leather from dead animals. In Japanese society they were truly "untouchables!" Once born into this class there was no way out! But this was true of every Japanese class. Even if you were a Samurai, but of low rank, it was almost impossible to ever move above the position into which you were born.

"Black" by its very nature took on the opposite meaning: night- death- evil. The Ninja were dressed in total black from head to foot - even covering their faces. The Ninja were always identified with darkness and evil.

The message the "Black Gi" sent was that Kenpo is a War Art; black was an indication of "Death and Bruising." To this day Traditional Japanese and Okinawan tournaments will not allow the wearing of a "Black Gi". This happened as recently as last month.

Ted Sumner is affiliated with a group of Martial Artists in Japan who send "exchange groups" to train and live with Ted in California. Those students refuse to step onto the mat to "freestyle" with anyone wearing a "Black Gi."

James Mitose did not allow his students to wear a Black Uniform because as beginners they had not reached the point of truly understanding and representing Kosho/Kenpo. Also "Black Uniforms" were not commercially available and had to be "custom made."

In the following I am not talking about "legal ramifications" - rather, I am discussing the Oriental philosophy of "Survival" and how important the "First Strike" is. "Tora Tora Tora" ("Tiger, Tiger, Tiger"), the Japanese code name for the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, is a perfect example.

Conflicts involving life and death are not "Sport" where you want to give the "Enemy" any advantage. The U.S. invasion of "Normandy" in WWII was designed to surprise the enemy - which it did!

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was as simple as a black gi hid the blood stains much better then the white gi.

OP
K

Karazenpo

BallistikMike said:
I thought it was as simple as a black gi hid the blood stains much better then the white gi.

That too, lol.

Latest Discussions