Black Belt

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn, I have to believe much of what you trained in previously-Karate, has something to do with your meteoric rise through the TKD ranks. Whether it is of a physical or mental nature, only your instructor could tell you.

I have time-in-grade requirements for my students. If someone were to test on time every time, they'd make black belt in about 3.5-4 yrs. It also means they wear a red belt for 1 yr at a minimum. I have a young man who has worn his red belt for nearly 2.5 yrs since he has not shown the necessary maturation. I don't believe a black belt is anyone who has mastered anything but the basics, but to me, part of the basics is a desire to perform at a consistently improving rate.

Miles

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
1.)You will find that many mixed martial arts students will advance quicker than the norm. I have said that about thing for years..

2.) MartialMan just remember that Black Belt is more than just knowing the techniques. It is about attitude and Mental Attendance. If you bring these things from a different art and have the "Black Belt Mentality" it can be simpler for you to advance. The Only one that can answer your question is you...
3.)"Do You feel You Earned This Rank?? Do You Feel you can do this rank Honor?? do you feel confident in your Ability and Attitude towards this promotion??? If you can answer Yes then you deserve it and wear it with Pride... I congratulate you for making it to the "Top 10%"

4.)"Top 10%" It was told to me that... Approximately 10% of the Populace Join The Martial Arts... Of that 10%..10% make it to the upper ranks... Of That 10% ... 10% Make it to their Black Belt Test..... Of That 10% only 10% truly Pass..... Welcome to the "Top 10%"

1.) Why would a mixed martial arts style advance quicker, is there less to the art?
2.) Black belt mentailty what is this?? There is an inherent physicalness to the arts. How long does it take to "get" it?
3.) If the student thinks he deserves a black belt, he still has to prove he can earn it. Unfortunatly, many who never earned thier rank have no qualm handeing out easy rank
4.) If you are giving out Yadansha rank after 18 months you should'nt be weeding out 90% of the students. After all dedicating a year and a half ain't that long

Honestly, who on MT has'nt heard of TKD handed out rank early and often?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
1.) Why would a mixed martial arts style advance quicker, is there less to the art?
2.) Black belt mentailty what is this?? There is an inherent physicalness to the arts. How long does it take to "get" it?
3.) If the student thinks he deserves a black belt, he still has to prove he can earn it. Unfortunatly, many who never earned thier rank have no qualm handeing out easy rank
4.) If you are giving out Yadansha rank after 18 months you should'nt be weeding out 90% of the students. After all dedicating a year and a half ain't that long

5.) Honestly, who on MT has'nt heard of TKD handed out rank early and often?
1.) True...unless the student had much previous experience

2.) Could it be both atitude and physical ability?

3.) Makes sense

4.) Neither is 4-5 years.

5.) Like candy

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Honestly, who on MT has'nt heard of TKD handed out rank early and often?

Yes, and it's a problem only in TKD. Also, did you know that only Korean MA's suffer from infighting between various groups?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Yes, and it's a problem only in TKD. Also, did you know that only Korean MA's suffer from infighting between various groups?
Really? How could it be infighting if it involves various groups?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Really? How could it be infighting if it involves various groups?

The ITF's a great example.

Semantical parsing aside, I wasn't really intending it to be taken straight. When folks are talking about standards, and saying that their standards typically require three years, and a random drifter wafts by and says "Oh be honest. TKD"s always had problems with rapid belt advancement." Kinda implies that TKD instructors shouldnt' even be making the pretense of having any standards at all 'cause "everyone on MT" already knows it's a lie.

Which is, a little insulting IMO. Especially flying in the face of instructors who clearly do operate with quality standards in mind, and have posted on this thread already.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Yes, it is very soon, I thought I was going fast because i've had years of martial arts experience, but thewn i sawe a kid who's my belt and moving just as fast as me, and it makes me mad cause he sucks, he sucks as a fighter, and he doesn't even try, he cries if he gets hurt practically, it makes me mad, but yeah I agree im moving way too fast...

As long as you have no time considerations like being on the Olympic Team or starting your own TKD school go ahead and take your time. It seems you think your going to fast, take your time save your money.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
As long as you have no time considerations like being on the Olympic Team or starting your own TKD school go ahead and take your time. It seems you think your going to fast, take your time save your money.
But if you are being charged for lessons, taking your time will not save money.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
But if you are being charged for lessons, taking your time will not save money.
Only, if you quit after 1st Dan like so many people do.

J

jkdhit

it depends a lot on the school.. most schools it takes from 3 to 5 years. i have a black belt in two types of tkd, one school it took me about 3 1/2 years while the other school was only 2 years.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whilst I havent got it yet I have been training for three years to achieve the privilege of training for it and having just achieved my 1st pangkat rank my instructor immediately told us that the minimum training time for shodan is 1 year from the grading, so at best mine will take 4 years. I dont know what others have to know for their shodan but at our dojo before you can get graded the first requirement is to repeat ALL previous grades and ALL techniques contained so our black belt grading will take approx 4 - 5 hours as we have to first show 6th,5th,4th,3rd,2nd and 1st pangkat. If any techniques are not up to the required standard you may fail before you start. This sounded tough when I first heard it but now I'm glad we do, I know by the time I am graded I will have earned mine.

Latest Discussions