Biologists grow replacement sphincters in mice

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Biologists grow replacement sphincters in mice
Aug 10, 2011

By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY EXCERPT:

Science has produced lots of amazing things -- the hydrogen bomb, gene sequencing -- and now, an artificial mouse sphincter grown from human cells.

In the upcoming Gastroenterology journal report by a team led by Shreya Rhagavan of the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, researchers relate that they have successfully mixed human muscle cells with mouse nerves, and then grown them on a circular mold to make replacement sphincter rings. The findings could have implications for aging Baby Boomers.

"Fecal incontinence because of degenerated or weakened internal anal sphincter (IAS) has a high incidence rate in aging populations," begins the study. "Bioengineering could play a role in developing a translational approach to remedy fecal incontinence because of weakened IAS."

After implanting the lab-grown circles into eight mice, the new structures were successfully colonized by blood vessels and performed their intended function, says the study.
END EXCERPT
Because, somehow, there wasn't enough anal sphincters in the world.
Scientists, what a bunch of ...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you put my thoughts down just right, thank you!
I almost put this in Politics... although, it is only US politics and that would have been unfair to all the other politicians in the world.

ETA: I wish there was a way to subtitle this thread: Whose a hole joke crosses the line the farthest?...

Latest Discussions