Bicep Training

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was curious to know with all of the people that lift weights here what they do to build the bicep muscle? Have you found superset, giant set, or just plain heavy weight to be the most effective for you? What kind of sets/reps are performed? What kind of curl exercises do you perform and why?

Periodically I'm going to try to keep track of all the different muscle groups as well.

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Basics are the best. 8-10 reps is good for muscle building. 3-4 reps is more of a power range and 6-8 is somewhere in the middle. The best ones for gaining size is dumbell curls and barbell curls. Hammer curls work good as well ,however they also invole brachialradialus, or it is known as the main muscle in the forearm. Concentration culs and preacher curls are more for isolation once you have reached the desired size that you are wishing to obtain. However consider this that when you flex your arm 3/4 of the size comes comes from your tricep not your bicep. So you should consider that in your training.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually once a month I work both the bicep and tricep on the same day. Most of the time it's on seperate days. The reason being is that I don't want the muscles getting used to doing the same old thing. On bicep day I try to hit 5 exercises if possible with 3 sets of 10 reps or 15 depending on the exercise.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I was curious to know with all of the people that lift weights here what they do to build the bicep muscle? Have you found superset, giant set, or just plain heavy weight to be the most effective for you? What kind of sets/reps are performed? What kind of curl exercises do you perform and why?

Periodically I'm going to try to keep track of all the different muscle groups as well.

I work the biceps, 2-3 times a week. I'll work the ez curl bar, heavy as I can, followed by different types of curls with dumbbells, and mix in different thing at times ,like the machines, cables. About 4-5 sets, 7-8 reps, when I feel ok.

I'm getting tendonitis though, so it slows me down some days.:asian:

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
2-3 times a week way to much . You grow outside of the gym when you rest ands recuperate. 2-3 times a week may be the reason that you have tendonitis. You are being counterproductive and overtraining by doing that. Go to bodybuilding.com , musclemag.com or the likes for info. But cut back way back. Biceps can be stimulated to grow in as little as 6-8 sets a week.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cassidy
2-3 times a week way to much . You grow outside of the gym when you rest ands recuperate. 2-3 times a week may be the reason that you have tendonitis. You are being counterproductive and overtraining by doing that. Go to bodybuilding.com , musclemag.com or the likes for info. But cut back way back. Biceps can be stimulated to grow in as little as 6-8 sets a week.

Gotta feed them Pythons, Brother! (Hulk Hogan):eek:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was reading in Flex (not sure which month) when there was an article devoted to Ronnie Coleman's bicep workout plan. His (what he called) magnificant 7 bicep routine looked tough. In the article it said to work the bicep twice a week. Varying the exercises each time. He said he would pick four of the exercises and blast 4 sets of 12 of each. I remember reading another article quite a while back it had mentioned that if you weren't sore the next day you didn't work the muscle hard enough. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that but that is what was printed. After working my bicep on monday and thursday I don't find any soreness. However when challenging the other muscle groups that becomes a different story.:)

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Soreness does not equal growth, stimulation of the muscle and proper rest and recuperation does. Remember the ronnie coleman workouts are the workouts of Mr. Olympia and he is on numerous steroids and supps. and recovers much differently than the average joes.

R

RCastillo

Soreness does not equal growth, stimulation of the muscle and proper rest and recuperation does. Remember the ronnie coleman workouts are the workouts of Mr. Olympia and he is on numerous steroids and supps. and recovers much differently than the average joes.

Very true, we don't juice like you, and DC do ! (Cheaters);)

Mr. Farnsworth!;)

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Very funny sir. I heavily supplement and eat a lot. But I don't juice.:asian:

R

RCastillo

Very funny sir. I heavily supplement and eat a lot. But I don't juice.:asian:

No, I don't mean you Sir, I mean FARNSWORTH!:eek:

SORRY!

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh I don't care I am only kidding. I am very open about my supplements and training.:D

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Very true, we don't juice like you, and DC do ! (Cheaters);)

Mr. Farnsworth!;)

Hmm, The only juice I have is orange juice. With nothing mixed in it. He He. Dodged that one. I do indulge into apple juice every now and then. :rofl:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in the newest Flex magazine Lee Haney did a bicep article write up. He explained a bicep "shocker" work out in detail. Well I tried it and my biceps have been sore for two days now. Looks like it a good series of exercises to do but only once a month or month and a half. Castillo take note.:)

R

RCastillo

If anyone is interested in the newest Flex magazine Lee Haney did a bicep article write up. He explained a bicep "shocker" work out in detail. Well I tried it and my biceps have been sore for two days now. Looks like it a good series of exercises to do but only once a month or month and a half. Castillo take note.:)

It sounds like a challenge, my young IKKO warrior!:eek:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like a challenge

You have age and experience in your corner. I have alot of catching up to do. But right now my back, biceps, hamstrings, chest, and front deltoids are all sore so I'll have get well first. :rofl: :asian:

R

RCastillo

You have age and experience in your corner. I have alot of catching up to do. But right now my back, biceps, hamstrings, chest, and front deltoids are all sore so I'll have get well first. :rofl: :asian:

My delts are killing me!

I think I 'll become the next "Bolo", and start terrorizing people!;)

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I 'll become the next "Bolo", and start terrorizing people!;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think that just might be one of the absolute funniest things I have ever read on this forum. I was looking at your web site last night I'm just not sure you have the frame for that big of a chest and/or biceps.:p

I don't either but one can dream.:eek:

R

RCastillo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think that just might be one of the absolute funniest things I have ever read on this forum. I was looking at your web site last night I'm just not sure you have the frame for that big of a chest and/or biceps.:p

I don't either but one can dream.:eek:

Been talking to DC again?

Just for that, I'm gonna get even bigger, look out Ohio!:samurai:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lucky for me that Cincinnati is over 3 hrs. away. HUH????

Lucky for Ohio that you will only be around for a few days and then gone. Uh huh. :p

Latest Discussions