better combo with boxing?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
boxing literally compliments all arts.
I would qualify that by saying it depends on what you hope to get from it. On the other hand, it could clash with other methods and might not mix well at all. And on the other other hand, it’s pretty easy to say that any system can compliment any system, again with the caveat that it depends on what you are looking for and hoping to get out of it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
boxing literally compliments all arts.
Boxing may compliment all striking arts, but not the wrestling art.

Without punch -> grab -> pull, for a boxer to integrate the wrestling art into the striking art can be difficult.

I have always assumed that the front cut should be the 1st takedown that a boxer may use. I then realize that a boxing clinch and a wrestling clinch are not the same.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxing may compliment all striking arts, but not the wrestling art.

Without punch -> grab -> pull, for a boxer to integrate the wrestling art into the striking art can be difficult.

This is why only the single leg and double legs are integrated with boxing so
So you punch, Bob and weave in under the opponents hook/overhand, come up under the arm pit, capture the head/neck, put your leg behind opponents leg and VIOLA!

If you’re using wrestling for the street it is. If for sport only, you abide by the rules. I always think street. If you wrestle for sport and you are accosted on the street are you prohibited from using your sport wrestling? May as well have a broader arsenal.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you punch, Bob and weave in under the opponents hook/overhand, come up under the arm pit, capture the head/neck, put your leg behind opponents leg and VIOLA!

If you’re using wrestling for the street it is. If for sport only, you abide by the rules. I always think street. If you wrestle for sport and you are accosted on the street are you prohibited from using your sport wrestling?

For the purest it means one thing and for those more eclectic something else. For me, it just adds to the arsenal.
I’m not sure what you mean by “for the purist…”?

Latest Discussions