Best Portrayal of Western Boxing in Cinema?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best Portrayal of Western Boxing in Cinema? Since we had a thread on best overall portrayal of Western Martial Arts in Cinema and Rutherford, rightfully asked whether boxing counted, I've added a strictly Western Boxing Cinema Thread.

Personal choices:

Raging Bull
Million Dollar Baby

Distant, distant third
Rocky 3

Suggestions? I'm particularly looking for those that emphasize the WESTERN character of boxing as opposed to general martial arts or kickboxing.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of great ones from the 30's, 40's and 50's.....don't even know where to start, though Errol Flynn in [Gentlman Jim about Jim Corbett is good, as was Paul Newman in Somebody Up There Likes Me, the Rocky Graziano story. There's a whole slew of fictional ones, The Champ, Here Comes Mr.Jordan, Body and Soul,etc., etc. All portrayed boxing pretty credibly for the time.

Though I gotta agree with you about Raging Bull; that's the best.

Oh, and Ali.................

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Best Portrayal of Western Boxing in Cinema? Since we had a thread on best overall portrayal of Western Martial Arts in Cinema and Rutherford, rightfully asked whether boxing counted, I've added a strictly Western Boxing Cinema Thread.

Personal choices:

Raging Bull
Million Dollar Baby

Distant, distant third
Rocky 3

Suggestions? I'm particularly looking for those that emphasize the WESTERN character of boxing as opposed to general martial arts or kickboxing.

What about Cinderella Man? I love that movie. :asian:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Boxer

On the Ropes

The first Rocky will always be one of my favorites (but not sure I would call it the best portrayal of boxing).

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Holy cow! I forgot about that movie. I do miss Charles Brsonson!

Do doubt! I picked it up for $5 just last year in a dvd bargin bin! Definitely the best!

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hard Times was filmed in Rosedale California across the street from my house. I had no idea who was in this movie and I was not allowed to see it since it was rated R and I was only 10 or so. I still have not seen the movie. I need to go rent it.
Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Rocky series.

Anyhoo, I saw the movie "Girlfight" and loved it. It starred Michelle Rodriques or something.

Theres another movie with Wesley Snipes and it had to do with prison boxing.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of "Gladiator" starring Cuba Gooding Jr. & James Marshall.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
The "boxing" in the Rocky movies was pure BS. The only person responsible for boxing choreography was Stallone himself, and it shows. (When training for the first Rocky, When he stepped between the ropes whith Earnie Shavers, who was one of the real heavy hitters of the time, Stallone was reportedly knocked out by a punch to the *ELBOW* )

Hard Times will show you a bit more like REAL boxing, before they came up with these silly things like gloves and timed rounds and such.:D

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan said:
The "boxing" in the Rocky movies was pure BS. The only person responsible for boxing choreography was Stallone himself, and it shows. (When training for the first Rocky, When he stepped between the ropes whith Earnie Shavers, who was one of the real heavy hitters of the time, Stallone was reportedly knocked out by a punch to the *ELBOW* )

Hard Times will show you a bit more like REAL boxing, before they came up with these silly things like gloves and timed rounds and such.:D

Yes - trying to compare "Rocky" to "Raging Bull", where Robert DeNiro actually had the real Jake LaMotta as a consultant, IIRC, is like comparing cotton candy to fine dining.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raging Bull gets my vote too.

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always knew Stallone's boxing experience was not the true selling point of the "Rocky" movies. IT was more of the principles he tried to install in his audience. The one that stands out the most to me was the "Go the distance" mentality. To be the underdog and still put all your heart and mind into what it is you need to do.

BTW, I think Girlfight was a good movie, it came out in 2000.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
I always knew Stallone's boxing experience was not the true selling point of the "Rocky" movies. IT was more of the principles he tried to install in his audience. The one that stands out the most to me was the "Go the distance" mentality. To be the underdog and still put all your heart and mind into what it is you need to do.

BTW, I think Girlfight was a good movie, it came out in 2000.

Good point. Makes it more of a motivational movie, though, then.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved Cinderella Man and the Rocky Series. Million Dollar Baby was great as well.

Rocky was told through Adrians eyes not Rocky's. That is why it is a neat story.

Latest Discussions