Best martial art for 50 yr old

Texan66

White Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in opinions for the best martial art(s) for a 50 year old in good physical shape, interested in self defense and fitness.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pick a place that suits you in terms of gym culture and instruction style as well as what they actually train. Pretty much any style is fine, more a matter of what you like and how it is taught.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any style it depends on you. There's no label saying 50 year old guys don't train here

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score

As long has he has good knee and hip flexibility and can do squatting and up and down off the ground. I do a little bit of Silat and find some of the body requirements and warm ups a bit challenging. My daughter and I were recently doing these moves:

Last edited:

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on whats near you. I would also check the make up of students - go take a free class or observe. If you see a class with a few people close to your age - you will find training partners and a teacher who adjusts. My two cents having started at age 48 with decent fitness - is that a basic striking art - even "just" boxing is a good basic self defense and fitness system. That said I study JKD and Kali. I find the occasional take downs the most hard on me, where as most of the 20 something in class can be put down on to the mats with no worries.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in opinions for the best martial art(s) for a 50 year old in good physical shape, interested in self defense and fitness.
That depends what is available within reasonable distance from you. If you live in or near a large city, then you are lucky and have several options. I live in a small city with only 3 options in town and another 4 or 5 within reasonable driving distance. I am fortunate that the school I attend is the closest but is also great for older students, which is a Wing Chun & Tai Chi school. Both are good for older students.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Age doesn't matter that much. Check out what schools are available in your area with schedules, locations, and prices which work for you. Pay a visit to as many of them as you can to get a feel for whether the atmosphere and teaching style meet your tastes. If you still have multiple options, you can post links to the school websites here and we can probably give some feedback and possibly point out any red flags.

D

Dylan9d

As long has he has good knee and hip flexibility and can do squatting and up and down off the ground. I do a little bit of Silat and find some of the body requirements and warm ups a bit challenging. My daughter and I were recently doing these moves:

Not every style of Silat is like that.......

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm 52 and I can do all those moves pretty comfortably. Check back with me in another 10 years and will see what my outlook is then.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on whats near you. I would also check the make up of students - go take a free class or observe. If you see a class with a few people close to your age - you will find training partners and a teacher who adjusts. My two cents having started at age 48 with decent fitness - is that a basic striking art - even "just" boxing is a good basic self defense and fitness system. That said I study JKD and Kali. I find the occasional take downs the most hard on me, where as most of the 20 something in class can be put down on to the mats with no worries.
Takedowns are harder on those who do them the least. The falls (ukemi) are a skill unto themselves, and it takes more practice to get good at than most stand-up arts will afford.

To the OP: Look for what interests you and is convenient. Look for places near home, work, or (best yet) on the path between them. These are places where your excuses to not go are reduced. Visit a few of them (preferably all of them, but at least 3+) and observe a class. If you don't like that first class at all, don't go back. If you do, watch a second and/or take an intro class. Once you've visited at least 3 (so your opinions of each are based on comparisons to the others), pick one to go attend a couple of classes. If they don't let you pay per-class, sign up for your first month (no more). At the end of the month, if you're seeing what you want in that school, stay. If you're not, move on.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
No 'best' for any particular age. Check out what is available to you, get a feel of the instruction and other participants; join the one you feel most comfortable with. Have FUN. If you don't enjoy the training you won't stay at any age.

D

Dylan9d

Don't get me wrong OP, just do what you think that brings you most fun. We are all biased about our own systems and that's natural I think. But just do what you think is fun.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I teach Taekwondo, so guess what I'm going to recommend? :D

Whatever school and style you go to, make sure that they will let you have a lesson or two up front so you can see what their teaching style is like. Talk with the other students and get their opinions on the instructors. The main thing is to find a school that you feel "at home" with - that will be your best learning environment.

Latest Discussions