Best karate-style uniform

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that I feel really old after the "Best TKD uniform" thread, I'm wondering about karate-style uniforms. This old man is partial (as in prefers. Not as in dentures) the karate-style uniforms (robe-type jackets & drawstring pants).

I'm looking for input on striping, too. Is there a company that does good custom striping? Has anyone gotten one done from Sang Moo Sa? There's looked good, but I'd rather talk w/ someone who's bought one, first. Or should I just go to a tailor & have them do it?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help you on who puts out the best uniforms or will do striping.
I wear solid black most of the time and still remember when the pants were cut just at mid calf and the arms were at mid forarm

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Sorry I can't help you on who puts out the best uniforms or will do striping.
I wear solid black most of the time and still remember when the pants were cut just at mid calf and the arms were at mid forarm

That uniform cut has become fashionable lately, I've noticed. What's old is new again:) . I appreciate your post.:asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Now that I feel really old after the "Best TKD uniform" thread, I'm wondering about karate-style uniforms. This old man is partial (as in prefers. Not as in dentures) the karate-style uniforms (robe-type jackets & drawstring pants).

Several companies can give claim to "best karate-style uniform."

Most karate practitioners who use karategi would point to Shureido. These are comfortable, durable, and are often times seen as the pinnacle in uniforms. Yes, they can cost around 200 dollars, but think of it this way: you'll wear out many more of the cheaper uniforms before this one even starts entering that "worn down" territory.

Other companies make good uniforms are a lower cost, such as Kamikaze, Kime, etc.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Check out Kwon, extremely durable, good bargin and cut large

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Check out Kwon, extremely durable, good bargin and cut large

Thanks for your input, guys. I have a Kwon uniform that I like. I've heard of the great Japanese uniforms you guys mentioned. I was just hoping to find a decent company that has a good uniform that can add stripes, too. Like the pre- V-neck, basic black stripes (MooDuk Kwon style) on a white uniform. Some companies have them, but some go crazy w/ stripes. I just want a heavy uniform w/ a single black stripe down the pants & a few on the jacket. Any ideas?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Take it to a tailors shop, costs a little. Care full with aping the Tang Soo Do trim to close (TSD people might get a tad testy)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Tang Soo Do instructor at our dojang wears a heavy-weight Pine Tree cross-over dobok with the traditional MDK trim. I have seen some of his black belts wearing Pro-Force heavy-weight doboks with trim.

Best Martial Arts Supply will do whatever trim you would like although I don't know the specific charges.

Good Luck!

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Miles! I'll look into em. I'm not lookin' to honk off my TSD brethern (or anyone else). I just something a bit different from the norm. I do like most of Nike's products. I run in their shoes & wear other stuff, too. And I too, like their tag line. When I left the WTF (1986) for the ITF, Nike wasn't interested in TKD. Now that I'm back, I seem to caught in a time warp.

I ordered a Eosin Panther belt, I'll letcha know how it looks.

Thanks again.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shureido uniforms are the best. period.

IMO

Michael Tabone

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushi jon said:
Hoi Bros sun uniforms great price nice gi both Karate and trad tkd

Wow,Choi Bros uniforms & Bear Brand belts! I figured you must be a midwesterner:D I guessed because I a transplant from suburban Chicago. Every uniform I owned starting out was Choi Bros. And East West Market Exchange was also another place to get good stuff.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Wow,Choi Bros uniforms & Bear Brand belts! I figured you must be a midwesterner:D I guessed because I a transplant from suburban Chicago. Every uniform I owned starting out was Choi Bros. And East West Market Exchange was also another place to get good stuff.

:) E-W Market Exchange is a neat place! I was only in there 1x, but there was this mannequin you could hit and score points on. It was really neat. I also like Bear brand belts-my first black belt is a Bear brand, and I still have it though I haven't worn it in 20+ years.

Miles

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Among the budget brands, I like Kwon and Wacoku. Just be sure to get a heavyweight.

Latest Discussions