Best Hand Strike

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If it has to be a HAND strike (I am fond of elbows), I would have to go with palm heel strikes. Easier on the hand, quicker to grab things than with a closed fist, and quicker to work joint locks and the like after/before you strike.

I don't think spear hands are bad, you just need to know when to apply them. Squaring off against an opponent and throwing a spearhand is a bad idea. Throwing a spearhand after trading blows is still a bad idea since it requires precision. Personally, I would use a spearhand strike if my opponent and I were in the midst of grabbing each other and struggling for superiority.

Oh look, he left an opening around his neck, silly him. I would recommend curling the fingers so you strike with the second knuckles on the throat. You can also use the spear hand as a pressure point. Have control of one side of the guy's head with one hand and thrust your spearhand into a pressure point with the other and squeeze. You could also dig your fingers under bones and other things with the spearhand depending on the pressure point.

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hammer fist...fits in very nicely with the same swinging mechanics that I use to generate power with my escrima.

But elbows are my fave if we are counting them =)

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
If it has to be a HAND strike (I am fond of elbows), I would have to go with palm heel strikes. Easier on the hand, quicker to grab things than with a closed fist, and quicker to work joint locks and the like after/before you strike.

I don't think spear hands are bad, you just need to know when to apply them. Squaring off against an opponent and throwing a spearhand is a bad idea. Throwing a spearhand after trading blows is still a bad idea since it requires precision. Personally, I would use a spearhand strike if my opponent and I were in the midst of grabbing each other and struggling for superiority.

Oh look, he left an opening around his neck, silly him. I would recommend curling the fingers so you strike with the second knuckles on the throat. You can also use the spear hand as a pressure point. Have control of one side of the guy's head with one hand and thrust your spearhand into a pressure point with the other and squeeze. You could also dig your fingers under bones and other things with the spearhand depending on the pressure point.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying that spear hands are all bad, just that it would not me my weapon of choice when "Lizard brain" kicks in.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree, a spearhand would not be my weapon of choice when the blood starts pumping and everything is a blur.

I do see times when the spearhand can be used in a physical confrontation. Not usually how it is done in a form, but in a short, quick thrusting motion where I can continue to dig in with my fingers and maybe even curl them into the flesh for more pain. My step-dad was a wrestler and was great at this.

Any other time, I would rather use a palm heel strike. Same motion, better chance of hitting (larger striking surface), and less risk of injury to yourself.

OP
K

Knifehand

Personally, I am fond of the Side Hand Strike (Phakeso Sang Dan Soo Do Kong Kyuck).

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever hurts the other fella without busting your own hand. It may sound flippant, but really, whatever strike happens to work in the given situation at the given moment.

Cthulhu

OP
K

Knifehand

I kind of agree with you. The least obvious strike can be a potent one. In a bar brawl, for instance, everyone expects a punch, not an knife hand strike or a hammer fist. In close quarter fighting, elbow up is an effective strike.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just learn the proper technique for all the hand strikes your art/system teaches. That way, if a particular situation requires a particular strike, you are in less danger of breaking your hand while doing it.

Cthulhu

OP
V

Vadim

My favorite is the left hook. I also am fond of the backfist.:boxing:

-Vadim

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
My fav. is probably a palm-heel to the chin coming up from a slight angle (not quite an uppercut but close) after the strike, dig your fingers into the eyes. I like this one for several reasons, 1) the whole open-hand vs. closed fist thing. 2) by striking with a slight upward angle you're going to disrupt their balance by rocking their head back (this works great to set up a throw) which can also cause damage to the vertebrae (sp?). 3) by going into/around the eyes you can obscure their vision even if you don't actually do damage to the eyes.

Some others that I favor (in no particular order) are: Handsword (to neck, throat, or collarbone); half-fist/leopard fist (to throat, neck, or solar-plex); Hammerfist (to basically anywhere :D); "Y" strike or web-hand strike to throat which turns into a grab 'n' twist (also good in conjunction with throws/takedowns). I use a lot of elbows too.

tongsau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Finger sputter to the face; worked for Vitor against Randy. I always use this. Second would have to be a slap followed by a pinch of the cheeks. My uncle makes that work well. Causes total loss of focus.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sonkal to the side of the neck...very very hard. Thats my faverout. But if you don't want to go to the hospital with the guy whos neck you hit a sonkut to between the ribs.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I gotta go with a lunging right cross stop-hit. Connect to the back of the jaw. Then extend the punch. All while coming an inch off your toes and flying into a four foot lunge. Gotta have really strong calves and a quick sense to capitilize on a stop hit. Devestating power. Don't break your hand. This is a committed move so you it's quite possible you'll get jammed.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a counterattacker i'm afraid. I quite like a finger strike darting out from underneath my blocking hand. If they aren't ready for it they generally pull their elbows up and leave their ribs exposed (i think someone else also mentioned this?), if they are ready then you can grasp their striking hand and pull them into a chop to the throat or an elbow to the temple.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heito to the side of the neck

and

Vertical fist punch upwards below the ribcage with elbow close to the hip

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd go with a knife hand strike but an inwards one not an outwards out done with the palm upwards and the bodyweight behind it by using a step inwards and a waist twist. I'm using this one on the punch bag right now in prep for the breaking comp in the next tournament. I've never been unfortunate enough to use one on a human but I move the bag more with this than I do punching it for some reason.

Latest Discussions