Belt lengthening

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting thing I noticed recently.

I recently ordered a new belt, sticking with the same tried and true Tokaido cotton belt model, since these belts are quite durable, and wear well. My old one has some embroidery on it, and I needed to get one without the embroidery for certain events.

When I tried on the new belt, it seemed a bit short, and sure enough, it was over 4" shorter than my old belt. The new one was 109", the old one was over 113" in length. I don't mind the slightly shorter length of the new one at all; it's just that it seemed a bit odd.

I asked a rep (not a Tokaido rep, just the company that sold it) if the standard lengths had changed throughout the years, but the rep had said that they had kept the same sizes and materials for a long time now, and that such lengthening was to be expected. The rep then laughed, and said "take it as a sign of hard work!"

Is this the norm? I can see that all belts will have some measure of flexibility to them, that over time, they'll gradually lengthen, but seeing 4" of a length difference (took place over several years) was rather interesting.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Take it as a sign of hard work.... ??

That has to be the oddest thing I have heard for a while. Never really had a problem of needing to lengthen a belt...but that has to be one of the weirdest responses I have heard for a long time...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, At least something came smaller?

Have you notice at the food markets? Prices stay the same, BUT the package is smaller? In the near future a gal of milk will be one quart! ...Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that hanging your belt over a door is supposed to relax the material a bit. But 4"?? I'm thinkin' not. If it loosens up that much be sure to let us know!

I know with Eosin-Panther belts (this is not a comericial) are custom made to the size you desire. I've had great results there.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
My belt seems to be getting shorter as well..............hmm..........it must be the belt.........yea, that's the ticket!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never heard of a belt getting longer but here's an observation:

When I order an embroidered belt, it is 1 size larger than the uniform size to accomodate the embroidering. If you are just using a plain belt, no need to get the larger size.

My impression (from a very small sample-1 belt) was that Tokaido belts were shorter than other brands such as Pine Tree.

Miles

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
My belt seems to be getting shorter as well..............hmm..........it must be the belt.........yea, that's the ticket!

That's what I was thinking!!!

Latest Discussions