Belt Confusion

KickingAngel16

White Belt
Reaction score
My instructor told me last week that he thinks that I'm almost ready for my next test. This was a soon after I got my orange belt. Last night, he asked me if I tested recently after he saw me do some of my orange belt level stuff. I did do the test recently for my orange belt, so I said yes. That was when I saw him going for the green belt on the wall. I had to explain to him that I didn't test for my green yet. I just wonder how he could consider me ready that quickly. Sometimes I think I'm leveling up too fast.

Last edited:

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about being promoted too quickly until you're at red/brown belt (whichever your school uses for 1st and 2nd kup) level. Just do your best and have fun. Don't stress a quick promotion too much, just do what you need to do to feel that you are deserving of it. There have been a few threads about exactly this lately, so I guess it happens to good students on occasion!

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like already mentioned. I wouldn't worry about it. Your instructor should know when your ready to move up, more so than you would yourself. So if he feels you deserve to rank up.. give yourself a pat on the back for doing extra well.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. the only piece of advice I've got is to remember to regularly review all your old material even as you grade up. This goes for anyone, even if they aren't promoting quickly.

There's nothing more embarassing than a higer level student who have forgotten their basics.

Peace,
Erik

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I run through all of the forms I know (white belt and up) for a warm-up and cool-down. I need to do the step sparring every time as well because I am starting to forget some of it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometime folks just catch on and they are ready remember green is just a mid belt better basic stuff, the only time you need to worry is when you hit brown red and you are only there for a month.

Latest Discussions