Beginner's Book

S

SammyB57

What is probably the best book out there for someone interested/beginning TKD to read?

I am looking into the Idiot's Guide to TKD.... they are guaranteed mediocrity. Not bad, not too great.... just average. If there is anything else out there better, let me know.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you looking for? Most of the books you are going to find, at least that I've found are geared towards the WTF in the fact that the forms the demonstrate are WTF forms. I think Tae Kwon Do by Richard Chun is a great book but expensive. I think you are dead on with your assessment of the "Idiot" or "Dummies" series. But for someone that doesn't know much about taekwondo they may be enough to give you a couple general ideas. Just a reminder, there's a link to Amazon.com at the bottom of every page. Great place to buy books, cheap and free shipping on orders over $25 (no, they don't pay me...but they should). Modern Tae Kwon Do has both taeguk and palgwe forms along with the black belt forms. Good luck...hope you find what you're looking for.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have (except for Dummies) all the forms books but I found one recently one that had alot of good general info- Tuttle Martial Arts/Taekwondo Basics by Scott Shaw. It doesn't have any forms in it though. But I found the forms books don't have much general knowledge. I got it at Barnes and Noble.TW

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
What is probably the best book out there for someone interested/beginning TKD to read?

I am looking into the Idiot's Guide to TKD.... they are guaranteed mediocrity. Not bad, not too great.... just average. If there is anything else out there better, let me know.

If you want ITF style, the official encyclodepia of TKD is pretty detailed.

Paul

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are serious about Taekwondo (Kukkiwon), there is no better resource than the Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook which is available in softcover for about $25 or hardcover with the videos for about $100. TurtlePress http://www.turtlepress.com has the hardcover version but you can get either version at Best Martial Arts Supply www.sangmoosa.comMiles

OP
S

SammyB57

I purchased The State of the Art Taekwondo by Master Chul Whang and Jun Chul Wang.

Of all the books I looked at, (I had to go to a specific bookstore because I had a gift certificate from Christmas), it was well rounded and with good drawing illustrations.

It has sections on history, philosophy, warm-up/stretching, steps and footwork, blocks, hand strikes, kicks, sparring, and poomse with illustrations.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Check the library, I was surprised at what they had (like a couple copies of State of the Art Taekwondo). You can also browse your local martial arts store. If you looking for good starters book on TKD you've already bought my favorite.

Latest Discussions