Been looking at Kajukenbo, but

DarkConflict

White Belt
Reaction score
I just haven't made the leap yet. I've seen some videos of actual schools, the students don't seem to be using any techniques. The videos I've seen are more just brawling and swinging.

Didn't really notice any Judo throws in the actual school videos. Now I've seen throws used in the professionally produced videos.

Currently I'm doing GJJ/BJJ and have minimal Krav work.

I have two schools within a mile of my home.

Kingi's and one of his Blacks belts McDuffy. I like McDuffy's school because they are more open minded to Ground work. When I talked to Kingi he didn't have the most open mind when it came to ground fighting.

I think what's holding me back is the lack of techniques that I have seen.

What say you all?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the schools near you. See if they lack techniques or not. If they lack techniques and you don't like it, don't join. If they have techniques and you like it, join. If they have techniques but you still don't like it, don't join. Either way, the videos themselves won't tell you everything you need to know (and if they are of videos of other schools, it tells you almost nothing). As Kajukenbo has both striking and throws, unless the schools near you are the odd ones out, they should be teaching throws and grappling techniques.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[QUOTE="DarkConflict, post: 1765685, member: 351

"I think what's holding me back is the lack of techniques that I have seen.[/QUOTE]

Key words in that sentence are "I think what's holding me back.....".
Okay, and, so?

And welcome to MT, bro.

OP
D

DarkConflict

White Belt
Reaction score
Kajukenbo does include some judo techniques right? It's in the name and I wondered why it doesn't seem to be represented, like in the professional videos.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kajukenbo does include some judo techniques right? It's in the name and I wondered why it doesn't seem to be represented, like in the professional videos.
Yes it does, I originally misread as kyokushin somehow, sorry. Kajukenbo is mixed so it includes both...in your OP you mentioned the people who own the schools. Did you visit them yet? Do they do both striking and grappling? If they aren't teaching grappling techniques there is an issue there.

OP
D

DarkConflict

White Belt
Reaction score
Lol I was wondering why you mentioned Kyokushin. I then figured well Karate is apart of Kajukenbo, maybe its Kyokushin.

Yes I have visited both.

I like McDuffy because he seems more willing to adapt. Perhaps its because he's younger and one of his sons also has trained or still is training BJJ.

His son was going over some BJJ techniques when I last visited around a month ago.

I first visited both schools last year and had long talks with GM Kingi and Sifu McDuffy. Then as I stated I recently visited McDuffy's school again.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just haven't made the leap yet. I've seen some videos of actual schools, the students don't seem to be using any techniques. The videos I've seen are more just brawling and swinging.

Didn't really notice any Judo throws in the actual school videos. Now I've seen throws used in the professionally produced videos.

Currently I'm doing GJJ/BJJ and have minimal Krav work.

I have two schools within a mile of my home.

Kingi's and one of his Blacks belts McDuffy. I like McDuffy's school because they are more open minded to Ground work. When I talked to Kingi he didn't have the most open mind when it came to ground fighting.

I think what's holding me back is the lack of techniques that I have seen.

What say you all?
When you say "lack of techniques", do you mean lack of grappling, or that they look sloppy? If the former, watch a class and see if there's simply a LOT of focus on strikes. If the latter, what students are you seeing? With the exception of ground work, it's my experience that newer students rarely produce grappling techniques that look clean, at all. With ground work, with nowhere to run to, things often slow down (in fact, slowing things down is one of the defensive strategies down there) and even newer students occasionally do something recognizable against someone near their own level.

That said, if the sloppiness is with most students who've been there a while, that's usually an indication of weak instruction.

As for the groundwork issue, I wouldn't be too concerned with it. If you have a background in groundwork, you don't need these schools to help with it, so you'd be okay even with one that is VERY focused on not going to the ground. Heck, it might even be a nice balance to the "get 'em to the ground" mentality some BJJ schools have, giving you a focus on staying up until you can't, then using your ground game to finish it quickly. If you don't have groundwork already, an open mind isn't going to help - you need someone who can teach you ground work. There are instructors who can teach elementary, effective groundwork as part of a curriculum (I like to think I fall into that group), but even that is best augmented with at least occasional cross-training with folks who live on the ground.

OP
D

DarkConflict

White Belt
Reaction score
When you say "lack of techniques", do you mean lack of grappling, or that they look sloppy? If the former, watch a class and see if there's simply a LOT of focus on strikes. If the latter, what students are you seeing? With the exception of ground work, it's my experience that newer students rarely produce grappling techniques that look clean, at all. With ground work, with nowhere to run to, things often slow down (in fact, slowing things down is one of the defensive strategies down there) and even newer students occasionally do something recognizable against someone near their own level.

That said, if the sloppiness is with most students who've been there a while, that's usually an indication of weak instruction.

As for the groundwork issue, I wouldn't be too concerned with it. If you have a background in groundwork, you don't need these schools to help with it, so you'd be okay even with one that is VERY focused on not going to the ground. Heck, it might even be a nice balance to the "get 'em to the ground" mentality some BJJ schools have, giving you a focus on staying up until you can't, then using your ground game to finish it quickly. If you don't have groundwork already, an open mind isn't going to help - you need someone who can teach you ground work. There are instructors who can teach elementary, effective groundwork as part of a curriculum (I like to think I fall into that group), but even that is best augmented with at least occasional cross-training with folks who live on the ground.
Yes more or so wild with their strikes, to the point where it seems like simply closing the distance(wrapping up, etc.) is all you would need to beat them.

I've haven't seen McDuffy's students spar yet for self defense, just them training for competitions.

Just based on my research, Kajukenbo does look like it would help with takedowns, that the average person hasn't seen. Then of course the striking aspect of the art.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol I was wondering why you mentioned Kyokushin. I then figured well Karate is apart of Kajukenbo, maybe its Kyokushin.

Yes I have visited both.

I like McDuffy because he seems more willing to adapt. Perhaps its because he's younger and one of his sons also has trained or still is training BJJ.

His son was going over some BJJ techniques when I last visited around a month ago.

I first visited both schools last year and had long talks with GM Kingi and Sifu McDuffy. Then as I stated I recently visited McDuffy's school again.

How are you defining technique and brawling?

Some people who don't go full contact tend to think arts that do look a bit scrappy.

OP
D

DarkConflict

White Belt
Reaction score
Just for Clarification I'm not saying McDuffy's students are sloppy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes more or so wild with their strikes, to the point where it seems like simply closing the distance(wrapping up, etc.) is all you would need to beat them.

I've haven't seen McDuffy's students spar yet for self defense, just them training for competitions.

Just based on my research, Kajukenbo does look like it would help with takedowns, that the average person hasn't seen. Then of course the striking aspect of the art.
If their strikes aren't well-controlled, I'd have to have a chance to test them a bit before I'd consider paid classes. I'm speaking of reasonably experienced students, here - I don't judge a school based on newer students.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you defining technique and brawling?

Some people who don't go full contact tend to think arts that do look a bit scrappy.
True enough. If you compare most sparring to the Olympics or UFC, you'll be disappointed. Most sparring is less organized-looking. We're also conditioned to watching edited footage, which typically leaves out the rougher parts.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True enough. If you compare most sparring to the Olympics or UFC, you'll be disappointed. Most sparring is less organized-looking. We're also conditioned to watching edited footage, which typically leaves out the rougher parts.
Also fights simply aren't going to look pretty it doesn't how hard you train you'll probably still end up looking amateurish but as long as you stay safe who cares no ones going to give you style points when you're in hospital or a morgue

Latest Discussions