BBC: Too much cola zaps muscle power

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8056028.stm

Excessive cola consumption can lead to anything from mild weakness to profound muscle paralysis, doctors are warning.

This is because the drink can cause blood potassium to drop dangerously low, they report in the International Journal of Clinical Practice.

They tell of the curious case of an Australian ostrich farmer who needed emergency care for lung paralysis after drinking 4-10 litres of cola a day.

He made a full recovery and was advised to curtail his cola drinking.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Four to ten litres???!!! Seriously, how much caffeine does ostrich farming require? I used to drink way to much soda, and even then it was 6 cans a day, max. I can't imagine downing a average of 7 litre bottles daily.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let's be honest here to ourselves.

Anything that is GOOD, is either sinful, illegal, or fattening.

I like a coke now and then. Heck I like a beer now and then. I LOVE a donut now and then. Coffee to.

But if you stuff your face all the time with any of that it's bound to be harmful. Anyone with common sense would know that (but then we live in uncommon times, right?)

Deaf

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
4-10 liters of coke? Drinking 4-10 liters of almost anything will do that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4-10 liters of coke? Drinking 4-10 liters of almost anything will do that.

Isn't there a 'lethal' dose of water where your body simply can't take in anymore? I remember reading that someone drank litres and litres of water and became very ill.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't there a 'lethal' dose of water where your body simply can't take in anymore? I remember reading that someone drank litres and litres of water and became very ill.

Yes, but water intoxication is very rare. It requires not just massive intake, but in a very short period of time.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dunno about lethal, but serious health effects from drinking too much water only really pops up in extremely active folks like performance athletes though.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dunno about lethal, but serious health effects from drinking too much water only really pops up in extremely active folks like performance athletes though.
Some woman died drinking water in the US a couple of years ago year, I believe. There was a radio show that had a water drinking competition. The one who downed the most water won. The prize...A PS3.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Junk food and beer can actually save your life. When I was living in England, I saw a news story on YTV about a man who had had 9 pints of lager and was carrying a deep pan pizza home from a night on the town. He fell 30 feet off of a bridge. The pizza broke his fall and due to the fact that he was relaxed after the lager load, he remained unscathed.

Before you go a grab a can of 'Special Brew' it was probably his drunken state that made him fall in the first place. Therefore the pizza is the true hero.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since standard drink sizes at places with soda fountains now seem to be 20, 32, and 44 oz, remember that all it takes to hit 4 liters of cola in a day is three large cokes... And you suddenly realize how easy they've made it to suck down 4+ liters in a day.

Start your day with a 20 oz bottle, cuz coffee tastes like crap, have a 32 when you go to lunch at Burger King, get the refill on the way out the door, as it's 'free' after all, another 20 around 2-3 PM, have 3-4 16 oz glasses at home out of the two liter. That's almost 5 liters - and approximately 2100 calories and half a gram of caffeine. 10L is kind of pushing it, but not very hard to hit, especially if you're working in an arid environment. (Hello, Australia.)

Cutting myself back to one can of that crap a day was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

And while the dangers of DHMO poisoning are very real, it does take an exacerbating factor in the general case. Such as whatever huge amount Ms. Strange consumed during the "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a soldier die here a couple of years ago when he went tabbing on a hot day but thought he would be macho and not drink or take any water, he collapsed and the officer poured loads of water into him which as he was severely dehydrated killed him!

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anything and Everything? LOL sinful, schminful. As long as it's not fattening!

1. It's Better when it a Sin, in fact then it makes me giggle.:lol2:

2. It's only illegal if you get caught.:EG:

3. OK, you got me here. Unless it involves whip cream, jello shooters or chocolate. Those calories don't count.-vampfeed-

lori

Latest Discussions