Battle of Gettysburg...Nah...women and gay rights...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a time and a place for everything and the time and place for the Battle of Gettysburg was not the time to talk about women and gay rights...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/07/01/Doris-Kearns-Goodwin-A-Few-Inappropriate-Remarks-At-Gettysburg

On Sunday, a stunned audience sat in silence as Doris Kearns Goodwin turned the keynote address at the opening ceremony for the 150th anniverary of the Battle of Gettysburg into a political lecture focusing on women's and gay rights.

Missing from much of her keynote: Gettysburg.

Self-centered, insular, and oblivious to the occasion, the historian who was infamously caught plagiarizing merely recycled much of what she has said before about herself in previous speeches. And her rambling, self-promoting, and borderline inappropriate lecture touched upon nearly everything except for the heroic sacrifices made on that battlefield.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I guess she won't be invited back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't your keynote speaker at the event be someone like, say, a Civil War historian. Or even Ken Burns... They may not be as famous, but they'd make more sense.

ETA: OK, just looked her up; I guess she wrote a biography of Lincoln. So I guess she's just got no sense.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
She is lucky no one had a Shepherds Crook. I am stunned that no one stopped her from continuing speaking. Insulting on so many levels.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is from Breitbart. A quick check via Google didn't turn up independent complaints. So, considering the source...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is from Breitbart. A quick check via Google didn't turn up independent complaints. So, considering the source...

What..the video of her ACTUALLY TALKING at the bottom of the article wasn't proof enough for ya?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, everyone knows the battle cry of General Pickett as he lead the charge was. "For women's and Gay Rights!"

Too many people buy into the anti-Breitbart hate.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't hate brietbart. I just don't consider it credible media. It's a biased, agenda based web outlet. I try to avoid those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, everyone knows the battle cry of General Pickett as he lead the charge was. "For women's and Gay Rights!"

Too many people buy into the anti-Breitbart hate.

Guess I must have missed that in my US History class. I am sure that the PC revisionists will ensure that future generations don't suffer from a lack of education like me. :)

Latest Discussions