Bassai San Dan?

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know/Is anyone familiar with this form and/or it's lineage?

My school does it, but no one seems to know it's origins. It's weird, It seems like someone took some version of Bassai, scrambled it up, and then decided it needed some kicks, and some flashy spinning, jumpy stuff.

This, by the way, is NOT a video of how my school performs it, exactly, but it's the only video, or indeed reference to it I can find online!

Last edited by a moderator:

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ive never seen or heard of this form. But you can certainly see a resemblance to the other Bassai forms. The kicks are obviously not of Okinawan roots though so either the entire form was created much later than the other Bassai forms or the form has certainly been altered/Korean-ized.

OP
Koshiki

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ive never seen or heard of this form. But you can certainly see a resemblance to the other Bassai forms. The kicks are obviously not of Okinawan roots though so either the entire form was created much later than the other Bassai forms or the form has certainly been altered/Korean-ized.

Yeah, it reads like a TKD guy trying to kick-a-cize some sort of amalgamated Bassai...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a very strange kata. It's got pieces of Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho in it, but it's been Koreanized. I suspect that this might be a version of an Okinawan Passai. If I had more time, I'd check some of the other versions to see which one matches the best.

OP
Koshiki

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's a very strange kata. It's got pieces of Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho in it, but it's been Koreanized. I suspect that this might be a version of an Okinawan Passai. If I had more time, I'd check some of the other versions to see which one matches the best.

I've been looking. And looking. It's like no b(p)assai I've ever seen...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I tend to agree with the piecemeal idea. It does appear to be parts of several forms.

On a slightly different note, I'm fascinated by the differences in Bassai Dai among Karate styles. Then when you add Korean styles who perform it, it adds a whole new level of change.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the piecemeal idea. It does appear to be parts of several forms.

On a slightly different note, I'm fascinated by the differences in Bassai Dai among Karate styles. Then when you add Korean styles who perform it, it adds a whole new level of change.

There are about 15 different Okinawan versions of Passaic. I have an article on PDF that compares and contrasts them somewhere.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are about 15 different Okinawan versions of Passaic. I have an article on PDF that compares and contrasts them somewhere.

We do a very TKD-ized version of Bassai Dai. A high side kick & a high crescent kick to a target strike.:bangahead:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your version looks very similar to the Karate versions I've seen. The high crescent kicks to targets strikes in the center of your's is like ours, but we do not have them at the end like you do. We use foot sweep-level techniques there. I'm sorry I don't have our version to share. Thank you for sharing your's, sir!:asian:

OP
Koshiki

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, we do Bassai Dai, which looks like many other Bassai Dais out there. Then we do this weird thing. We don't do it like quite like the guy in the video, but I don't have a video of our school's... It's almost all the same basic techniques, just different styles of movement, really.

It's odd, that there's this form that doesn't seem to be at all well known, and that some school I've never heard of halfway across the country does it exactly the same way...

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its not weird. Its just that most tkd schools do not practice Japanese KATA anymore.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its not weird. Its just that most tkd schools do not practice Japanese KATA anymore.
Nothing Japanese about this one. It's probably something someone threw together for a tournament and it stuck around in their lineage for whatever reason.