Barbaro Euthanized

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although I do not follow horse racing, this is an interesting event.

I believe the past eight months of treatment have been heroic to preserve Barbaro for breeding stock. The medical advancements have been amazing. Last week, there were some complications on his leg that required further surgery. The challenges from that surgery led to the decision to put down the animal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070129...boQ5zYWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OTB1amhuBHNlYwNtdHM-

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't follow horse racing either, but I did hear about the injury when it first happened. From time to time, the news would mention his condition. It seems that there were a few setbacks and unfortunately, no improvement.

As hard as it is to have to do this, at least he's at peace and is not suffering anymore.:asian:

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do follow horse racing some what ecspecially around Kentucky Derby time. This is very sad news. there is just so many complications when it comes to horses injuring legs.

B

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about this today too. Sad. I was surprised they even made the efforts to save him. Yes, I understand the breeding factor, but I am a former *horse person*, having owned and showed a previously raced thoroughbred in additional to opening and running all facets of a retail tack store, so I know that with the type of leg injury Barbaro suffered, attempts to save any other horse would not have been made. It's a shame he didn't make it. I hope the end result will not dissuade future attempts.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about this today too. Sad. I was surprised they even made the efforts to save him. Yes, I understand the breeding factor, but I am a former *horse person*, having owned and showed a previously raced thoroughbred in additional to opening and running all facets of a retail tack store, so I know that with the type of leg injury Barbaro suffered, attempts to save any other horse would not have been made. It's a shame he didn't make it. I hope the end result will not dissuade future attempts.

The only reason they made that kind of effort is likely the breeding fees he would definately be getting. Those guys make a -killing- breeding a good horse.

Still, sad to see him go. I spent alot of time around horses, with my sister competing and almost always having a horse on the farm I grew up at. I tend to watch the big races and have been to a few local events. Its a fun sport to watch. Only thing I dislike is about 4 hours of hype for about 2 minutes of race.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love horses and watching an occasional horse race. It was sad to hear that they had to do that, but there was nothing else that could be done.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While the breeding was a big factor. The respect and love for the horse was also a huge part. Horses are a big deal here, Ive talked to owners and they say that they would spend any amount of money to save a horses life not only for breeding but because they are loved pets. Truly sad. There is supposedly plans in the making for some sort of ceremony at this years Derby.

B

B

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive talked to owners and they say that they would spend any amount of money to save a horses life not only for breeding but because they are loved pets. Truly sad. There is supposedly plans in the making for some sort of ceremony at this years Derby.
B

It is sad.but no animal should have to suffer..

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While the breeding was a big factor. The respect and love for the horse was also a huge part. Horses are a big deal here, Ive talked to owners and they say that they would spend any amount of money to save a horses life not only for breeding but because they are loved pets. Truly sad. There is supposedly plans in the making for some sort of ceremony at this years Derby.

B

B

I don't know about that sentiment in the racing community. Racing a 2-year-old horse BEGS for permanent injury. There is absoutely no need to race such a young animal. It is not developed nearly enough physically to sustain the constant pounding of the hooves and legs repeatedly, racing on the hard surface of the track, much less with another 120 pounds on it's back. Most young horses being raised for personal pleasure are not *started* with a person on the back until around age 3. And then the going is slow. (Ground work is started sooner but that's it). Horses can live well into their 30's. Well cared for horses are going strong well into their 20's. There is no reason to use up a young animal like that, no reason not to wait until the horse is a fully developed 5-year-old except money.

The horse racing business is also peppered with shady practices such as crooked vets and drugging horses. It is a money sport. I'm not saying Barbaros owners did not love the horse, but I am saying overall in the horse racing community those efforts are not made unless there is the prospect of large stud fees down the road. I wonder if Barbaro did not have the success before the injury if efforts still would have made knowing he would not bring large sums in stud fees.

I believe the people you spoke with do love their horses. But in the professional racing community, money, not love for the animal, drives the sport.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about that sentiment in the racing community. Racing a 2-year-old horse BEGS for permanent injury. There is absoutely no need to race such a young animal. It is not developed nearly enough physically to sustain the constant pounding of the hooves and legs repeatedly, racing on the hard surface of the track, much less with another 120 pounds on it's back. Most young horses being raised for personal pleasure are not *started* with a person on the back until around age 3. And then the going is slow. (Ground work is started sooner but that's it). Horses can live well into their 30's. Well cared for horses are going strong well into their 20's. There is no reason to use up a young animal like that, no reason not to wait until the horse is a fully developed 5-year-old except money.

The horse racing business is also peppered with shady practices such as crooked vets and drugging horses. It is a money sport. I'm not saying Barbaros owners did not love the horse, but I am saying overall in the horse racing community those efforts are not made unless there is the prospect of large stud fees down the road. I wonder if Barbaro did not have the success before the injury if efforts still would have made knowing he would not bring large sums in stud fees.

I believe the people you spoke with do love their horses. But in the professional racing community, money, not love for the animal, drives the sport.
Good point.

I know that people have tried in the past to change the rules for older horses in place of younger ones ( i believe), but its such a big part of our history that its hard to change something like that.

As far as corruption goes. I dont know Im sure there is some like in any sport. Its sad though cause its affecting the life of the animals not their own lives.

B

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point.

I know that people have tried in the past to change the rules for older horses in place of younger ones ( i believe), but its such a big part of our history that its hard to change something like that.

As far as corruption goes. I dont know Im sure there is some like in any sport. Its sad though cause its affecting the life of the animals not their own lives.

B

It is sad. But like you said, history plays a factor. People don't like change, especially when it involves the loss of money. Hopefully people who really love horses will start becoming owners of winning racers and can make some strides (no pun intended :p) in the sport. :asian:

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is sad. But like you said, history plays a factor. People don't like change, especially when it involves the loss of money. Hopefully people who really love horses will start becoming owners of winning racers and can make some strides (no pun intended :p) in the sport. :asian:
Hopefully!

Incase anyone is interested they have announced that they nay bury him at Churchill Downs outside the muesem.

B