Bad wallstreet occupyer behavior

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, far be it from me to interrupt this ideological hate-orgy goin on, but does anyone have actual numbers or idea how prevalent the violent or irresponsible behavior among the Wall Street Occupiers is? I ask because if you put even 1000 randomly-assorted people together, you're going to have some jackasses in the group. That goes double for a widespread movement that was organized through something as random as a social network.

Ideologically speaking, I agree with some of what the protestors are about, but I think they're barking up the wrong tree. Yelling at Wall Street for being greedy is like yelling at a teenager for being hormonal. They should be squatting on Washington's steps, pun intended. But they're the ones carrying the torches and risking arrest, not me, so I'll let them pick their own targets.

Bottom line: anyone know if these reports are actually representative of the Wall Street Occupiers, or are we just cherry-picking outliers so we can continue the hate-orgy? I just want to be clear, since I really don't know.
Such data would be a lot easier to get at if the OWS scum, did not, like the "Million man march" drastically inflate their numbers.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The estimates are "thousands".

Sounds large, until you put it in perspective.
US Population 315 Million.
Lets say 10,000 protesters across the US.

--------

.003% of the population.

In other news:
[h=2]Occupy DC Activists Block Adam Kokesh From Recording Gathering[/h] While I support the ongoing activism springing up around the country, I really can't stand when activists believe they have the authority to prevent others from video recording them. This usually happens when they believe the videographer doesn't agree with their political stance. It ends up making them look stupid, naive and hypocritical. After all, the First Amendment doesn't just apply to them.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The estimates are "thousands".

Sounds large, until you put it in perspective.
US Population 315 Million.
Lets say 10,000 protesters across the US.

--------

.003% of the population.

In other news:

I was wondering more about the percentage within the OWS crowd who were getting violent. Seems a lot of the forumites in this thread want to just chalk them all up as "OWS scum", or as a violent group ready to start setting off bombs. I'm questioning the accuracy of those portrayals.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering more about the percentage within the OWS crowd who were getting violent. Seems a lot of the forumites in this thread want to just chalk them all up as "OWS scum", or as a violent group ready to start setting off bombs. I'm questioning the accuracy of those portrayals.

Arrests at this time top 2,000. Some are likely repeats. Most released within a few hours.
Most of the reports of violence that I've seen has been on the part of NYPD, not protesters.
I'm seeing dozens of protesters cited on violence charges, which is a small small percentage of the estimated 4,000 or so in NYC.
Hundreds of claims of assault by police however, caught on video. However I'm not interested enough to micro-analyze the clips to weed out dupes and multiple angles of same incident.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/10/two_occupy_portland_supporters.html

Two taggers supporting the Occupy Portland demonstration were arrested early this morning and accused of spraying paint on a police car and a downtown Portland business, the Portland Police Bureau reported.

View attachment $cop-ca.jpg

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46739

In a related matter, a man arrested for spraying graffiti at the Occupy Portland protest missed his court date. A court appearance for Nolan Zane MacGregor, 21, was rescheduled for Oct. 21 when he didn’t show up.

MacGregor was arrested along with an unidentified 17-year-old on suspicion of tagging phrases including “Occupy Portland” and “Wall Street Loves No One” on buildings and a marked police car.

Ah, the courage of his convictions; he spray-paints police cars, but refuses to show up in court. Well, there's a citizen for lawful protest, eh?
The Portland Police Bureau said Saturday that it is investigating an allegation of a sexual assault Friday night in Chapman Square where “Occupy Portland” supporters are camping.

Gee, rapists too. But they're just peaceful protesters, right?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s2320278.shtml

"We had a small group, part of the protest, they went into some businesses, started spitting on people," said APD spokesman Patrick Ficke. "Some of the people were scared. They were videotaping them to give to us for evidence, and (protesters) were knocking those phones out of people's hands. People trying to call 9-1-1, they were knocking those phones away."

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have a job? Don't say that too loudly while you are down there, they might mistake you for a corporate stooge infiltrating the protest. Then you really would have to be concerned for your safety.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you behave the way some of this scum has been, yeah.

Somehow, I think simply standing on the street would be enough for some.

I sense the urge to paint everyone with the broad brush here. When protests are going on in over 1000 cities, it's easy to find some people who get out of control and demonize the rest of the group with those examples. And, in the past, I've already been in a peaceful demonstration that has been "dispersed" by the police. Some cops dress up as anarchists, cause trouble, and then they bring the hammer down on the rest of us. It's the oldest trick in the book.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/49730--socorro-man-arrested-after-corporate-greed-protest

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Police say a Socorro man was arrested after nearly 200 people protesting corporate greed during a march along Central Avenue in Albuquerque.

Officers took 23-year-old Hani Barghout into custody Saturday for allegedly causing a disturbance while attempting to get other demonstrators to break the law.

The Albuquerque Journal (http://bit.ly/pBU4DF) says Barghout went into several businesses along Central — from Yale to San Mateo — harassing store owners and customers and spit on people while ignoring police warnings.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a crock, and you know it.
I sense the urge to paint everyone with the broad brush here. When protests are going on in over 1000 cities,
1000 cities? Is that like 57 states? Is it like a Million man march?
it's easy to find some people who get out of control and demonize the rest of the group with those examples. And, in the past, I've already been in a peaceful demonstration that has been "dispersed" by the police. Some cops dress up as anarchists, cause trouble, and then they bring the hammer down on the rest of us. It's the oldest trick in the book.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a crock, and you know it. 1000 cities? Is that like 57 states? Is it like a Million man march?

It's not a crock. Some people want the crowds dispersed no matter what they are doing. Like I said, I've already been "dispersed" at a peaceful demonstration. I've seen it happen.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

Exactly. The critics are hardly covering themselves in glory here. The acts of literally a few individuals out of many thousands are being used to judge the group as a whole and justify violence against the whole. Shameful and hypocritical. Is hippie-punching really that much fun? Grow up.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never tried "hippie" punching, but I would guess that you would need to get some shots first and have anti-bacterial soap handy afterward?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/it_nyc_lam_sterdam_bmE4vlV5aDUWhBRv9IbaiK

Lured by cheap drugs and free food, creepy thugs have infiltrated the crowd of protesters camped out in Zuccotti Park for Occupy Wall Street, The Post has learned.

“I got warrants. I’m running from the law,” boasted Dave, 24, a scrawny, unshaven miscreant in filthy clothes from Stamford, Conn. “I’m not even supposed to be here, but it’s as good a spot as any to hide.”

Wanted for burglary, the drug-addled fugitive said some of his hard-partying pals clued him in that the protest was a good place to be fed, get wasted and crash.

Drugs can be easy to score -- a Post reporter was offered pot for $15 and heroin for $10.

They’ve already fueled at least one violent incident, when a wasted nut job socked a medical volunteer in the face before others hauled the attacker away.
“The other day, there was a guy charging people $5 to use the McDonald’s bathroom. He was on LSD or high on something.”
But as the protest ground on for a 23rd day, it was evident that there were challenges.

Zuccotti Park smelled like an open sewer -- with people urinating and defecating in public.

And some couples have taken advantage of the free condoms distributed by organizers to do the nasty in full view of other protesters.

“It kinda makes me think of what Woodstock must have been like,” said one protester, Sarah, 19 from the Upper West Side.

“I haven’t hooked up with any guys ... but one of my friends did have sex in a tarp with a guy last night.”

The free chow offered to protesters was boosting the crowd.

“People say they are here for the cause, but the real reason is the free food,” quipped Cameron, 26, of Jersey City.

“On my third day, they had smoked salmon with cream cheese. You know how much smoked salmon is a pound? Sixteen dollars. I eat better here than I do with my parents!”

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly. The critics are hardly covering themselves in glory here. The acts of literally a few individuals out of many thousands are being used to judge the group as a whole and justify violence against the whole. Shameful and hypocritical. Is hippie-punching really that much fun? Grow up.
Oh really? You were fine with it when LaRouche supporters were used to paint the Tea Party as racist...

Latest Discussions