Backbend from standing advice

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey all! I’m struggling to get the backbend from standing. I can go into the wheel pose just pushing up from the ground. I can also walk my hands down the wall into the backbend.

But when I do it on my own onto a couch, my hands slide out when I hit the surface and I land on my head. Anyone else experience this or have advice?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey all! I’m struggling to get the backbend from standing. I can go into the wheel pose just pushing up from the ground. I can also walk my hands down the wall into the backbend.

But when I do it on my own onto a couch, my hands slide out when I hit the surface and I land on my head. Anyone else experience this or have advice?
What is the reason you are working on this?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personal goals, would like to achieve some low level gymnastics skills (such as backbends, cartwheels, backhand springs, etc)
Fair enough. You posted in the Chinese martial arts section, I was wondering if this was specifically connected to your training.

OP
spidersam

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough. You posted in the Chinese martial arts section, I was wondering if this was specifically connected to your training.

Oh I see. Reason is, many wushu/KF students are able to do these moves.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I see. Reason is, many wushu/KF students are able to do these moves.
Yes, if you are doing the performance-oriented Modern Wushu. If you are doing the older, traditional fighting Kung fu, then probably not.

Some years ago I was working on back bends too. My lower back began to ache consistently, so I stopped doing it. I have no need for it, in what I train.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My.
God.
Said the 59-year old man.

I tried twerking once.
Threw out my back.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My.
God.

I tried twerking once.
Threw out my back.
yes indeed, when I was a young kid 10 or so, that was all the rage and I couldn't do it then, but I could do an Ariel somersault, and I can do that now either.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting to a point with my Tibetan 5 Rites practice that I think minor gymnastics are the next progression. Headstands, back bridge really obvious progressions from some of these. The order and flavor I was shown these was a little different but ultimately the same. It was a bagua school so I learned the spinning with arms out at the same time as square or box stepping and one hand in lifting palm, from the video vs how I was taught 2 and 3 were transposed, otherwise it's pretty much the same. My friend who does circus props and handstands and so forth really liked working this set, he said it was pretty obviously building core strength.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My.
God.

I tried twerking once.
Threw out my back.

Fifty nine year old men probably shouldn't twerk. They should, however, remain gentlemen, be ever vigilant and always provide a seat for the lady twerker to sit on.