Back in time

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
2kodokan.jpg
[/IMG]

Left a friend, Preston Pugh (nidan) standing by statue of Kano at Kodokan in 1961. Right me by stature in March 2002. Old fart returns!

Attachments

• $2kodokan.jpg
    $2kodokan.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 243

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A statue of Jigaro Kano! It's obvious that there would be one but I hadn't thought about it before.

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
His statue is hard to find now since when I looked a truck and a van were parked right up against it blocking it from the street view. Parking in Tokyo is at a premium! Anyway, we came back after eating in the Italian restaurant down stairs and the autos wee gone so I could get a picture of me next to it.

The first time I was in that Kodokan, the old one is now a boxing gym, it was right after it was finished in 1959. Only the railroad tracks were close by then. Now it is lost within all the skyscrapers. Even they have added several more floors to the Kodokan since I was there last. :mad: :D Just kidding

I did notice they moved the plaque that says "Kodokan Judo Imnstitute," in Japanese, to behind Kano.

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
judoteam.jpg

Wow, old stuff. In the attached image is an old newspaper photo taken of the 1962 313th Air Div Judo team from Okianwa ready to go to Japan. I am standing to the far left.

In right image it's me again but this time I'm only 19 years old! The photo was taken outside the Naha AB Gym Judo dojo. Can a person actually have been that young? :D

:asian:

Attachments

• $judoteam.jpg
    $judoteam.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 254
OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lucky? :) Life past me like a blink of the eye. I was 12 when I first learned falling ways and Ogoshi. I am 62 now. It's like my mind went from kuzushi (12 - 32) then drive (32 - 42) and hen excute (52-62) Ogoshi - it seems lkike it went that fast. :asian:

After a few years in the Air Force I managed to get my undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, then got out after eight years and went to work with Link Aviation (flight simulators) as a field engineer. Then after finishing my BSEE I learned to spell errectreektical engineer and was one for 35 more years. From 1973 on I have been also engaged in scientific research as a planetary astronomer/observer/author and from all that experience learned how to research most anything else. It’s like a compulsive hobby to look into the nature of everything.

People-study is also a hobby and I found over the years that Martial Arts people are a study for sure. Anyway, so many of the old gang is dying off now and it seems like they are just forgotten. From my association in astronomy, where everyone who works in the field ends up in some history book. It seems that the only real compensation for working in astronomical research is getting your name in print because the pay is lousy. That is why so many of us are either engineers or doctors. That pays well and supports our weird hobbies – like Judo and astronomy.

Jigoro Kano, founder of Kodokan Judo, wrote about the many facets of Judo and he seemed to be telling us that there is a measure of scientific method in practicing Judo. The more advanced study in Judo, i.e., kata, physical fitness, self-defense, etc., is based on sound scientific methods, even though it borders on pseudo science as all human nature study is. When we think about how easy we humans accomplish certain tasks in life and then try to explain it then the mystery begins. Since no two people are the same this study is difficult at best. We humans tend to “cook” the books when subjective elements are introduced into the equation. In other words, human nature study such as psychology and even Judo techniques are too close to being subjective that we just go along with much we are told about it all.

Maybe as we grow older we can get though some of the BS and see our Judo study for what it is – hard work! This hard work then can be watched, emulated by others, and then even duplicated to some extent. In some ways that too is scientific method.

So, from the 50 years since I began Judo and having a scientific background I may be able to cut through t he fog enough to just think I understand it all. Hum, old saying coming up: "The fog is so fine that you can't hold it in your hands, yet it can hide a mountain.” (In Japanese it loosely translated into: “fukai kiri eme mo motenai kaku reru daizan”)

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
PhilMeDon.jpg

The blond kid in front is my son and is now 36 years old, in the Navy for nearly 15 years and a Naval Lieutenant! The two older guys actually had dark hair in 1974 when this photo was taken! Phil Porter on left and me right. Good old days gone by.

Attachments

• $philmedon.jpg
    $philmedon.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 240

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing! Did your son stick with it?

Did you compete? Have you ever used Judo in a self-defense situation?

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He was in Judo from the age of five until he finished high school. After college he joined the Navy and worked out sometimes abroad ship and at some of the bases he was stationed at. Now he lives in Japan and is busy with his Master's program, but does work out occasionally off base. He was a good competitor in his teens, but like any other red blooded American teenager, he gave Judo up for girls. He is 36 now, married with three kids, one does Judo.

I started competing after joining the Air Force in 1959. Before that there was so little Judo where I lived it wasn't practical to have tournaments. While living in Japan and Okinawa I attended shiai (contest) practically ever week for two years and occasionally Air Force tournaments. In 1960, '61, and '62 I went from Okinawa to Japan in big AF shiai. Only done good in 1961 when I messed up and won the 5th AF (Yakoda, JP), PACAF (Hawaii), then All-AF (USA) 140-pound class. I stopped competing in 1965.

Self-defense yes. In 1961 the AF sent me to the Kodokan for a five-week Combative Measures Instructors school. So, I taught it for decades. I found it more practical to defend myself on rare occasions with jujitsu/Judo techniques rather than use karate. It was a lot safer for the other dude. Once after downing too many beers a nasty guy took exception to me talking with a young lady and hit me in the forehead with a beer bottle. Well, I think it is called uraken in Japanese, but I hit the guy in the mouth wit ha back-fist that took out most of his front teeth, broke his jaw. Before the blood from the forehead cut blinded me I hit him again with something and he went down. Needless to say we left in a hurry before the cops got us. Nasty stuff that karate, especially when you instinctively react to a situation - without restraint.

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Four clubs in the 1970's in Miami. Two were 150+ members and two were 50+ members. Made an old man out of me managing all those kids!

Attachments

• $4clubs.jpg
    $4clubs.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 237

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I assisted Robby Robinson at Bergstrom AFB, in the mid-1960's and we won the largest Judo club in the world award two years in a row. Someone on Guam beat us out the third year. Can't remember how many we had, but we ran two kids classes, twice a week and two senior classes four nights a week, and a police class on the weekends. I think we ran Judo and kenpo class six days a week. I was also at the Kittyhawk club (Ohio) in 1968-69 and they had hundreds of members. I had at least a hundred kids on the mat twice during the week and on Saturday.

Even in the 1970's clubs in Miami had hundreds of members. I still have several Bronze Club Charter thingies on the wall for 150 members each. It seemed to go down hill in the 1980’s. Too many lawsuits, lost friendships and down right hatred amongst Judo organizations.

I just faded away like most old Judo sensei or coaches as some call us. Judo politics became the in thing. I rank politicians down about at the same level as swamp slime.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mentioned training lots of kids when you were teaching. I've got a question for you, if you don't mind. I'm teaching my 12 year old son a bit of grappling (BJJ, though I studied Judo for a year and a half when I was in college and so I tend to do a bit more stand-up as part of it). He recently got fairly extensive orthodontia and will have it for another two years. Any tips on not cutting his mouth up while we train?

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Get him a mouthpiece like boxers use. Ask the orthodontist for a mouth protector – it only costs money .:D Many of the kids I taught had them, but I never thought about it much – the parent took care of that .:D Just be careful. One thing people forget is that Martial Arts, Judo among them, it that we learnd to deal with adversity. The Marine corp teaches their grunts to deal with it.

Well, got to run to Sebring for the big fireworks show.

:p

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hadn't found this thread befor today Jeff your views on how Judo has change would be welcomed. Do you think that the level of training and the intensity are lacking now or is it that in order to compet with the ranks and egos in other arts that grading is now not as hard.

What was the biggest difference that you noticed in the practice area?

Shadow:asian:

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ego had a lot to do with it. I can't really say if the training is as intense now as back in years past. I haven't been on the mat in over ten years, so I am not current with the happenings in Judo.

It is hard to say what he difference is. The great names in American Judo that I have posted here still are involved in some way. Jim Bregman is back as president of the USJA and was touring with George Harris recently. I occasionally read-in the Judo list or e-mail with some Judo friends but news of Judo events are few. It just didn’t work out like many of us thought it would. Of course, some of the major players of the past are gone now, so the news of the old days begin to slip away.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The loss of people that takes place over the year is one of things we incounter as we grow older, Looking for the names we knew and not finding them was always a surprise to me. Trying to figure out who this new (to me) kid is and who he studied from is sometimes confuseing but it dose lead us back to the roots often. I guess its the sam in all the Martial Arts.

Do you feel that Judo was hurt by the Kodokan trying to keep such tight grip on what was allowed and promotons?

Shadow:asian:

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO it was not the Kodokan’s problem or fault, it was the establishment nisei (2nd generation Japanese-Americans) Judo bosses that ran the Judo Black Belt Federation of the past. Prior to the 1950’s only a few non-Japanese-Americans practiced Judo. In t he early 1950’s more and more non-Japanese-Americans were exposed to Judo either from their military experience or living in areas where Judo was popular.

Many of us were involved in Judo from being stationed in the Far East in the military and learned at the Kodokan and even better Judo dojos and were promoted into the black belt ranks early in life. Many of the military people I know came back from the Far East in the sandan or yodan ranks, moist of us were shodan or nidan. That is where we all stayed for decades because the JBBF would never allow us to advance. They used the excuse that we did not have the skills, etc., and more bovine excrement, so we had a big falling out. Plus, when the Air Force Judo Association encompassed the whole military and we became the Armed Forces Judo Association (AFJA), we had the largest yudanshakai in the JBBF, but our votes did not count wit the same weight as the nisei populated yudanshakai. Even thought many of the AFJA were nisei and their sons, we were still second rate citizens.

I always managed to secure a Kodokan tank license (certificate) because I knew some higher-ranking Kodokan Judo sensei and just asked them to send me one when I was promoted. The JBF thought they were soul proprietors of rank in the USA, but the Kodokan really had the authority so I just went to them. That’s the good thing about them being the big bosses of rank. Recently while visiting my son at Atsugi NAF, Japan he took us down to the Kodokan to visit. I had not been there in over 40 years so it was a thrill for me for sure. I would have never found it anyway, since all the tall buildings hide it now.

Anyway, when I was talking with the museum curator we discovered that we had been at the Kodokan at the time when it was first opened and I showed him my life membership card. He was surprised that I still had it! He asked what my rank was and if I was licensed by the IJF. Yes, but my certificate had been ruined during hurricane Andrew and I wanted to replace it. We went next door and he had one made for me, I paid something like $10 in yen. No problem GI.

It was okay by me that the Kodokan had sole authority for Judo rank. They took away the JBBF’s authority more than once I am told. It’s all political BS anyway. Everyone pays for the paper so what’s the big deal?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-Mod. Note-

Deleted duplicate post.

Cthulhu
-MT Mod.-

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffbeish

judoteam.jpg

Wow, old stuff. In the attached image is an old newspaper photo taken of the 1962 313th Air Div Judo team from Okianwa ready to go to Japan. I am standing to the far left.

In right image it's me again but this time I'm only 19 years old! The photo was taken outside the Naha AB Gym Judo dojo. Can a person actually have been that young? :D

:asian:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DustyMars

See if you can find Preston and Hatch, I am standing at left and in right image I was only 19 years old!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It occurred to me after looking at the image in my previous message, judoteam.jpg, that my generation of staunch Republican conservatives screwed up by not getting more involved in the “civil right” movement. This photo was taken of a bunch of military Judo players who treated each other like brothers and for years afterward, during the early 1960’s. Our life in Judo taught us more than just techniques – like welfare and benefit for all – something many other Martian Arts do not do. One may wonder what a different it would have made if some of us would have stood up and kicked some establishment political butt back then. The way of the world.

Old saying cometh forth: "I choose the path of my conscious." (Meaning: From birth you are given many paths of life of which to choose; choose one then travel it well, as it passes but once in your life time.” In Japanese: “ ryo shin no michi wo yuku).”

Latest Discussions