Back in the Saddle Again

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as some of you may know, I used to own a horse. He was a 9-year-old raced Thoroughbred that I did Hunters (and some Dressage) with. I also owned a tack shop and was a certified NARHA (North American Riding for the Handicapped Association) Instructor. So, needless to say, I was quite into it.

That was many years ago. Due to personal reasons I sold my horse 8 years ago and that was the last time I've been on a horse.

I have a long time friend here whose daughter is 8 months into a high risk pregnancy (her baby will be born with spina bifida) that has a Thoroughbred/Hanovarian mare.

Her daughter cannot ride now and will not have time after the baby is born. So I was asked if I would exercise Rose for her. I accepted, but 8 years is a long time to come back after not riding at all during that time.

I went to the barn for the first time yesterday and got on Rose for a short while. Her owner (my friend) is so happy to have me on her, she now wants me to pick up my training again using Rose and offered to pay for weekly lessons, which I accepted. :)

I have 2 pictures below, one at the canter, and one telling her "good girl" afterward. I know my position is terrible and I should have lowered the stirrups a bit (they were close enough so I didn't adjust them). Rose's head is too high at the canter (she has to wear a martingale) but we'll work on getting it down. :)

I don't know how I feel about getting back into this again, I love horses, I love riding, but I've been away from it for so long without missing it much. I kind of burned out and got busy with other things, like martial arts. heh

It did feel good to be back in the saddle yesterday, so I'm sure this will end up being a good thing. But I think this time around I'm going to stay away from the show arena and stick strictly to hobby instead of competition.

Anyway, I know this is long, but thought I'd share because I think this will turn out to be a good thing in my life.

Attachments

• $at the canter.jpg
    $at the canter.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 155
  • $telling rose good girl.jpg
    $telling rose good girl.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 151

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! It sounds like it was a real passion for you and maybe it should still be a part of your life but in a different way than before.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh wow!

And here I was thinking you were going to sing us some Aerosmith. ;)

That is FANTASTIC Pam!

My sister and her husband have a family farm (read: they are just barely keeping their heads above water) but they do not raise livestock. My niece fell in love with horses as a young girl and once expressed a desire to be a vet. She started helping out a family friend that owns horses on their farm. When she became old enough to work a part time job, she started assisting a veterinarian in the county and managed to adopt a thoroughbred that became homeless after an unfortunate series of events. She named him Tristan and she became quite the equestrienne, competing in many local events and even earning a chance to train in Australia in a way that didn't require my sister to outlay a significant amount of money.

I don't think she will become a vet, she never outgrew the learning difficulties that dogged her growing up. She's now in the National Guard, training in Georgia and awaiting word as to whether she will be going overseas or not. While she has been away, Tristan has been boarded at a stable where he will be cared for and ridden on a regular basis. I know she misses him terribly, and I'm grateful for the folks that are riding Tristan while she is away.

It really means a lot to be doing something like this Pam. I am so glad you can help your friend :asian:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh wow!

And here I was thinking you were going to sing us some Aerosmith. ;)

That is FANTASTIC Pam!

My sister and her husband have a family farm (read: they are just barely keeping their heads above water) but they do not raise livestock. My niece fell in love with horses as a young girl and once expressed a desire to be a vet. She started helping out a family friend that owns horses on their farm. When she became old enough to work a part time job, she started assisting a veterinarian in the county and managed to adopt a thoroughbred that became homeless after an unfortunate series of events. She named him Tristan and she became quite the equestrienne, competing in many local events and even earning a chance to train in Australia in a way that didn't require my sister to outlay a significant amount of money.

I don't think she will become a vet, she never outgrew the learning difficulties she had growing up. She's now in the National Guard, training in Georgia and awaiting word as to whether she will be going overseas or not. While she has been away, Tristan has been boarded at a stable where he will be cared for and ridden on a regular basis. I know she misses him terribly, and I'm grateful for the folks that are riding Tristan while she is away.

It really means a lot to be doing something like this Pam. I am so glad you can help your friend :asian:

HA! You got it. I was playing off Aerosmith. :D

That is fantastic for your niece, many thanks to her for her service. :asian:
This is a new phase in her life and she can have peace that though she misses him, Tristan is being well cared for, and she will be able to continue her training when the time is right.

Thanks for sharing.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unlike Carol I had Gene Autry's version as opposed to Aerosmith, pop up in my head at first. I'm not that much older than her... dammit, I'm not I'm not I'm not! :tantrum:
But happily Steven Tyler's screaming voice and Joe Perry's guitar came immediately crashing over it the soundtrack in my head and *sigh* ... I feel better now.

It has been a long while since I've been in the saddle myself. Loved riding but circumstances just didn't allow for it to happen.
Great story Pam and thanks a lot for sharing, it's always nice to see the other sides of our members here. There is more to us than just MA (I know, shocking huh?) but it's only part of what makes us who we are.

I'm sure it'll be a great thing back in your life, keep us posted... loved the pics... love to see more.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! I was a riding instructor for quite a while, and owned horses for many years--can't afford them any more, I'm afraid. : (

BTW, your position isn't that bad--your eyes need to come up a bit and you're sitting on your hands. Moving your hands out of your lap a bit might help Rose learn to bring her head down. But your basic position looks very nice, and she appears to be a lovely horse.

I'm happy for you! Have fun.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway, I know this is long, but thought I'd share because I think this will turn out to be a good thing in my life.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your post and the pictures because it brought back some of my own memories of our horses (APHA) when I was a teen and showing at the county fair (Western).

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! I was a riding instructor for quite a while, and owned horses for many years--can't afford them any more, I'm afraid. : (

BTW, your position isn't that bad--your eyes need to come up a bit and you're sitting on your hands. Moving your hands out of your lap a bit might help Rose learn to bring her head down. But your basic position looks very nice, and she appears to be a lovely horse.

I'm happy for you! Have fun.

Thanks for the feedback. :) It's been a loooong time, I'm quite rusty. Hard to believe I've won ribbons in the past for equitation looking at that! lol I'll try letting her have her head a bit more next time. I do recall doing a quick check on her lead at one point (I've lost my feel), this pic may have captured it, that, or more likely it's me needing to improve. :D

Yes, horses are VERY expensive. I hope someday you can get back into too, if you so desire. What did you teach?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry Caver but I vote Aerosmith :D

That's great Pam
icon14.gif
, horse riding was something I always wanted to try but I never really got past the pony ride stage as a kid.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very cool. Personally, I'd never ride anything with a mind of its own but I respect those of you who know how to come to an understanding with these great beasties.
icon14.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet Jade! Brings back memories of being a kid as I grew up with lots of horses.
icon6.gif
I used to love shooting off of some of our horses.
icon14.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great post and awesome pictures, Pam. I don't know much about horses, but I do know about stepping out and rediscovering past ambitions. I love all animals, so I feel your inner passion to reconnect in a much less competitive setting. Life is for us to enjoy, but sadly, to few of us grasp the opportunity when it presents itself.
icon7.gif

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. :) It's been a loooong time, I'm quite rusty. Hard to believe I've won ribbons in the past for equitation looking at that! lol I'll try letting her have her head a bit more next time. I do recall doing a quick check on her lead at one point (I've lost my feel), this pic may have captured it, that, or more likely it's me needing to improve. :D

Yes, horses are VERY expensive. I hope someday you can get back into too, if you so desire. What did you teach?

You'll get that feel back quickly--it only took me a few rides after being groundbound for years.

I taught mostly hunt seat (geared toward breed shows, not hunter jumper circuit shows, though); some western, and even beginner saddle seat when I worked at an Arabian breeding farm. There are style differences, of course, but the basic position is always the same.

Have fun with Rose!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll get that feel back quickly--it only took me a few rides after being groundbound for years.

I taught mostly hunt seat (geared toward breed shows, not hunter jumper circuit shows, though); some western, and even beginner saddle seat when I worked at an Arabian breeding farm. There are style differences, of course, but the basic position is always the same.

Have fun with Rose!

Thanks Stacey. That's encouraging. :) You're right about the basic position no matter the style. :asian: I've never ridden saddle seat, I've ridden western, but I prefer English. I am getting excited about riding again though. And oh, I am sore now! lol

*pops up and chants* more pics more pics more pics... :D :wavey:

Lemmee get some practice under my belt and I'll post some going over the jumps. The barn Rose is at has shows going on this weekend and next weekend, so I won't start training until the week after that. It will take some time but I'll get more pics up down the road. Thanks for asking Caver. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife did equestrian events in H.S. and always hoped we'd have a place big enough to keep a horse!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife did equestrian events in H.S. and always hoped we'd have a place big enough to keep a horse!

Maybe someday Jeff. :) Horses are very expensive to keep, whether you board them or have them on your property, but they are a pleasure to care for and ride.

Latest Discussions