Back Belt Pride or showing off?

OP
caped crusader

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I couldn't care less what people tattoo on themselves. Why would I? It's their body
Depends if you want a job or not ...lol
BbPF7bK.jpg
8e24c7a8bae744b6b58daa52c7a8fed3.jpg

OP
caped crusader

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sure, there are plenty of tattoos I personally would consider bad choices. But as long as they're not harming anyone else, I think people get to make whatever stupid decisions they want.
Yes true. I mean I had a large naked woman on my right inner arm which I covered some years ago with a coy fish. Was working as a trainer at the time and an old guy in the gym asked me why I covered it..He liked it !
Said she was a beautiful woman :D

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not saying all are fake and it's up to them. I wouldn't do it even in the USA given that there are people from certain countries moving freely who have motivation to attack the USA or UK.
You know what I mean. But again it's a Personal decision to make.
Honestly the chances of someone attacking me (Or any service member with a military tat) are so slim it's not worth even worrying about. Could it happen sure? Will it happen nope.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you equally against the Olympic Athletes that get the Olympic Rings tats?
For the answer, you only have to read the line you quoted just before. For your convenience, I have repeated it below:
It's to show honor to something beyond themselves that they share with others. (An organizational tattoo may do this.)
I think the Olympic Rings qualifies as an organizational symbol and something beyond the individual athlete.
stolen valour guys - There is a group in the UK who Hunt them down
Good! I think (hope) it's a crime in the US, but not pursued as aggressively as it should. The offender should be publicly humiliated. I take it personal as an American, and have not even been in the service! Had I actually served and came across one of these low life thieves, he would be more than publicly humiliated. I would see it as my duty to my brothers in arms.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the answer, you only have to read the line you quoted just before. For your convenience, I have repeated it below:

I think the Olympic Rings qualifies as an organizational symbol and something beyond the individual athlete.
lol ok so a BJJ guy competing in the Olympics can get the rings and that's ok but not his belt.....
Good! I think (hope) it's a crime in the US, but not pursued as aggressively as it should. The offender should be publicly humiliated. I take it personal as an American, and have not even been in the service! Had I actually served and came across one of these low life thieves, he would be more than publicly humiliated. I would see it as my duty to my brothers in arms.
It is a crime only if they attempt to use the fake military service for financial gain. Wearing the uniforms and saying you're a SEAL, Ranger, Marine, or whatever you want to claim is protected under the 1st Amendment as long as your not trying to gain from it ie. a vets discount at a restaurant or trying to get donations.

OP
caped crusader

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Honestly the chances of someone attacking me (Or any service member with a military tat) are so slim it's not worth even worrying about. Could it happen sure? Will it happen nope.
Well I hope not. You see maybe a different mentality in the US about vets. We were used to terrorists coming over and attacking us even in Germany. Car bombs. Infact it was normal drills to Check your car every morning, underneath. Some people were killed by car bombs. So when we traveled in the UK it was forbidden to wear uniforms. I never even carried an army bag. This was normal for us. Certainly no big tattoos. Trust me the SAS/SBS would never allow their guys to wear tattoos exposing them. The exact opposite is true. They shun any publicity and move around anonomously.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I hope not. You see maybe a different mentality in the US about vets. We were used to terrorists coming over and attacking us even in Germany. Car bombs. Infact it was normal drills to Check your car every morning, underneath. Some people were killed by car bombs. So when we traveled in the UK it was forbidden to wear uniforms. I never even carried an army bag. This was normal for us. Certainly no big tattoos. Trust me the SAS/SBS would never allow their guys to wear tattoos exposing them. The exact opposite is true. They shun any publicity and move around anonomously.
I talked to an SAS guy who thought I had been involved with a similar organization, based upon the scars on my hands and arms.
He brought it up in front of his friends, and in front my work friends / associates.
It was at the Ranch (Death Valley) After a long day of working and testing in the heat, I was soaking in the pool.
He had no issue with calling me out, and blowing my cover if I had been in such a group.

I just find it hard to accept Never and Always , when applying to a group of people.

OP
caped crusader

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I talked to an SAS guy who thought I had been involved with a similar organization, based upon the scars on my hands and arms.
He brought it up in front of his friends, and in front my work friends / associates.
It was at the Ranch (Death Valley) After a long day of working and testing in the heat, I was soaking in the pool.
He had no issue with calling me out, and blowing my cover if I had been in such a group.

I just find it hard to accept Never and Always , when applying to a group of people.
Can't comment on that because I was not there or know the guy. I'm very surprised though. There have been some ex SAS guys writing books over the last years. A few have gone on talk Shows. Before in the 80s it was never heard of. I know that the British MOD stopped a couple of people writing books.
A sign of the times I suppose.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't comment on that because I was not there or know the guy. I'm very surprised though. There have been some ex SAS guys writing books over the last years. A few have gone on talk Shows. Before in the 80s it was never heard of. I know that the British MOD stopped a couple of people writing books.
A sign of the times I suppose.

The year was 1999 for reference

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a USMC tat on my left forearm. Same as my dad, same as Master John Bartesevics too. I got it in Oceanside in 81. I was drunk as a skunk and fell off my motorcycle when I got on to ride back to base. Laid in the gutter for awhile until the rain woke me up.

Anyone is free to call me stolen valor. 🙂

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’d get a tattoo of Renzo’s gym logo….

And I never trained there.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've considered getting a belt as an armband tattoo. On one tail would be stripes for my TKD degrees. On the other, (when I get there) my stripes for my HKD degrees. I'm planning on getting 4th in TKD and 2nd in HKD before I leave my school and move halfway across the country.

Not sure how I would add a third to it if I picked up a new art and stuck with it to black belt. Although that would be a problem for Future Skribs.

I'm not saying I would do it. But if I were to get a tattoo, it would be high on my list. Martial arts is something I've spent 15 years of my life doing. It's something that brought me and my parents closer together after I moved out. It's brought me several friendships, better health, even a girlfriend at one point. If there's anything that defines me, it's this.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see there are threads already about tattoos in martial arts. Not against tattoos as I have some myself but is getting belts put "on your arm" taking it a bit too far? Or is it simply pride?
View attachment 27615
Meh. I kinda don't care.

At one point, I had kept all the belts I'd ever earned. When I was young I thought I'd make a display case or rack or something and display them in my man-cave or room or something. Then, years later, I donated all of them to the club I was in because I didn't care any more. They no longer meant a lot to me. I just brought in a big double armload of belts I'd earned in various martial arts. It was awesome because now they weren't taking up storage space any more.

I get being proud of your accomplishments. I also get if it's not that important.

I've decided to make a leather bomber's jacket with patches for all the martial ranks and certifications I've gotten over the years. Everything from back in Tang Soo Do through Judo, Bowie, and even my firearms certifications. Why? Because I like bomber style jackets with patches. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
caped crusader

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Meh. I kinda don't care.

At one point, I had kept all the belts I'd ever earned. When I was young I thought I'd make a display case or rack or something and display them in my man-cave or room or something. Then, years later, I donated all of them to the club I was in because I didn't care any more. They no longer meant a lot to me. I just brought in a big double armload of belts I'd earned in various martial arts. It was awesome because now they weren't taking up storage space any more.

I get being proud of your accomplishments. I also get if it's not that important.

I've decided to make a leather bomber's jacket with patches for all the martial ranks and certifications I've gotten over the years. Everything from back in Tang Soo Do through Judo, Bowie, and even my firearms certifications. Why? Because I like bomber style jackets with patches. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
91p1KLni2dL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
tenor-10.gif

OP
caped crusader

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
man what was her name again in Top Gun...Kelly something...hot ! :)