Thinking about a full back piece.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a full back piece tattoo.
Something abstract and colorful.

I was thinking, something similar to this, only minus the recognizable heart and peace sign. (Yes, I do know this is only paint.)

I wouldnt get it on my arms at all.

I have three tattoos already, two rather large ones, one per calf, and one around my right ankle.

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
Come to think of it, her hair is fair beautiful as well. Between her and Carol, I might just decide redhead's have more fun.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A full back piece??? Man that's going to require a lot of decision making on your part, not too mention time and money...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess I like tattoos to have some sort of meaning to them. I think alot of guys get arm tribals and the the lower back work on many women, or something similar because they look cool, but are at heart, essentially ornaments. I much prefer someone created a tat because it meant something to them, my wife has very little interest in tattoos but is planning on getting a version of the ironman icon tattood once she completes her first ironman triathlon. She doesn't mind me getting my dragon tat to signify getting my black belt (only took me 7 years to figure out the design. :D)

I have seen some amazing back pieces on women, but I have to say that the example that was presented isn't really to my taste.

Lamont

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Only you can make the choice. You have to live with it. Take the time to find the right artist, and watch him/her work on others as well as watching for key health related things. (I know you have ink already - so I know Im preaching to the quire)

I got my full back piece done in 1998 it took off/on 3 months, all freehand work (so it is original). It still looks great and held the colors well.

I have no regrets...

Do what ya gotta do!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make damn sure that anything you get is going to be something you want when you're eighty. My brother-in-law got a portrait of his children done on his back. Looks great, and it's something he'll only appreciate more when the kids have grown up.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something tells me you're about to find out how many MT'ers have one of those. ;)
I didn't coin the term. I do however think it's appropriate, as it's a popular choice with the college girls who want to show how non-conformist they are... :rolleyes:

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
Make damn sure that anything you get is going to be something you want when you're eighty.

You're not the first to say something to that effect. My view on it is, even if I change significantly between now and then, it will sort of show who I once was. Even if these tattoos don't mean to me in the future what they do now, they will serve as reminders to things which were important to me in the past. I'm not embarrassed of who I am now, and if I am in the future, they will serve as reminders of what not to do. But I think it will be more of a, "this is who I used to be".

Sigh. I re-read that several times and I don't think I am expressing myself well, but it's the best I can do. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're not the first to say something to that effect. My view on it is, even if I change significantly between now and then, it will sort of show who I once was. Even if these tattoos don't mean to me in the future what they do now, they will serve as reminders to things which were important to me in the past. I'm not embarrassed of who I am now, and if I am in the future, they will serve as reminders of what not to do. But I think it will be more of a, "this is who I used to be".

Sigh. I re-read that several times and I don't think I am expressing myself well, but it's the best I can do. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I understand what you're saying. I was thinking more of how perception of the image itself might change, rather than how you might change.

This suggestion originates from my own experience with ink: I am a big Calvin & Hobbes fan, and it seemed (at the time) like an obvious choice to get Calvin indelibly stamped on my arm. Within months of getting this done, two things happened: 1) Bill Watterson announced his retirement; and 2) People started pasting unlicensed decals of Calvin on their vehicles, depicting him urinating on Ford logos; Chevy logos; competing football teams; Osama bin Laden; "My Baby Momma".

Without the continued publication of C&H comics, people began to forget the origin of the kid, and he became the universal redneck mascot. I get these cretins coming up to me and saying, "Hey, that's that Ford kid! I love that guy."

One day I may get a Hobbes just to put him in the proper context, but there's always a fear that the KKK will somehow manage to adopt him for their cause. And then where would I be? :erg:

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
wow cory.

That royally sucks.

But I just dont see how that can happen with an abstract piece.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come to think of it, her hair is fair beautiful as well. Between her and Carol, I might just decide redhead's have more fun.

Haircolor I can talk about (I do like how hers is done). Tattoos...I'm not so good at talking about. :D
I don't have any ink, but my personal take on tribal tattoos is like regular tattoos...it depends so much on the individual person. Boston being a big Irish town, there are a lot of folks here that have Celtic-inspired tribal designs. On one person a Celtic braid looks good. On another, the design looks...forced, for lack of a better word. It just doesn't seem to fit the person.

But...if the individual with the ink is happy with it, who am I to say otherwise? :idunno:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I just dont see how that can happen with an abstract piece.
Nah, those people just won't get at all... :lol:
Seriously, especially for such a large piece, I would suggest a lot of contemplation. Although, my sleeve was originally supposed to be a sword & sorcery type design, and I was just so blown away by my artist's Oriental themes that I took a risk and let him freehand it. I couldn't be happier with it, almost 7 years later.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a thought...I've kicked the idea of getting a tat myself. Bro in law does them at a discount and I can get them done for free. (he's very talented) But I hesitate to get it done because I also see alot of older people walking around with tats. If you can get to a beach or a pool, find some old people with tats and deside if you still want one. Some of the tats look ok but some of them I'm sure are regretted, or should be. Maybe even talk to them about it. Most people like to talk about their tats.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a thought...I've kicked the idea of getting a tat myself. Bro in law does them at a discount and I can get them done for free. (he's very talented) But I hesitate to get it done because I also see alot of older people walking around with tats. If you can get to a beach or a pool, find some old people with tats and deside if you still want one. Some of the tats look ok but some of them I'm sure are regretted, or should be. Maybe even talk to them about it. Most people like to talk about their tats.
Keep in mind that the majority of elderly people with ink likely got it done overseas while in the service, using borderline equipment, 30 or more years ago. With modern equipment and a knowledgeable artist, you're not going to see the amount of color bleed and blurring that you do on older work.

OP
E

Ella

Reaction score
yeah... well that was something else i was thinking, too. If I decide I want to have kids one day, of course the tattoo is going to change... but if its abstract, it wont really matter. Same thing with color bleed... if its very detailed work like on my dragon, bad blurring would make a huge difference. But I'm thinking it'd be hard to tell with something like that.

Latest Discussions