Axe Kick Vrs Cresent Kick

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:idunno: Just personal Pick what kick do you like better?

The Axe Or Cresent

I am asking cause there so close

I use the Axe Alot never realy use the cresent just seems like it can't be good for the knees

S

sifu Adams

I will start this off. I like the cresent kick. I use it to spread the gard down and move in. We have the ax kick in our system but I am a upper body fighter and once I move in I resort to southern mantis. Seem that a ax kick would have to be set up just right to be able to use is. how do you use it?

V

Vadim

I like using the crescent kick. All though if my opponent is leaning forward or bent over I'll use the axe kick on 'em.

-Vadim

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
:idunno: Just personal Pick what kick do you like better?

The Axe Or Cresent

I am asking cause there so close

I use the Axe Alot never realy use the cresent just seems like it can't be good for the knees
I choose the cresent kick. The axe kick Seems less usefull to me.
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each kick has its effect, advantages and disadvantages while fighting. Its like saying this orange is better than this apple. When? Crescent is great for in close fighting - can really deck the head. But to be in close to a "close-in fighter" would not be advantageous to you if they are faster than your crescent. But if you are good at TKD, set them up properly, to go in and have flexibility and can crescent fast... We don't do the axe kick on someone down, the match is stopped. But I like a spin jump axe too after an initial attack or fake - its kind of hard to stop and timed right is quite devastating to the head. But if not timed right, you can walk squarely into a defense kick. So, :idunno: I like sidekick the best. TW

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally fight with quick, circular motions, so I avoid axe kick like the plague. Though its still a bit slow for my tastes, I use crescent more often, usually as a feint into a reverse round kick or as a prelude to some fast footwork, though I've been known to be more creative with it at times.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Get that cresent kick high enough they will never see it coming. The ax kick will only work on those who are not well trained.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the crescent kick myself. It makes for a great strike to the kidneys and head when presented.

Y

Yossarian75

Crescent kick. Use it when your in close and your opponent wont see it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Crescent works best for me at this point in my life, axe is a more powerful kick for some. I guess crescent GOD BLESS AMERICA

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I like using the crescent kicks up close to blindside my opponent. I don't see the axe kick as being quite as useful, except on an already downed opponent. But using either one effectively is really all about the timing. Throwing either kick as an opening technique is risky business.

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I may be incorrect but, doesn't the crescent and axe kick have two totally different purposes? I have been taught that if you want speed (fast kick to the side of the head) then you do a crescent. If you want power, then you use an axe kick to break the collar bone and drop the opponent. I am 5'7" and 260lbs, so when I do an axe kick I have to do a Jumping Axe to reach anybody, but it does some damage...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, the practical applications of the Axe kick seem limited to me. If you have to jump up in the air to try and break the clavicle, you run far too many risks. As a general rule, jumping kicks are great for learning and practising agility, speed, power and balance, but are not really so useful in the ring or on the street.

It all depends on what you want to do with the kick. An axe kick, to me is, a kick that brings a lot of force directly downwards with the heel. Useful if you can land it on top of something, like the shoulder or the head, or the guard.

A crescent kick, to me, is a kick with a horizontal force with the side of the foot. It comes up somewhat like a front kick, and then whips sideways to take out the guard, to feint, or to strike to the head. Since it can be lifted out to the side of the opponent, and since the leg does not need to be straight until the lost moment, it can be used a lot closer to the opponent. It is also a quicker, more whipping movement.

So my vote has to go to the crescent kick, for versatility and application.

Latest Discussions