• No, I do not have it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh I know what I can add :)

Resistive breathing techniques!

During the onset of an asthma attack (be it exercise or particle) you can purse your lips and provide pressure for your exhale.

I'm not sure what it does but the effect is pretty immediate. Somewhere after 2 minutes to 5 minutes breathing should become easier.

Also breath in through the nose exhale out the mouth and keep it slow and steady.

I also learned to do the same thing. What it does, I think, helps calm things down and makes the handling of this better--to the point that perhaps dependence upon an inhaler could be minimized.

Many people I know, when an attack comes on, would progress into panic and that just makes things worse.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, all! Panic isn't really the problem... this is a relatively new concern for me (over the last 2 years), and, except for exercise-induced problems, I don't necessarily recognize the symptoms, to know when to take measures; as I said, I thought the coughing I was doing was bronchitis - it never occurred to me that it was asthma until the nurse practitioner did the lung function test.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a slight case of EIA-exercise induced asthma. I use an albuterol inhaler to control it, but I don't have very many problems with it. I have found that if I am smart about what conditions I train in I can control it better. I think my bronchial lining is getting more used to varying training conditions and it is slowly going away.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, all! Panic isn't really the problem... this is a relatively new concern for me (over the last 2 years), and, except for exercise-induced problems, I don't necessarily recognize the symptoms, to know when to take measures; as I said, I thought the coughing I was doing was bronchitis - it never occurred to me that it was asthma until the nurse practitioner did the lung function test.

Fair enough I shall give you some warning signs at least for me.

1) You (breath) talk (breath) like (breath) this. Even if you are 'winded' you can typically say a sentence example, "Hey sup." heavy breathing. "Man that was (breath) a workout."

2) Tingling ... tingling in your extremities and in your cheeks.

3) Dizzyness

4) Cramping in the extremeties

5) Throwing up (which is the last bit of symptom an attempt to correct the problem)

At least that it is for me.

--Will

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many of us suffer from asthma and does asthma ever interfere with your training? If you do have asthma, what do you do to control it?

Yes I have it, no it doesn't interfere with my training.

I presently control it using an Advair discus. I keep an albuterol inhaler with me, but rarely use it.

I once read that a disproportionate number of Olympic athletes are asthmatic.

I've also heard that alot of the triggers can be psychological, not just things like allergens.

I can endure a four-hour hapkido test without ever reaching for an inhaler, but five minutes of basketball and I'm wheezing :)

Latest Discussions