Assistance Requested on Aikido, Shorin Ryu

AznHick93

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys! Hoping someone can help me out. In my childhood and teen years, I studied Kempo Karate and My Jhong Law Horn Kung Fu, but due to school, marksmanship, and my eventual enlistment, was not able to continue until now. The two MA that intrigue me right now are Shorin Ryu Karate and Aikido. I will be at my duty station for two to three years, so hopefully it will give me enough time to absorb the info. The Aikido class is small, taught by a Sempai Tillman, who ensures the students (maybe five in total?) are taken care of and are able to learn the technique at their own pace. The class normally starts with meditation, rolls, falls then moves onto a few techniques which are practiced about three times per student. However the dojo is part of a multi MA school that requires a 250 entry and 250 exit fee as well as 125 a month. The Shorin Ryu dojo on base is ran by a few great sensei/sempai who ensures that we are taken care of and includes sparring, kata, and bokudo. I loved karate, but the flowing, soft art of Aikido has intrigued me through the few sessions I attended.

Can anyone give me any insight?
Thanks in advance!
Lev

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Firstly welcome to MT.

I think you have a great combination of martial arts. Shorin Ryu is a similar style to my karate, Goju Ryu. I started Aikido as well over eight years ago and have never regretted that decision. The Aikido will help you understand a lot of the techniques in your karate and the softness will take your karate to the next level.

Good luck.

OP
A

AznHick93

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you! I definitely believe it is a good combo as well. However, I'm really forced to do only one of the two due to costs and bills at the moment. I honestly was first going to attend the same gym/dojo that the aikido/iaido is taught due to Isshin-ryu but the sensei had to leave due to a new job placement.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you! I definitely believe it is a good combo as well. However, I'm really forced to do only one of the two due to costs and bills at the moment. I honestly was first going to attend the same gym/dojo that the aikido/iaido is taught due to Isshin-ryu but the sensei had to leave due to a new job placement.

Do Shorin Ryu first and then add the Aikido when you can afford it.

Latest Discussions