Asian strategy games

M

MountainSage

Look for a website to acquire some strategy games like Japanese GO etc. I'm not much of a computer person so please keep it simple.

Mountainsage

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some others besides go? I think the only other Oriental game that comes to my mind is Chinese checkers!

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've got a ton of links at home about go. Right now I'm at work, and one that comes to mind is sensei's. There's another good one here that uses java to help teach you. If you want, I'll post more links later.

Arnisador, there's also shogi, which is more like the Japanese equivalent to chess. My wife plays, but I tend to stick with go.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I played Shogi when I was a kid living in Japan. I don't remember how to read the tiles or play anymore, though.

Supposedly, Go is the more difficult game. I remember seeing Go matches on TV. Real quiet. Real long. Real boring if you didn't know how to play. And I didn't :)

Cthulhu

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You've got that right. Go looks like abstract art if you don't understand the rules. However, with a little study, you can begin to see the shapes forming and the overall strategy. Then it gets even more confusing. When I was playing regularly, I got all the way down to about 17th kyu. Now I'm probably back up over 20th. Time to drag out the old goban I guess...

OP
M

moving target

Well there's also "Chinese Chess" that game where you have cannons and elephants and the center of the board is divided by a river.

Hate that game though ;)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cthulhu said:
I played Shogi when I was a kid living in Japan. I don't remember how to read the tiles or play anymore, though.

Supposedly, Go is the more difficult game. I remember seeing Go matches on TV. Real quiet. Real long. Real boring if you didn't know how to play. And I didn't :)

Cthulhu
I learned Shogi at a summer school from a fellow japanese classmate. Playing european chess is just not the same anymore. the sad part is that noone I know here plays it! Playing online is ok I guess, but nothing like playing IRL. so much more fun...

funny story... I could never find a board. My Japanese friend drew me up one that I played with. I searched all over, and could not find one until I went to Epcot and visited the Japan center. Good stuff!

Well there's also "Chinese Chess" that game where you have cannons and elephants and the center of the board is divided by a river.

Hate that game though ;)

Played that too, just never enjoyed it as much as Shogi.

Latest Discussions