Art for beginners with bad knees

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the instructor. Kids class is more structured. Yawning, I don't think ever gets punished or yelled at. No talking though. In adults class we have more leeway. But too much talking and not much training going on. We get more strict as newbies are added so they see protocal but it eases up and becomes no real big thing. My adult class swings both ways and I have learned to just go with the flow rather than fight it mentally. Again it depends on the instructor and his moods, unfortunately. TW

OP
S

SammyB57

I had my first TKD class tonight.... see the Tae Kwon Do forum for more.

OP
S

safeeagle

My knees were due to 20 yrs. of running and TKD jumping too. Hope you find an art you can enjoy! TW[/QUOTE]

This is why whenever I get the urge to run I usually lay down until I feel better.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
What are good arts for people with bad knees/ankles? I've just had a lot of wear and tear from high school football and want something that will make me strong and supple.... not weak and arthritic.
There are Lots of styles of Gung-Fu that'd be good for you.
I, of course, recomend "American Kenpo Karate" the MOST....
but I'm pretty biased.
Ask anyone.

I'd recomend you steer clear of Tae Kwan Do. Good martial art, don't get me wrong....
but if you are starting out with bad knees, hips or ankles.....
not good. It's a very physically demanding art, especially on the lower extremeties.

Your Brother
John

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brother John said:
t's a very physically demanding art, especially on the lower extremeties.

And lately, the upper body...can't raise my left arm now... too much punching, hooks, pushups for too many days in a row. Too much of anything, will not do a body good. Kenpo sounds good. Anybody want to teach Kenpo in Minnesota. It's real warm here now. :D TW

Latest Discussions