Arnold Battle of Columbus Stick Fighting

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pesilat said:
When a takedown or disarm occurs, the fight is stopped. Follow up strikes are assumed. We chose to do this primarily because of the venue. The Arnold is a very family oriented and some of the spectators would be put off by seeing an unarmed fighter or a fighter on the ground getting thrashed on.

Mike

Thanks, you've been most helpful. I understand the restrictions (family oriented, etc.) you had to work with. I am working with a local martial arts store in hosting an open weapons event and we are dealing with "softening" our rules for the same reason. We most likely will also have kids competing with padded sticks.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Thanks, you've been most helpful. I understand the restrictions (family oriented, etc.) you had to work with. I am working with a local martial arts store in hosting an open weapons event and we are dealing with "softening" our rules for the same reason. We most likely will also have kids competing with padded sticks.

We actually have kids compete with the same gear, rattan sticks, and rules that we use for the adults and have had no problem with it - from the competitors or from the spectators.

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Nice write-up, nice website too.

Andy

Thank you :) Since I both wrote the write-up and put the site together, I'm doubly flattered. Actually, we're trying to overhaul the site. It's not bad but it can use some work.

Mike

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Being a competitor in this event for the past 3 years, i have to say that the event gets better every year. Even though i waited 9 hours for my only fight (that i lost, oh well) I still enjoy the cometition. i think the rules are well worked out. Compared to WEKAF rules, where there is NO kicking or takedowns, i feel this event give a competitior a better & closer taste of reality (I know that no competition with gear & rules can be completely realistic) but in all the different types i've competed in, this is the best one for the sake of safety & realistic competition. Like the center judge said at the beginning "this is not what would really happen on the streets" All the competitors know this, but i feel that it gives us all a rare chance to compete & atempt some of our techniques that aren't allowed in class. I had a great time. Next year i'll be in better shape for the competition. I'll try to bring someone with me next time.

Thanks to everyone who was there!

Enoch T. Carlton
Modern Arnis of Warren.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seigi said:
Even though i waited 9 hours for my only fight (that i lost, oh well) I still enjoy the cometition.

OK. Now wait a second. That 9 hour statement might discourage people so let me address it. We got started between 11 AM & noon - the start time is dependent on many factors beyond our control. Our preliminary fights were done prior to the big demo in the middle of the day where Arnold puts in his appearance - we hate the fact that the demo forces everything to break up but it's completely beyond our control. We broke for it at about 2:30. We did our final fights after the demo. Since you got a bye in the first round, you wound up fighting in the final for your division. We started back up at 5:30 and had the whole shebang wrapped between 6:30 & 7 PM and your fight wasn't the last one. That means that, from the time the fighting started, you couldn't have waited any longer than 7 hours. Granted, that's still a long time to wait. And I assume the other 2 hours you waited were during the registration time before the fighting started? Unfortunately, there's just no way around the delays.

But if there'd been more competitors, you probably would have fought sooner. And while we (the officials at the event) hate the delays in getting started and the delay of the big demo in the middle of the day - there's nothing to be done about them.

But *all* martial arts tournies I've ever been to - whether they were stickfighting, Karate, or TKD - had delays. All of them got started late. All of them had long delays between fights. I don't think the Arnold is any worse than any of them.

I just realized how defensive this post sounds. I don't intend to be defensive. I just don't want people to get discouraged from attending what I think is - as you put it - "the best one for the sake of safety & realistic competition."

And we'd really like to see more competitors in the forms and self-defense sections. We know a lot of people don't like these - but, really, the fighting only showcases a specific fighter's skill/ability. The forms and self-defense competitions are where the art of the FMA can really be showcased.

Of course, we'd like to see more fighters, too :)

We truly believe that we've put together a really good stick tournament and, in fact, we feel that, given the potential for dynamic impact that the FMA material has in general, we feel that it should be able to be the highlight of the Arnold Martial Arts expo - instead of getting shuffled off into a back corner behind the spectator seats (that's where our ring was located this year). But if we don't get the attendance, it's not going to happen.

Mike

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mike,

I apologize if i sounded offensive, i should have been clearer about my post. I was trying to get to the fact the tournament is an Excellent chance for people to compete & try out their skills. I Definetly don't want to turn people off to it. I would love for there to be more competitors next year, so i can fight more than once (unless i lose again =)

Mike is correct, it was due to my Bye in the first round & lack of competitors in my division.

Sorry about that sir.

Enoch :asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seigi said:
Mike,

I apologize if i sounded offensive, i should have been clearer about my post. I was trying to get to the fact the tournament is an Excellent chance for people to compete & try out their skills. I Definetly don't want to turn people off to it. I would love for there to be more competitors next year, so i can fight more than once (unless i lose again =)

Mike is correct, it was due to my Bye in the first round & lack of competitors in my division.

Sorry about that sir.

Enoch :asian:

Not a problem. I didn't intend to make you feel bad or sound defensive with my post - I just wanted to clarify in case someone misinterpreted your post.

Mike

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank-you!!!

Peace :partyon:

Latest Discussions