Are large right hooks allowed in Kyokushin sparring?

Headbald

Orange Belt
In boxing it is of course, called right hook while in Choy Lee Fut it is called the sow chui. Is it allowed during sparring for the Kyokushin style of Karate? I'm not sure but I did see an equivalent to the right hook in the Kyokushin style itself called Seiken-mawashi-uchi.
 
In boxing it is of course, called right hook while in Choy Lee Fut it is called the sow chui. Is it allowed during sparring for the Kyokushin style of Karate? I'm not sure but I did see an equivalent to the right hook in the Kyokushin style itself called Seiken-mawashi-uchi.
I just texted a Kyokushin buddy of mine. I’ll let you know what he says.
 
This is what my Kyokushin buddy said.

ā€œIn sparring, only controlled sparring, hooks to the face are illegal.ā€

I don’t know if it’s different in different Kyokushin schools.
 
He also said that nobody cared and threw them anyway.
 
This is what my Kyokushin buddy said.

ā€œIn sparring, only controlled sparring, hooks to the face are illegal.ā€

I don’t know if it’s different in different Kyokushin schools.
You get one technically. Because you get a warning.
 
You get one technically. Because you get a warning.
The very first sparring I ever witnessed, 1971
I think it was, was a team of Kyokushin fighters from Japan against a team of Greek Gojo Ryu fighters from East Boston. The fights took place in the now defunct Boston Arena and were held in a boxing ring.

I don’t remember who won, it was very evenly matched. But it was a blood bath, a boatload of head contact and was fun to watch.

It seemed to me, at the time, that as long as there were no kiais yelled during a punch/kick, and no histrionics displayed by the fighters, the referee and judges didn’t care what the fighters did or how hard they hit each other.

But if they did kiai or act up, they got one warning, and the next time they had points taken from their score.
 
The very first sparring I ever witnessed, 1971
I think it was, was a team of Kyokushin fighters from Japan against a team of Greek Gojo Ryu fighters from East Boston

I don’t remember who won, it was very evenly matched. But it was a blood bath, a boatload of head contact and was fun to watch.
To the best of knowledge, kyokushin was unknown in the US in 1971 (at least on the West Coast) but back then, American karate sparring could be pretty brutal. There was plenty of action in those days and it was fun to watch. Fun to spar, too, but you had to be ready to turn your "yang" up to full. Some of those guys were not too kind. Gloves and headgear? Forget about it! We didn't need no stinkin' pads.
 
In boxing it is of course, called right hook while in Choy Lee Fut it is called the sow chui. Is it allowed during sparring for the Kyokushin style of Karate? I'm not sure but I did see an equivalent to the right hook in the Kyokushin style itself called Seiken-mawashi-uchi.
As others has noted, all punchs to the head is not allowed in kyokushin (regardless if it is a straight or hook or uppercut).

Other than than that, any hook or swing (no matter what you call it) is allowed to the body - spine and throat excluded. But kidneys are a legal target as long as you dont hit the spine.

I use alot of power hooks to the body in sparring, both lead and rear hooks. The only "risk" with it from the attackes perspective, is if the opponent blocks a high power bare knuckle hook with the elbow, then your hand or wrist gets a good blow.
 
Back
Top