Applied Center Line Theory

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
This video goes into more explanation into the center line and how I apply it.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
other point is that i've not got the patience to learn stuff like what you're doing which is why i get fascinated by it and the ways of doing things.

I train muay thai lot less intricate but i think that some of what you're saying could actually be applied to it cos in your vid it's about being "dominant" or "bossy" making the other person do what you want them to do and reacting to unexpected things --- pretty much what MT is about :)

watched it again and i can see it more clearly --- wouldn't mind having a few sessions just to see what WC is really about :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
other point is that i've not got the patience to learn stuff like what you're doing which is why i get fascinated by it and the ways of doing things.

I train muay thai lot less intricate but i think that some of what you're saying could actually be applied to it cos in your vid it's about being "dominant" or "bossy" making the other person do what you want them to do and reacting to unexpected things --- pretty much what MT is about :)

watched it again and i can see it more clearly --- wouldn't mind having a few sessions just to see what WC is really about :)

Donna, there are a lot of different approaches to Wing Chun. Based on your background in Muay Thai, I'd recommend checking out Alan Orr. I don't know where you are located, but I believe his gym is in London. Anyway, his guys are some of the very few WC stylists who compete effectively. He's got a lot of stuff on youtube. Take a look.

--OK, I checked and found that you are in N.Wales. Looks like that's a bit more than 200 miles from London. Here in the western part of the US, that's not considered far for a long day trip. But things are kinda far apart out here.

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

The more you watch the video the more you will see.its like reading a book. Glad you liked it..

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thankyou for the tip :)

will go and check him out - some of the main guys have dojo's / gyms in a few cities so am hoping that he'll have a set up near manchester :)

thankyou :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i will do cos the more i watch the video the more it makes sense :) (i'm a slow learner)

cos by occupying the central space - you have more control over what can and can't happen --- so to apply it to a scrap, if you're in command of that central space then there can only really be one outcome unless you let your opponent get into that dominant position whereby he/she has the opportunity to make you do things that you really don't want to do.

so the battle becomes one of who can occupy the central space has the outcome virtually sewn up --- like that a lot. there's other things like kicks and knees that can brought into the equation but by placing your arms and hands in the manner described then those "tools" would be rendered almost useless cos your head and upper body are protected at all times -- really like that :)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
i will do cos the more i watch the video the more it makes sense :) (i'm a slow learner)

cos by occupying the central space - you have more control over what can and can't happen --- so to apply it to a scrap, if you're in command of that central space then there can only really be one outcome unless you let your opponent get into that dominant position whereby he/she has the opportunity to make you do things that you really don't want to do.

so the battle becomes one of who can occupy the central space has the outcome virtually sewn up --- like that a lot. there's other things like kicks and knees that can brought into the equation but by placing your arms and hands in the manner described then those "tools" would be rendered almost useless cos your head and upper body are protected at all times -- really like that :)

I would say you summed it up quite nicely.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
thankyou for the kind comment :)

No problem. You've taken the first step...you've got your mind around it, now comes the hard part, getting your body to cooperate.

A saying we have in Wing Tsun is "Wing Tsun is simple but it's not easy"

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we have a saying in muay thai --- "if you can't take a punch, then you shouldn't be giving one ;)"

just gotta find a dojo that does WC to really see it for real :) thankyou for the inspiration :)

Latest Discussions