Apollo discusses how people fight

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The following comes from William Bankier's book, Ju Jitsu What It really Is
from 1904. William Bankier(Apollo)was a strongman and publisher of Health and Strength magazine. he also became Yukio Tani's promoter after taking Tani away from Barton-Wright.

A note, this was written at the last tun of the century, the term politically correct had not been coined by Karl Marx at that time, so if any description offends someone, take it with a grain of salt.

I will briefly note the striking peculiarities of self defence adopted by different countries
Britishers-Fight with their fists
The french use a stick
German Student-A slap with the hand or a beer decanter.
Norwegians The open hand
Spaniard-Cuchillio(knife)
Chinaman-Revolver
American-Fists, or a shooter
Negro-A razor
Hooligans-Stab in the dark,flogging at Dartmoor or Portland, a good remedy for the disease
Italian-A knife
Japan Students-Ju-Jitsu hands and feet. Average jap, wooden shoe or slipper
Russian_Draw close, run at you and wrestle. The better class use a stick like the French
Boer-Kick
Australian-Fists, and gentle reminders in the shape of neatly constructed weapons of war
Irishman-Persuasive eloquence, with a stout blackthorn, a drop of the craytor to follow, friendship and peace to follow.

Some rather interesting observations from 102 years ago.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I especially liked the Australians. I'm not even sure what it means, but I'm declaring it as my new goal in life.
To be a gentle reminder in the shape of a neatly contructed weapon of war. ;)

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I've got to wonder what those "observations" were based on. They just look like stereotypes. (Though some of them are kinda funny.)
I agree, they probably are stereotypes, I just thought it was interesting to have an early"list of styles". I am guessing that his reference to French fighting with sticks, would be from observing Pierre Vigny, from the time Vigny was at the Bartitsu club.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
frank raud said:
Irishman-Persuasive eloquence, with a stout blackthorn, a drop of the craytor to follow, friendship and peace to follow.

:rofl:

Haven't read the book, but Apollo being an Irishman himself, I suspect this was his idea of a joke. :D

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting...even though they are blatent steroetypes...he has me pretty much pegged right down to my ancestry.

I am an American who fights mainly with his fists of Irish and Russian ancestry...if I ain't punching you thenlikely I am trying to wrestle you or better yet, hit you with my shillelagh:)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's funny, my grandfather was scottish and my grandmother was irish. So according to this guy I am a short tempered fightin peeler.:shrug:

Latest Discussions