Anyone play A.F.L (Aussie Rules)

N

Nyoongar

Anyone on this board play Aussie Rules or interested in it?

Dean

OP
N

Nyoongar

I just thought I'd let everyone know that it is the greatest ball sport on the face of the Earth.

The mixture of skill, strength, endurance, speed, anticipation and not to mention how tough it is compared to those padded up teddy bears playing american football (joking).

Go Freo Dockers!!!!!

Anybody want to know more?

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back 20 years ago, we had a foreign exchange student from Australia. He showed me what a mark was! Damn did that hurt. ESPN use to show Aussie football all the time, now it's hardly on there.
Bob:)

OP
N

Nyoongar

I have studied a tiny bit of Kempo Jiujitsu here in Australia (you will see the spelling difference from your screen name). I assume that these are similar.

What I have been studying contains a lot of throws, locks, submissions, striking, chokes and what not. Seems quite well rounded.

It is not easy training. Learn to break fall, break fall and break fall and you won't cop soo much punishment. But thats why I love it!

Later,

Dean

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dean, Yes the style of Kempojujutsu we do, has throws, chokes, locks, groundfighting, weapons are primary focus is on self defense and conditioning. Are you currently studying kempo jiujitsu?
Bob :asian:

OP
N

Nyoongar

Yeh I am

I dislocated my little toe 2 days ago so I've been surfing the net instead.

I am only white belt in KJJ, but I've been boxing for a few years. I just find it fascination how you can throw someone and snap their arm at the same time while dropping them on their head! (all the while responding with an appropriate amount of force mind you).

I've also attended a few seminars by John Will, but basically I'm a sportsperson at heart who stuffed my knee and shoulder up big time and had to take up something easier on the body than Aussie Rules.

Got to go, but look forward to chatting later.

Dean

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if I spelled it right. Had the pleasure of trying this stuff, back 20 years ago. Does it still taste the same or have they improved it. I can tell you, out of all of us americans, I was probably the only one who like it.
Bob :D

OP
N

Nyoongar

Vegemite!

Yes is does taste the same.

A mixture of grease scraped off a BBQ that hasn't been cleaned for 6 months saturated with salt and a touch of yeast. Yummmmmmmmmm!

I've heard mixing Vegemite with pineapple juice can make some sort of "bush" alocohol. I don't know how true it is. I only eat the stuff if I'm desperate.

I equate it wth Marmite (well, they both look the same).

We're happy little Vegemite's a bright as bright can be,
We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast lunch and tea,.......

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, I like Aussie rules football. I'm also fortunate to actually get it on TV here in the DC area on a public station. Normally you've got to get pay satellite or something to get the channels that carry Aussie rules. I don't know if I have a particular favorite team or anything though; my interest is kind of general. It looks like a really awesome sport so I enjoy watching it just for that.

OP
N

Nyoongar

If I get a chance, I'm going to post some pictures of "screamers" (named as such due to the crowd screaming when this happens) and some good old-fashioned shirtfronts (bumps, hits, clashes).

I've never liked baseball, but since I've got ESPN, I checked out the 6th game of the World Series. Very exciting! I think it’s similar to Cricket.

OP
D

DJDragon

I use to play when I was in primary school. But its never been a sport since then.

I'd love to try it again though. Very cool sport.

Brisbane Lions own all!

Latest Discussions