Hello from hong kong

xdragonqueenx

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey! I'm new here. I'm an Aussie living in HK and was wondering if anyone wanted to practice wing chun with me between classes?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey! I'm new here. I'm an Aussie living in HK and was wondering if anyone wanted to practice wing chun with me between classes?

How ya going mate.
Don't think there's many people from Honkers on these forums actually , it's mostly Americans.
What lineage you in ?
Must be somebody over there you can find to train with , your pretty much at the Mecca of Wing Chun , maybe go to the parks and you might see some people practicing.
I feel your pain though , try living in Japan where they think Wing Chun is some food that Chinese people eat.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

You could probably cruise on over to the pad of a gentleman named Yip Ching. He lives in the same place that his dad did...an upstanding gentleman named Yip Man. :) Actually I'm not sure he lives in Hong Kong presently; I know he used to.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You could probably cruise on over to the pad of a gentleman named Yip Ching. He lives in the same place that his dad did...an upstanding gentleman named Yip Man. :) Actually I'm not sure he lives in Hong Kong presently; I know he used to.

There are a lot of Ip Man based Wing Chun schools in Hong Kong and I believe both Ip Chun and Ip Ching are there.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of Ip Man based Wing Chun schools in Hong Kong and I believe both Ip Chun and Ip Ching are there.

I'm sure there are, but I mention Yip Ching because that is MY particular lineage. It isn't to say no one else is good, but I cannot recommend a wing chun lineage I don't practice. :)

I take that back: I COULD recommend anything...but when people ask "why do you recommend that particular lineage," I'd like to recommend the one I am experienced with so I can answer that question with a good solid reason.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sure there are, but I mention Yip Ching because that is MY particular lineage. It isn't to say no one else is good, but I cannot recommend a wing chun lineage I don't practice. :)

I take that back: I COULD recommend anything...but when people ask "why do you recommend that particular lineage," I'd like to recommend the one I am experienced with so I can answer that question with a good solid reason.

I was in Wing Chun only briefly and I had two different teachers. But the first one was a student of Ip Ching so if I had stayed there it would be my lineage as well :asian:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was in Wing Chun only briefly and I had two different teachers. But the first one was a student of Ip Ching so if I had stayed there it would be my lineage as well :asian:

I have seen discussions you had with others on various wing chun threads. I think you attended my school: Cichon's Wing Chun in Albany NY.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have seen discussions you had with others on various wing chun threads. I think you attended my school: Cichon's Wing Chun in Albany NY.

Yup, a couple of times over the years but never more than Sil Lum Tao

How is Russell Cichon doing? The last time I saw him he was injured and looking at surgery

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, a couple of times over the years but never more than Sil Lum Tao

How is Russell Cichon doing? The last time I saw him he was injured and looking at surgery

He's doing all right...still has some issues going on with his knee. I go once a week, every now and then. School is much different than it was when I started in 1995. Right now there are a lot of people learning chum kiu and chi sao. However, it isn't free-for-all chi sao. He runs us through a chain of techniques so that we can refine them more. He's pushing us to pursue a higher level of skill, which I like. While it is fun to charge full-blast into improvised chi sao, it'd put you in a position where you could get your butt handed to you by another wing chun practitioner.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
He's doing all right...still has some issues going on with his knee. I go once a week, every now and then. School is much different than it was when I started in 1995. Right now there are a lot of people learning chum kiu and chi sao. However, it isn't free-for-all chi sao. He runs us through a chain of techniques so that we can refine them more. He's pushing us to pursue a higher level of skill, which I like. While it is fun to charge full-blast into improvised chi sao, it'd put you in a position where you could get your butt handed to you by another wing chun practitioner.

I see he is doing Saratoga again, I'm not sure I would after last time if I were him.

But I am glad to hear he is doing better than he was the last time I saw him.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see he is doing Saratoga again, I'm not sure I would after last time if I were him.

But I am glad to hear he is doing better than he was the last time I saw him.

"Doing Saratoga?" I'm not sure what that is in reference to.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys save rude for another thread, give a greeting and move on.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I am sure that you should be able to at least find 1 person to train with in Hong Kong.

I feel your pain though , try living in Japan where they think Wing Chun is some food that Chinese people eat.

My Sifu felt the same way when he was stationed there for a few years.

Latest Discussions