Any thoughts on this?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/07/29/2011072901331.html?news_Head2

you are going to have ot go to google translate for this but from what I understand a tv
station set up an demo where a female Korean fighter was supposed to fight 3 Japanese men fighters.
Apparently the men did not care and went all out. But the Korean female fighter held her own.

Apparently she was injured when she fought and it further aggravated her injuries.
http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/07/30/2011073000462.html?news_Head1

I have heard of stories where a foreign fighter will be setup against a Japanese ringer, but
this is disgraceful on part of the Japanese fighters.
All the videos of this on YouTube have been deleted. But from what I got from the article was that a Korean woman K-1 fighter was suppose to fight 3 off the street Japanese men as a spoof. But the Japanese men tried there best to beat this woman down. It stated that the Korean woman was told not to hit the men in the head and that the men had helmets on also. The men also had some protective gear on but the woman did not.

If anyone can find a video of this please post it.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All the videos of this on YouTube have been deleted. But from what I got from the article was that a Korean woman K-1 fighter was suppose to fight 3 off the street Japanese men as a spoof. But the Japanese men tried there best to beat this woman down. It stated that the Korean woman was told not to hit the men in the head and that the men had helmets on also. The men also had some protective gear on but the woman did not.

If anyone can find a video of this please post it.

There is a video on the webpage you linked to if you scroll down.

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/htm...tml?news_Head2

The video doesn't look good. I don't know if they were trying to be funny or not, but it wasn't funny to me. The woman fought three rounds against the men. Each round she fought a different guy, so they were always fresh. She gets knocked off her feet by a kick at the beginning of the first round. I was pretty surprised, but TV programs can do some stupid things sometimes. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to do here, but I imagine they managed to piss off some Korean netizens.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah from what she stated she did not expect the first guy or any of them to come out and really try to fight. It was suppose to be a joke match so she got caught off guard. However they could not take her out and she lasted until the end so I think she did a pretty good job. Also she was injured before the match as well.

It was pretty jacked up though.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest, I think this was absolutely a daft idea from the start - but to say that she didn't expect them to come out and really try to fight is very naïve!

Hmmm, how would that go - "would you like to come on national TV and fight a girl, but don't really try to hurt her, just let her beat the crap out of you so all your mates can laugh at you for the rest of your life...". I can't imagine that happening.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest, I think this was absolutely a daft idea from the start - but to say that she didn't expect them to come out and really try to fight is very naïve!

Hmmm, how would that go - "would you like to come on national TV and fight a girl, but don't really try to hurt her, just let her beat the crap out of you so all your mates can laugh at you for the rest of your life...". I can't imagine that happening.
Well it did not go down like that.

1. She was contacted by the show to do a fight with 3 comedians. She said that she could not fight because she was injured. They told her that it was OK because it was just a spoof or joke bit for the show. So she obliged.
2. They told her not to really fight as the guys were simply comedians. They put head gear on the guys and gave them normal gloves while giving her oversized gloves (pillows in essence).
3. The guys in the ring were not comedians, they were ex K-1 fighters that outweighed her by quite a bit (plus they are men).

She went in with the understanding that this was not a real fight, with an injury to boot. She expected this to be a comedic bit for a comedy show. The setup was as such and she has pillows on her hands to boot. Then all of a sudden she get hit for real. She looks at the eyes of the guys and can tell that they mean business. What kind of crap is that.

She was interviewed afterwards and stated pretty much what I stated above. She said that she almost walked off or quit but that she did not want to let down womens kickboxing so she continued. The entire thing really stinks if you ask me. Don't set someone up like that. I have seen many shows where they have a real fighter come on to do a spoof event to raise money or whatever where there is no real fight. Ali use to do them back in the day. Jack *** the movie did a bit with a girl fighter that beat up one of their guys to. They did not have real fighters come in and really try to fight the person, let alone 3 of them. That was just not right.

The only joke was on her and it was a bad one. She further injured her leg and is not out 8-12 weeks from competing. She could have been seriously injured at worst. Not cool at all.

Better video of it here. Notice in the video that all the guys have on leg protection and headgear and she has nothing on. This is discrimination at it worst.

[yt]L19iexizrQM[/yt]

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems like the tv station tried to pull a fast one. But she held her own and fought with honor. She comes out of this looking like a real pro, everyone else looks like a snake. But I don't have any problem with boys hitting girls. She stepped into the ring, she knew she was fighting boys going in. The only thing she didn't know was it was going to be a real fight. And that sucks. But she could have walked off. By her own admission she stayed by choice. You choose to participate, you choose to accept the consequences.

Of course, this could all be a publicity stunt.

-Rob

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think it's disgusting and I think she was set up and should file suit.

But... she should have had it in her mind that regardless of who the guys were they're likely to be going full steam (whatever crap you're fed - they wouldn't have bothered with putting pads on them otherwise) so be prepared to do likewise.

Personally I think she should have just cracked each one in the nuts as hard as she could!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hm...

The only problem i see, is the deception.
The fight itself was quite well played. She learnt from the opening bell that this was no joke, and responded in kind.
She stood no chance of winning, but at least had the honor to stand and fight.
I mean, if she jumped out of the ring and ran to the producers to complain, i wouldnt be able to praise her for anything.
But willingly fighting a losing battle?
Respect well earned.
Regardless of why it was happening.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you mean she stood no chance of winning? It seems to me that she fought three consecutive rounds against fresh opponents who were wearing protective gear in an ambush scenario and kicked all their asses. This may be a televised fix in a combat sports match, but from where I'm standing, she won. I don't see anybody taking their side.

-Rob

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you mean she stood no chance of winning? It seems to me that she fought three consecutive rounds against fresh opponents who were wearing protective gear in an ambush scenario and kicked all their asses. This may be a televised fix in a combat sports match, but from where I'm standing, she won. I don't see anybody taking their side.

-Rob
She was knocked down repeatedly, and took the brunt of most of their attacks. And many of her Kicks were varied into pushes, likely due to her predisposed injury.
Like i say, she did very, very well.
I never said they won - It wasnt that kind of competition.
But if it was, youd need the full match in order to count the blows.
I dont quite see how she kicked their asses, considering that she was forced to back out of most trades of shots, and mainly kicked the *** of their theoretical endurance, since they hardly needed to demonstrate their own.

Im not criticising her, or what she did, but i dont see that as much reason to overlook that she was at times overwhelmed.
She got quite a few good blows in, but for every blow she delivered, she recieved another in kind not too far after, often more powerful than her own.

Like i say, i am not defending them.
I am merely viewing this as what it was; A Biased Kickboxing Match.
But though it may be biased, i can still criticise what she does wrong, without saying "But she wasnt wearing protective gear, and her gloves were bigger, so its ok." (I am not implying thats what anyone here said - But im sure at least someone at some point thought it)

Nobody should be taking her side in terms of winning or losing the match, or theirs.
It was a fix, and nothing can be proven in terms of who won or lost either way.
And for K1 Fighters, they werent being too aggressive, compared to a normal Bout.
And for a Kickboxer, her Guard was at times tragic (And im referring to towards the end, not the beginning).

In summary, i am attempting to view this in Retrospect, rather than sliding straight to her side, and declaring her Winner because she lasted out the Rounds.
Unless the aim of the round is to KO your opponent, lasting out the Rounds =/= Winning.

I suspect, however, that you may perhaps be misinterpriting the intentions of what i was originally saying. Hence the increased extradition here.

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just saw the video from this thread :-O, what the! grr

I think it's a great way of highlighting:

a) how stupid men with big egos can be
b) what happens when you take out the ethics in Martial Arts

But in summary am going to have to agree with Andy's original comment on this topic.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hm...

The only problem i see, is the deception.
The fight itself was quite well played. She learnt from the opening bell that this was no joke, and responded in kind.
She stood no chance of winning, but at least had the honor to stand and fight.
I mean, if she jumped out of the ring and ran to the producers to complain, i wouldnt be able to praise her for anything.
But willingly fighting a losing battle?
Respect well earned.
Regardless of why it was happening.
That is exactly why she stayed and fought. For the reason that you stated.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is disgraceful to say the least. However, Im more than held her own. She fought 3 consecutive rounds against 3 individual opponents who only fought one round, with really the first opponent giving her any type of competition. Had the other two not been wearing any pads they would have been in trouble.

When she was knocked down it was most due to balance loss not being buckled by a blow or she was thrown down when the guys couldn't handle it. In the end she prevailed and brought a lot of honor to herself and women kickboxing in general. Guess what Japan, your @$$ got owned and owned by a Korean woman. You know, we know it.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never said they won - It wasnt that kind of competition.
But if it was, youd need the full match in order to count the blows.
I dont quite see how she kicked their asses, considering that she was forced to back out of most trades of shots, and mainly kicked the *** of their theoretical endurance, since they hardly needed to demonstrate their own.

I was making a broader point. This wasn't a true match or a real fight. So we can't define winning and losing by the same parameters we would use in the ring or on the street. Instead, this appears to have been a fixed match, an ambush, and possibly a race and gender motivated assault. She stood her ground, took her lumps, gave some of her own, and walked away. She looked tough. To me, that's a win. They end up looking like fools, brigands, and sissies who needed more protective gear than she did. To me, that's a loss. She fought three fresh opponents and held her own. They couldn't even beat up a girl.

Like I said. Nobody's taking their side in this. We can't say who would have won in a true match or a real fight, because there wasn't one. And it's fair to criticize her technique. But the real "competition" here was between her and everything she represents, and the conspiracy to diminish all of that through base treachery. In that battle, I declare her the victor. You may disagree, but that's my position.

-Rob

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was making a broader point. This wasn't a true match or a real fight. So we can't define winning and losing by the same parameters we would use in the ring or on the street. Instead, this appears to have been a fixed match, an ambush, and possibly a race and gender motivated assault. She stood her ground, took her lumps, gave some of her own, and walked away. She looked tough. To me, that's a win. They end up looking like fools, brigands, and sissies who needed more protective gear than she did. To me, that's a loss. She fought three fresh opponents and held her own. They couldn't even beat up a girl.

Like I said. Nobody's taking their side in this. We can't say who would have won in a true match or a real fight, because there wasn't one. And it's fair to criticize her technique. But the real "competition" here was between her and everything she represents, and the conspiracy to diminish all of that through base treachery. In that battle, I declare her the victor. You may disagree, but that's my position.

-Rob
Oh, you mean Won in an Ethical, Perspective way. My Sparring Themed mind immediately assumed that you meant that she beat them in terms of Competition, rather than Mentality and Perseverance.

Minor misconception on my part - We are, in fact, in relative agreement. :)

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Much is lost in translation. I could see how this looked wrong to a westerner, but it wouldn't be off the charts for a Japanese or a Korean.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Much is lost in translation. I could see how this looked wrong to a westerner, but it wouldn't be off the charts for a Japanese or a Korean.
How so? While I understand Korean comedians and actors will do similar things with pro athletes (Example is 2 Days 1 Night crew would take on Sirim players or TKD players in friendly matches), they do not go full out and try to slam the person or knock the person out.

Latest Discussions