Any older beginners out there?

2literal

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any older beginners out there? How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
All I can think is, everybody else thinking, "hey look at that pathetic old person." Or, I'd have to do some dumbed down style or moves because I'm too old to do what everyone else does. Q

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are not there for them.

Discomfort is an integral part of growth. And martial arts should provide both.

You overcome that discomfort by engaging in the process and becoming stronger.

If you go to a good gym then everyone looks pathetic when they start. That is the point. Everyone there should be better than you.

Otherwise you don't have to do a dumbed down style. You just need to be clever about how you train.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I am not new. But we get a lot of people interested in masters boxing. Which starts at over 35, I think. So not only are these guys coming in to the gym as older people. They are competing as older people.

I know some of the bigger jujitsu hubs do the same.

There are plenty of avenues for older martial artists to do serious martial arts at a high level.

Eg. Here is Tom Hardy competing at blue belt level BJJ. At 44.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
Embrace it. People don't think about it the same way. Most young people are inspired when older people do things like MA.

For me. When I see someone older doing martial arts, I think, "I hope I can do that when I get his age"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any older beginners out there? How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
All I can think is, everybody else thinking, "hey look at that pathetic old person." Or, I'd have to do some dumbed down style or moves because I'm too old to do what everyone else does. Q
Your profile says you're thirty two. What do you mean "old"?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda figured you were at least 50. You are a young fellow. Find a school in which you feel comfortable and get started. You have the time left in your life in which to become very skilled, if you decide to go for it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are a beginner and get old, since you have not developed any MA skills yet, you don't have anything to maintain.

If you could do a floor split when you were yong, you will try to do that when you are old, you will have to take the pain through your old age. If you have not developed that flexibility, you don't have to do anything when you get old.

floor_split1.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When did 32 become old age? Lol
It must have something to do with all the schools catering to kids. The perception becomes that that is the norm, and by the time you reach 20 it is time to retire. Martial arts are for kids, and adults who continue to train are weird/nerds/abnormal/…

Funny thing for me, when I began training I was age 13 in a class of adults. I felt like the oddball for being so young, I perceived it as an adult thing to do. That was 1984. Times have changed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts are for kids, and adults who continue to train are weird/nerds/abnormal/…
That's nuts. That's the image that martial arts has? I guess I'll have to be weird then.

I hoping that image is only in your area. Lol

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's nuts. That's the image that martial arts has? I guess I'll have to be weird then.

I hoping that image is only in your area. Lol
I honestly think that it does and it comes from all the daycare krotty schools that are filled with kids under the age is 12 and very few or zero adults. I believe the perception is held by a lot of people.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
32 is too old for this school.

View attachment 28809
Most likely true. Perhaps they have a solid group of adults training at other times, but from what I’ve seen in a lot of schools that focus on the kids, they often do not. Their website may claim otherwise and they may honestly wish to have more adults, but when the place becomes filled with children, the adults perceive that as the aim of the school and either won’t train at all or look like to train elsewhere.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you have a commercial dojo kids classes pay the rent.

And even though nobody asked, I'll tell you something anyway. If you train your kids classes with strict discipline, even if you have to throw out a brat here and there, word will spread like wildfire. And your classes will become huge.

And when I say "strict discipline" I don't mean like a drill Sergeant in the military. Just strict dojo protocol, and at the same time having fun. If kids like being there, they'll eat up the discipline, become good students, do better in school and their parents will become advertising agents for your school.

Even if you have to throw some parents out now and then, too.

Latest Discussions