Any ITF Instructors in San Antonio TX?

djsawyer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I work out of the country for international construction company and I am in Zimbabwe for the next three years, and have found the Zimbabwe International TAEKWON-DO Assoication.

I have RnR coming up in April and will be traveling back to San Antonio TX, of which my family moved to while I'm overseas. I am trying to find a Dojang to keep going to while at home for the month but cannot find any ITF affiliated there... is it possible, please anybody, guide me to someone?

Been searching and searching online... there are no ITF affiliated Dojangs in San Antonio... At least I can't find one. I've sent email to the different American bodies associated with ITF but no replies.

Yours in Taekwon..
AW

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am really not up to speed with ITF and how ITF might be different from "Traditional TKD" but I did find this school:

Traditional Tae Kwon-Do Academy | 12918 BANDERA RD, HELOTES, TX 78023 (210)695-8805

It's not a Kukkiwon/WTF school and seems to go back to Sun Yi. There's someone here in my town who is affiliated with Sun Yi Trad TKD and I know they are doing the Hyung forms.....again no idea if this is what you're looking for or not but maybe it's helpful nonetheless.

Edit: ok just saw now that they are not ITF but Traditional TKD Association.......whatever that might be.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really not up to speed with ITF and how ITF might be different from "Traditional TKD" but I did find this school:

Traditional Tae Kwon-Do Academy | 12918 BANDERA RD, HELOTES, TX 78023 (210)695-8805

The term "traditional TKD" is pretty meaningless. I've seen the most hardcore sport oriented TKD schools, right down the street from the Olympic Training Center bill their program as "traditional TKD."

It's not a Kukkiwon/WTF school and seems to go back to Sun Yi. There's someone here in my town who is affiliated with Sun Yi Trad TKD and I know they are doing the Hyung forms.....again no idea if this is what you're looking for or not but maybe it's helpful nonetheless.

The word "hyung" means "forms", so "hyung forms" means "forms forms" and is clearly silly. :)
They use the Chang Hon forms, which are the forms developed by General Choi (and others) for use in the ITF prior to his death and the split of the ITF into so many different sects.

To the OP:
Since you're looking for a place to visit for a month, I wouldn't get too worked up over the details. While the school linked here does apparently use the Chang Hon forms, you may very well find that they are not doing them exactly as you've been taught. How these forms are done has changed significantly over the years, even before the death of General Choi (for example, the switch to the "sine wave" movement). Not everybody adopted all those changes (I still do them without Sine Wave, because that is how I first learned them, and because I remain unconvinced that Sine Wave movement provides any real benefit). And there are at least three organizations that all claim to be "the" ITF, plus countless other organizations (such as the one this school belongs to) that clearly share ITF-roots but have gone their own way.
This being true, it's entirely possibly that you may be taught something that you'll have to unlearn when you return to your usual school.

My advice? Go visit your family. Find the nearest school and go visit it, regardless of the org it's affiliated with or the forms it uses. Go visit. Have fun. Exposure to other systems and other mindsets is a good thing, and to be encouraged.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
.................................... While the school linked here does apparently use the Chang Hon forms, .........................................How these forms are done has changed significantly over the years, even before the death of General Choi..................................

This generalization would not be correct for any school performing according to the ITF standard since about 1987. Updates / modifications / clarifications since then are nominal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This generalization would not be correct for any school performing according to the ITF standard since about 1987. Updates / modifications / clarifications since then are nominal.

Sure, the most significant changes were made early on in the evolution of the system, but smaller changes have continued. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this evolution of the system is a bad thing. I'm saying that the system HAS changed, and that given the fact that there are at least three ITF's, plus who knows how many offshoots that split off at various places during the evolution, and that each of these groups may well have made their own official changes... there's a very real possibility that there will be differences in the standards. And that when the OP is only talking about visiting a place for a month, the specifics of the style visited probably don't matter greatly.

Latest Discussions