Antidepressant Makers Withold Data on Children

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.mercola.com/2004/feb/11/child_clinical_trials.htm

Antidepressant Makers Withhold Data on Children

Makers of popular antidepressants such as Paxil, Zoloft and Effexor have refused to disclose the details of most clinical trials involving children taking these drugs. The unpublished data is denying doctors and parents crucial information showing that some of these antidepressant drugs may cause children to become suicidal.

The companies are calling the unpublished studies trade secrets. Researchers familiar with these trade secrets say the majority of the secret trials show children who took the antidepressants did not get any better than those who took sugar pills. Analyses suggest that as many as one percent of children in the United States are treated for depression in any year. Of those, 57 percent are on antidepressants.

Researchers have found that the unpublished studies hide the fact that most antidepressant drugs have little to no affect on the children who take them. Most of the studies' outcomes have turned out with negative results and these are the ones that doctors and parents do not have access to.

For example, GlaxoSmithKine, makers of the antidepressant Paxil, had conducted three trials on children taking the drug. The results showed that all turned out with negative results, but only one was published. Another drug company, Pfizer, which makes Zoloft, sponsored two trials in children. One of the trials had a negative result, but researchers found out the company pooled it with a positive study and only published the combined result, which was positive.

Some doctors and consumer advocates question the real reasons why the negative results go unpublished, believing they go unpublished only because the trials conducted are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. Scientists believe the only way to ensure that science is conducted in the public interest is for it to be funded with public dollars, as opposed to pharmaceutical industry dollars.

The Food and Drug Administration is evaluating 20 studies, however agency officials have declined to identify which ones.

Washington Post January 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Mercola's Comment:
This article above extremely concerns me as more and more American children are being treated with psychiatric drugs. The number of children taking drugs such as Prozac has tripled from 1987 to 1996 and continued to increase through 2000.

It is a sad, but not unexpected, tragedy that our drug use is being extended to children. Americans had more than 3 billion prescriptions filled in 2000. On the average that is one prescription for every man, woman and child in the United States every single month. Just image how many prescriptions are being filled now, four years later.

Clearly there is something seriously wrong here.

Fortunately, there are simple and inexpensive alternatives for children suffering from depression in the United States and elsewhere.

For children who suffer from depression, following the nutrition plan and using the omega-3 oils, such as fish oil and cod liver oil, can be helpful. I am convinced that the ideal form of fish oil should be consumed in a liquid, and now advise against fish oil capsules. With fish oil liquid, I have found through clinical experience that the brand definitely matters.

While I am sure there are a few other high-quality brands available in the world, the only one I can currently recommend with total confidence is Carlson's fish oil and cod liver oil. Carlson's quality is exceptional, and their products' purity is documented by independent labor atories. Carlson's fish oil and cod liver oil are available in my "Recommended Products" section, or you may be able to find Carlson's in your local health food store

Additionally, EFT is a profoundly helpful tool to quickly, inexpensively and permanently resolve the underlying emotional causes of the problem. Thanks to EFT and a better understanding of biochemical nutrition, it is very rare that I need to use these types of drugs for any child. I can count the number of prescriptions I have written for them on one hand since I started using EFT.

If you or your child is struggling with depression, one of the best things you can do is find a qualified EFT practitioner to help with the treatment, and you can use Dr. Patricia Carrington's guidelines on how to find an EFT therapist who you can work with. You can also consult my EFT Series on DVD or VHS for further EFT instruction, as this can be used at home to enhance the work you do with a qualified practitioner.

Related Articles:

Antidepressant Increases Risk of Suicide in Kids

Millions of U.S. Adults Not Treated for Depression

Antidepressant Paxil May Increase Suicide Risk

Prozac Backlash: Overcoming the Dangers of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and Other Antidepressants with Safe, Effective Alternatives

Prozac Possible 'Link' to Brain Tumors

Children Should Not Take Paxil

UK to Ban Antidepressants in Kids

T

TonyM.

Antidepressants=chemical restraints. Period. I quit working in the field primarily because of them. Please don't insult me by telling me about the one minorly depressed person(read:could have done without the drugs) that was supposedly helped by antidepressants because I'll tell you about six or more for every one that was hurt. If you want to know how some former patients feel about this, check out an organization called The Integrity Institute.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony, I like the chemical restraints analogy. It seems to be the same with far too may ADHD cases. Yes, there are indeed genuine cases of ADHD but far too many of them are simply cases of "I don't want to deal with a kid right now" parents. Many of these cases, both depression and psuedo-ADHD, could be much better helped by a little parental intervention/attention. The days of better living through pharmacology are indeed upon us. Unfortunately, like most other things that can benefit us, we've (society) taken it too far and it is now a crutch for every small ailment (real or imagined). I'm not normally one to advocate government intervention but this is a case in which I believe the FDA should demand that all studies be made available to the public.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
Tony, I like the chemical restraints analogy. It seems to be the same with far too may ADHD cases. Yes, there are indeed genuine cases of ADHD but far too many of them are simply cases of "I don't want to deal with a kid right now" parents. Many of these cases, both depression and psuedo-ADHD, could be much better helped by a little parental intervention/attention. The days of better living through pharmacology are indeed upon us. Unfortunately, like most other things that can benefit us, we've (society) taken it too far and it is now a crutch for every small ailment (real or imagined). I'm not normally one to advocate government intervention but this is a case in which I believe the FDA should demand that all studies be made available to the public.

Well if they did that then the pharmacutical companies would go broke and politicians would lose their annual perks for NOT requiring studies be made available to the public. Doctors would lose their perks as well because they wouldn't be able to prescribe them.

I'll agree with you there about the "lazy parent syndrome" that has affected a lot of kids. I do believe there are authentic cases of ADHD and ADD and so on... but they're relatively few.
It's the subtle medicating of our society which has been trained for the "immediate-gratification", quick fix which is hyped to no end by the advertizing agencies. The all mighty dollah speaks and people listen.

So the question is what can or should we do about it? Write our congressman? Boycott the pharmacutical companies? Or simply educate the unknowing and unaware?

:uhyeah: