Answer this question....if you dare.....

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BOOOOO!
:xtrmshock
Scared yea?

The question is, what do you think is the most suspenseful movie scene? I don't mean scary, or the one that gave you nightmares. I mean the one that made you jump out of your seat and got your heart going the most. And it doesn't have to be recent....I would actually prefer it if it were not recent.

I am working on a project, so your opinion on this would be great!

Thanks!

:)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A scene from "The First Power". Not sure which one, it's been years, but I think maybe the part where the bag lady becomes possessed by the killer and does a karate kick on Lou Diamon Phillip's character.

Also, the albino scene from "Foul Play" - the FIRST time I saw it as a kid.

Great topic, Paul!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hitchcock was a master of suspense of course. Watch his movies and you'll see why. Examples:

The Birds: The gathering of the crows outside the school-house. A long lingering shot (first of it's kind) on the leading actress Tippi Hendren then the camera moves back and we see on the jungle gym and school roof top hundreds of crows where before there were none.
Another scene where Rod Taylor steps out of the house to retrieve the car the morning after the night attack and there are thousands of birds of different varieties scattered. He walks on egg-shells to the garage and ever-so-slowly drives the car to the house, trying not to run over any of the birds.
Another one... Jessica Tandy walks through her neighbor's house to find the owner... finds him she does... sitting up right on the floor against the corner of his bedroom in his pee-jays ... dead... eyes pecked out.

That movie creeped me out as a kid.
(please note... this film had NO music what-so-ever to heighten the suspense).

Silence of the Lambs: Jodie Foster hunting for Buffalo Bill in the darkness of his home and he's right behind her the whole time.

Jodie Foster meeting Anthony Hopkins for the first time as he stands serenely behind glass.

The Deer Hunter: Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken and John Savage are forced by their Vietnamese captors to play a brutal game of Russian roulette.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Silence of the Lambs: Jodie Foster hunting for Buffalo Bill in the darkness of his home and he's right behind her the whole time.

This is what came to my mind first here. Yikes!!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The black and white version of "The Haunting"..There were a couple of REAL heartstoppers in it...

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Twilight Zone...
William Shatner is on an airplane, and he sees the monster out on the wing...It gets closer and closer to the fuselage, until it's right outside the window looking in!

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
JasonASmith said:
The Twilight Zone...
William Shatner is on an airplane, and he sees the monster out on the wing...It gets closer and closer to the fuselage, until it's right outside the window looking in!
I remember that one....spooky stuff.

Will Shatner is going to be Roasted on, Comedy Central, Sunday at 9 Central.....got my DVR set.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
None really immediately stand out for me... When I was a kid, I guess there are several scenes from the first predator movie that were pretty suspensful. Especially when the indian point-man is on the edge of the clearing and suspects something is around but cannot seem to place it.

Another show that I thought was quite suspensful when I was a kid were a few scenes from the "Howling" movie series that got me.

More recently I thought "The Village" was pretty suspensful in a few places. Sixth Sense was suspensful at times as well. I guess we can throw in Saw, Saw 2, and Hostel.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone remember The Day After, a 1983 made-for-TV movie? The scene when the bombs dropped totally freaked out my brothers and I. Our mom shut the TV off and talked to us to help us calm down. I had nightmares for the entire week.

That movie recently came out on DVD - and I still don't want to watch it. It was the first movie I remember that genuinely scared me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jaws when that music started and the anticipation of waiting for the shark and when it did pop it ugly head every single person in that theatre jump out of there seat.
Terry

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Jaws when that music started and the anticipation of waiting for the shark and when it did pop it ugly head every single person in that theatre jump out of there seat.
Terry
Yeah, that one gave me nightmares as a kid as well. Very well done. Speilberg at the height of his best.
Likewise Poltergiest, the suspense building from seemingly harmless activities (the chair-stacking and lights flickering) to the nightly visitations with the ghost hunters being awed outta their minds and the one guy's face peeling off.

But the movies that are creeping me out now-a-days are the Japanese (versions) of Dark-Water, The Grudge, The Ring... americanized versions are good but something about the originals ... <shudders>

Check out Kwaidan when you get a chance. :D

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I love horror movies, but the one that still gets me to this day is "The Fog". Mind you, I'm speaking of the early 80's version with Adrienne Barbeau and Jamie Lee Curtis. Just the scene at the end in the church, with the fog creeping in, and the figures shambling slowly... *shudder*

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

Try humming that tune or run it through your mind the next time you are out in the ocean in at least in 30 or more feet in the water! Yikes, that really is still frightening!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when Cameron falls into the swimming pool. Will he make it, or not?!?!?!?!? Someone, get him out of the pool!!!!!!! Hurry dammit!!!

SIXTH SENSE SPOILER ALERT

BigShadow mentioned Sixth Sense. The moment Bruce Willis' character realized that he was dead. I'm not even sure how to describe how I felt. I was sure they goofed earlier in the film. I even did a rewind to when he was visiting the boy's house. I was sure there was communication between Willis and the mother, but there wasn't.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
BOOOOO!
:xtrmshock
Scared yea?

The question is, what do you think is the most suspenseful movie scene? I don't mean scary, or the one that gave you nightmares. I mean the one that made you jump out of your seat and got your heart going the most. And it doesn't have to be recent....I would actually prefer it if it were not recent.

I am working on a project, so your opinion on this would be great!

Thanks!

POSSIBLE kill bill 2 SPOILER ALERT

Kill Bill Vol. 2.. The Bride faces off with Elle (gal with the eyepatch played by the every sexy Daryl Hannah).. Sword to sword, they struggle and in a flash, Elle has her remaining eye plucked out. My mother, litterally on the edge of her seat completely launched herself from her chair and cheered.

It wasn't so suspenseful to me. I mean, c'mon.. The protagonist wins. Of course. Duh.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:

POSSIBLE kill bill 2 SPOILER ALERT

Kill Bill Vol. 2.. The Bride faces off with Elle (gal with the eyepatch played by the every sexy Daryl Hannah).. Sword to sword, they struggle and in a flash, Elle has her remaining eye plucked out. My mother, litterally on the edge of her seat completely launched herself from her chair and cheered.

It wasn't so suspenseful to me. I mean, c'mon.. The protagonist wins. Of course. Duh.

I think that is the only eye-gouging movie scene that didn't gross me out. Two words came to mind: Poetic justice.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy... Two particular scenes, from the same movie.

In the 1990 remake of "Night of the Living Dead," towards the end, when Barbara is near the pickup truck, she runs into a ghoulish-looking fellow, and shrieks. As it turns out, the ghoulish-looking fellow was an ordinary human, and simply smiles. A few rednecks in the background get a chuckle.

The second one was also at the end, when Barbara goes back to the house where the siege had occurred, and sees Harry Cooper (who survived the onslaught), and as he starts gratefully walking towards her, blasts a .357 magnum shell into his head, telling the rednecks who came into the room to see what happened, that there's another dead zombie for the fire.

Latest Discussions