China bans the Simpsons

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh sure my Wife and I were just talking about moving to Beijing and now I find that the Chinese government banned the Simpsons......

That’s it I'm not going!!!!

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Oh sure my Wife and I were just talking about moving to Beijing and now I find that the Chinese government banned the Simpsons......

That’s it I'm not going!!!!

Eek.. Yeah that's a good reason not to go.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's a bit too satirical for the one party state. I'm surprised it was there at all. :idunno:

Although I don't mind the occassional Simpsons, my step daughter watches it constantly, and for a 10 year old to be repeating a lot of the language, and mentality in it, doesn't sit well with me. Ah... I'm getting old in my old age. ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kensai said:
I guess it's a bit too satirical for the one party state. I'm surprised it was there at all. :idunno:

Although I don't mind the occassional Simpsons, my step daughter watches it constantly, and for a 10 year old to be repeating a lot of the language, and mentality in it, doesn't sit well with me. Ah... I'm getting old in my old age. ;)

But seriously

The issue is, in reality, very close to what you are saying.

The Chinese do not delineate between adult cartoons and cartoons for Children. In their mind all cartoons are for kids. It was just not acceptable to the parents as a cartoon for their children. No big government issues just parents complaining about content. And I can't blame them. I will watch the Simpsons but I will not watch them if my daughter is in near the TV.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
But seriously

The Chinese do not delineate between adult cartoons and cartoons for Children. In their mind all cartoons are for kids. It was just not acceptable to the parents as a cartoon for their children. No big government issues just parents complaining about content. And I can't blame them. I will watch the Simpsons but I will not watch them if my daughter is in near the TV.

That is very interesting. I am fascinated by Chinese culture but know little about it. Of course, it's a valid reason for being unable to move to Beijing. I mean, c'mon, how will you ever make it without the Simpson's??? ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
That is very interesting. I am fascinated by Chinese culture but know little about it.

What is equally as interesting, to me, was the first story I saw on this in a local newspaper. They made it sound like the Chinese Government was banning ALL American cartoons and they had a picture of Garfield the cat associated with the article.

My wife happened to be talking to her sister at the time (she lives in Beijing) and said not that's not true her some was watching Garfield as they were speaking.

It was not until latter yesterday that I saw a story on the web that said China bans the Simpsons that I got the whole story.

Jade Tigress said:
Of course, it's a valid reason for being unable to move to Beijing. I mean, c'mon, how will you ever make it without the Simpson's??? ;)

EXACTLY that's my point. How can I go through life without knowing what happens with the Simpsons or watching Simpson reruns EVERY SINGLE DAY. I mean Beijing is great and the food is wonderful and I could train Tai Chi everyday and possibly Yiquan, learn Mandarin... But NO Simpsons...nope it just ain't happening.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
What is equally as interesting, to me, was the first story I saw on this in a local newspaper. They made it sound like the Chinese Government was banning ALL American cartoons and they had a picture of Garfield the cat associated with the article.

My wife happened to be talking to her sister at the time (she lives in Beijing) and said not that's not true her some was watching Garfield as they were speaking.

It was not until latter yesterday that I saw a story on the web that said China bans the Simpsons that I got the whole story.

That figures. The press is soooooo reliable. :rolleyes:

Xue Sheng said:
EXACTLY that's my point. How can I go through life without knowing what happens with the Simpsons or watching Simpson reruns EVERY SINGLE DAY. I mean Beijing is great and the food is wonderful and I could train Tai Chi everyday and possibly Yiquan, learn Mandarin... But NO Simpsons...nope it just ain't happening.

Well, if there's one thing that can be said about you, it's that you have your priorities in order. heehee

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
to kids cartoon is cartoon too. there's no way you can make a child understand why 'cartoon is bad'!
Xue Sheng said:
But seriously

pirate wyatt

White Belt
Reaction score
As if that was bad enough youd also have a censord internet :p. That could take some getting used too.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
pirate wyatt said:
As if that was bad enough youd also have a censord internet :p. That could take some getting used too.

It was when I was there, but when I was there last I was visiting and since I work on Computers every single day I was actually rather happy about it.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Does that mean no Family Guy either? Because that would be atrocious.

I never thought of that, you know I do not think they had family guy in the first place and American Dad is right out.

THAT'S IT I am NEVER GOING TO BEIJING AGAIN!!!!!!!

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I never thought of that, you know I do not think they had family guy in the first place and American Dad is right out.

THAT'S IT I am NEVER GOING TO BEIJING AGAIN!!!!!!!

You should take it MUCH further than that mate, you shouldn't leave your house again! Bring your sifu to your house, move your office to your house, etc etc.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kensai said:
You should take it MUCH further than that mate, you shouldn't leave your house again! Bring your sifu to your house, move your office to your house, etc etc.

Now that's just silly, and when I am being entirely reasonable and logical about this whole thing. :)

Just between you and me, and don't tell anyone, but I don't watch any of them much, if at all these days.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I read it they didn't ban the Simpsons so much as ban non-Chinese cartoons from playing during the 5pm-8pm time slot which in America at least is the time period the Simpsons falls. This is to help the Chinese cartoon compete in China and in theory in the global market. So in reality if the Simpsons was broadcast at say 10pm, it could still air.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Now that's just silly, and when I am being entirely reasonable and logical about this whole thing. :)

Just between you and me, and don't tell anyone, but I don't watch any of them much, if at all these days.

Oooooh no it isn't... (oh yes it is etc etc). I'm on the bus ding ding! Have a nice weekend peeps, it's friday evening, time to go home!! Woohoo!!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
The way I read it they didn't ban the Simpsons so much as ban non-Chinese cartoons from playing during the 5pm-8pm time slot which in America at least is the time period the Simpsons falls. This is to help the Chinese cartoon compete in China and in theory in the global market. So in reality if the Simpsons was broadcast at say 10pm, it could still air.

So you’re saying I should not let this interfere with going to Beijing?

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
So you’re saying I should not let this interfere with going to Beijing?

I wouldn't...you just got to plan to stay up a bit later ;)

Latest Discussions