Another Global Warming claim Down the Drain

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
NY Times story
Add this to last weeks story about how global warming hasn't happened in a decade and you get a bad week for environmental fear mongers

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don, if you're out of work later this Spring come on up to Washington. They don't have enough migrant workers to harvest the orchards could use an expert cherry picker.

If you actually bothered to read the article, much less look at the abstract of the article it discusses you would have been embarrassed to post this. The fungus responsible for the disappearance of the harlequin frog thrives in certain climatic conditions. With increasing global temperature those conditions apply over more of the frogs' range.

Nobody is disputing that.

This original researchers think there is a permanent reservoir of the fungus where there wasn't one before. The second group believes that there may have been several infections. Both of them agree on the cause of the population crash. Both agree that higher temperatures encourage the growth of the fungus. Both agree that there are higher temperatures in the frogs' range than in years past.

They part ways on the source of the fungus and agree that they don't know enough to make a final conclusion. As always, more research needs to be done.

But you have somehow passed that through some sort of paranoid filter and concluded that the original research was a hoax and that things aren't getting warmer worldwide or if they are it's not a problem.

You've been beaten bloody up one side and down the other every time you've repeated the Republican Talking Points on this. Give it up. You're not fooling anyone including yourself.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the melting permafrost in Alaska and Siberia ... that's all ... what, group hallucination?

Oh good. I feel so much better now ....

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the issue here (in general, not this paper) is not global climate change. We don't live in a closed system. The climate constantly changes. I think the sticking point is that is it man caused rather than natural factors, such as long term solar cycles or global incidents such as volcanic activity.

Is the climate changing? Sure, it always has. There were ice ages and warmer ages in our planets history. Is it our fault? Thats harder to convince people of. Should we be better stewards of our planet? I don't think thats difficult to argue, but I think we need to be smart about how we do so. Try to inspire and uplift rather than pulling down, insulting and inspiring fear. Instead of raising taxes to pay for environmental improvements lower taxes or give tax breaks for companies or individuals doing positive things for the environment. Help developing nations acquire "green" technologies so they don't make the same boo-boo's we did.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead of raising taxes to pay for environmental improvements lower taxes or give tax breaks for companies or individuals doing positive things for the environment.

That's pretty much the exact same thing. Money given to these companies will have to be made up somehow, and once our creditors stop letting us borrow without limit, that means raising taxes.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh man not again.

OK there is no global warming Ice caps are not melting, weather is not changing and all is pretty all is good and everything works just like it should... on a global scale

There Don you are right all is right with the world and when the people of Florida find their homes are under water just look North and say everything is just fine

When and if things occur like they did during the Younger Dryas and things get REAL cold REAL fast due to all the excess fresh water in the Ocean form the ice that is not melting causes the conveyor belt system to shut down just close your eyes and click you heals together 3 times and repeat there is no place like home... there is no place like home.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, now ladies and gents :lol:.

I concur with your exasperation and I know we've repeatedly tried every gentler method to try and shine a light into a dark corner but people are entitled to their opinions (within certain boundaries of decency). I know how I would react if the roles were reversed.

I have to blushing confess that I have, in the past, more or less outright posted that Don was being wilfully blind but I was wrong to do so - that was just my own personality trait coming through wherein a reflexive gainsaying of reason and evidence wafts my incredulity factor through the roof :eek:.

He's never going to agree until the ocean laps over his feet, so it's futile to argue. All we can do is point out when statements are made that do not compute with programmed facts, as the Nutrimatic Drinks Machine once so famously said. That way those that are genuinely uniformed are not mislead and we don't skirt the borders of the Terms & Conditions.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey, I live in Florida. :uhoh: Oh well, guess I better get crackin' on that houseboat.

Nah, you got time... at least a week and a half :D

Actually at this rate baring any possible cooling effect that could happen form to much fresh water being introduced into the system I think the figure was about 100 years or so.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually at this rate baring any possible cooling effect that could happen form to much fresh water being introduced into the system I think the figure was about 100 years or so.

The problem is, they really don't know. They make predictions, and then things start to happen a lot faster than they thought possible and they have to revise their predictions. I've heard some predictions, based on observed and measured events, that suggest we will see some real effects within our lifetimes. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets shortened down to a decade or two...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://media.www.kstatecollegian.co...Not.Prove.Global.Warming.Claims-2941785.shtml

...One problem with the latter argument is global warming actually is not global at all. According to a study by Lubos Motl, a Harvard physicist, global warming is not affecting the whole world.

The study showed the southern hemisphere has been warming 0.05 degrees Celsius a decade since 1970. The physicist has stated the measuring station at the South Pole actually has shown a distinctive cooling trend in temperatures.

Even with that fact presented, many people who believe in the man-made myth that is global warming still argue the temperatures we are experiencing are all-time highs.

However, Christopher Horner, a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise and an acknowledged expert on Gore-bal warming legislation and regulation, does not believe the argument is quite accurate.

"Evidence suggests it is currently colder than it was during the well-established Medieval Warm Period," Horner said.

Even without air conditioned buildings, homes and cars, the peasants and knights during the Medieval Warm Period somehow dealt with the heat. Instead of crying "armageddon" to the entire world, they went out and made the best of it. Horner said this time was considered a golden age for agriculture, innovation and lifespan.

The earth has hardly been warming over the past years. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change announced that over the span of the 20th century, the global average surface temperature increased about 0.6 degrees Celsius.

Sometimes a few facts are not enough to sway a global warming fanatic. People still will argue in support of the global-warming theory by saying the glaciers are melting. ...

...Here's a question: what happens when you leave an ice cube out on your counter? It melts. Ice tends to melt when it is in an environment above freezing. To say an ice glacier is melting is not an eye opening, jaw-dropping discovery. Rather, it is merely a guess.

It is not a good guess, either. While some glaciers have been melting, scientists have proven other glaciers are growing (a process known as calving), Horner said.

So if the melting of a glacier is proof of global warming, then the calving of another must be proof of a global cooling...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.denverpost.com/harsanyi/ci_3899807

Pielke contends there isn't enough intellectual diversity in the debate. He claims a few vocal individuals are quoted "over and over" again, when in fact there are a variety of opinions.

I ask him: How do we fix the public perception that the debate is over?

"Quite frankly," says Pielke, who runs the Climate Science Weblog (climatesci.atmos.colostate.edu), "I think the media is in the ideal position to do that. If the media honestly presented the views out there, which they rarely do, things would change. There aren't just two sides here. There are a range of opinions on this issue. A lot of scientists out there that are very capable of presenting other views are not being heard."

Al Gore (not a scientist) has definitely been heard - and heard and heard. His documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," is so important, in fact, that Gore crisscrosses the nation destroying the atmosphere just to tell us about it.

"Let's just say a crowd of baby boomers and yuppies have hijacked this thing," Gray says. "It's about politics. Very few people have experience with some real data. I think that there is so much general lack of knowledge on this. I've been at this over 50 years down in the trenches working, thinking and teaching."

Gray acknowledges that we've had some warming the past 30 years. "I don't question that," he explains. "And humans might have caused a very slight amount of this warming. Very slight. But this warming trend is not going to keep on going. My belief is that three, four years from now, the globe will start to cool again, as it did from the middle '40s to the middle '70s."

Both Gray and Pielke say there are many younger scientists who voice their concerns about global warming hysteria privately but would never jeopardize their careers by speaking up.

"Plenty of young people tell me they don't believe it," he says. "But they won't touch this at all. If they're smart, they'll say: 'I'm going to let this run its course.' It's a sort of mild McCarthyism. I just believe in telling the truth the best I can. I was brought up that way."

So next time you're with some progressive friends, dissent. Tell 'em you're not sold on this global warming stuff.

Back away slowly. You'll probably be called a fascist.

Don't worry, you're not. A true fascist is anyone who wants to take away my air conditioning or force me to ride a bike.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still think an ice age is coming so where does that leave me :lol:?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

I was half expecting some smart Alec comments like "Out in the cold" or "Stuck in the '70's".

ChadWarner

Green Belt
Reaction score
So the melting permafrost in Alaska and Siberia ... that's all ... what, group hallucination?

Oh good. I feel so much better now ....

The ice is increasing in the antarctic. The changes in the weather have a lot more to do with the solar system and gravitational pull accentuating the tides by the sun and the moon prolly much more than anything else and precession of the earth itself. These things are natural phenomena and there is nothing humans can do to change it at this point in time.

There are too many variables to think something so insignificant as man could really change the solar system and thus begin to affect the climate on earth in less the 100 years.

Just the study of plate tectonics should tell you the currents will change and weather and temperature will be greatly effected on earth. This will happen and is happening now inch by inch.

What you should be concerned with is multi national death corporations importing lead based paint and such into America. This will kill much sooner then global anything except war.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
006201c884659088b1e06a00a8c0.jpg

The argument of the centutry can now come to an end.

I'm going to buy some rubbers...shoe covers...just in case Ohio gets flooded.