Ankle brace recommendations?

Holy Samosa

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for an ankle brace that will offer enough support to prevent reinjury while I recover from an ankle sprain, yet also allow a reasonable range of motion so that I can effectively train.

What works for you guys? What hasn't worked out so well?

Thanks!
Jeremy

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does your doctor and/or physical therapist recommend?

OP
H

Holy Samosa

White Belt
Reaction score
I just finished up doctor prescribed therapy for another injury, but this one was sufficiently minor that I elected not to go to the doc. I took a couple of weeks off, now I'm planning on easing back into training. I just don't want a reinjury while it's weak and still healing.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd think it might be wise to seek treatment before getting back into full training. In any event, I'd go with what a professional recommends...it'll be better than any advice you'll get from us amateurs on the internet. Too many variables to consider, especially if you've had other ecent injuries.

I'd hate for you (or anyone) to ruin their MA career based on unsound advice.

HarHarris

White Belt
Reaction score
Usually, doctors recommend ankle braces, and actually use ankle brace compression sleeve. For example, TechWare Pro and POWERLIX not only provide ankle support, but also prevent ankle injuries caused during exercise. This type of ankle support does not affect the movement of the ankle, I can wear it for proper exercise.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for an ankle brace that will offer enough support to prevent reinjury while I recover from an ankle sprain, yet also allow a reasonable range of motion so that I can effectively train.

What works for you guys? What hasn't worked out so well?

Thanks!
Jeremy

My sons instructor who has a masters degree in kinesiology suggested specific exercises with elastic bands to help strengthen his ankle after a sprain.

I will see if I can find some of the exercises later and post them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My sons instructor who has a masters degree in kinesiology suggested specific exercises with elastic bands to help strengthen his ankle after a sprain.

I will see if I can find some of the exercises later and post them.
this is an extremely old thread but yes, bracing something so you can use it is not the way forward unless it's a chronic injury that isn't going to get better, rather using it gentle then not so gently to strengthen it is the way forward

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is an extremely old thread but yes, bracing something so you can use it is not the way forward unless it's a chronic injury that isn't going to get better, rather using it gentle then not so gently to strengthen it is the way forward

Heck....I didnt even notice the date.

:banghead: