Ankle bone query

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm 76 and broke my ankle some 28 years ago. The orthopedist decided to just put a cast on and let me walk using crutches until it healed. It sounds like your break was worse than mine and I was far removed from my youth. That foot is still a bit problematic and the ankle slightly misshaped. Flexibility in that joint isn't great and I have "foot drop" on that side. Yes, one must work through it and it can improve quite a bit if care is taken.

One of my black belt students who has his own school had to have a hip replacement; can't recall if it was just one or both. He was a fantastic student. I've seen videos of him training and he's looking the same as always. He was a young adult when he started training at my dojo. I have two sons older than he is.

OP
L

Langoxer

White Belt
Reaction score
I saw this a while ago…there is light at the end of the tunnel…hang on in there!
Interesting my dad could do with that more as he’s already had a half knee replacement due to no cartilage left in it.

I don’t think that’s my problem, I had 3 fractures around the ankle, can’t remember where exactly. But it’s the growth plate that (I may be butchering this) allows our leg bones to grow before fusing when we have fully grown.
I had detached a piece of that and from what I’ve read that can actually affect the growth in that leg sometimes resulting in one leg ending up shorter than the other.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting my dad could do with that more as he’s already had a half knee replacement due to no cartilage left in it.

I don’t think that’s my problem, I had 3 fractures around the ankle, can’t remember where exactly. But it’s the growth plate that (I may be butchering this) allows our leg bones to grow before fusing when we have fully grown.
I had detached a piece of that and from what I’ve read that can actually affect the growth in that leg sometimes resulting in one leg ending up shorter than the other.
They’re usually very careful in dealing with fractures in people who haven’t ceased growing! Poor you😢

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re usually very careful in dealing with fractures in people who haven’t ceased growing! Poor you😢
I believe Bruce Lee had one leg shorter than the other (‘Zen in the Martial Arts’- Joe Hyams)

OP
L

Langoxer

White Belt
Reaction score
It all went well. I had surgery and the pinned the broken bit back in. That stayed In for I think a year. Then was removed in another surgery. Leg grew in fine and as far as I know it the same length. I never got the feeling back around the scar from the surgery’s.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe Bruce Lee had one leg shorter than the other (‘Zen in the Martial Arts’- Joe Hyams)
That's good little book!

It was def Joe Hyams, because his story has been quoted in quite a few articles. Not sure if there's another source though.

“You probably are not aware of it,” he said, “but my left leg is almost one inch shorter than the right. That fact dictated the best stance for me – my right foot leading. Then I found because the right leg was longer, I had an advantage with certain types of kicks, since the uneven stomp gave me greater impetus
".

Also from Hyam's notes, and I thought this was a good one considering the thread.

"“Stop comparing yourself at forty-five with the man you were at twenty or thirty,” Bruce answered. “the past is an illusion. You must learn to live in the present and accept yourself for what you are now. What you lack in flexibility and agility you must make up with knowledge and constant practice"

Smart fella.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good little book!

It was def Joe Hyams, because his story has been quoted in quite a few articles. Not sure if there's another source though.

“You probably are not aware of it,” he said, “but my left leg is almost one inch shorter than the right. That fact dictated the best stance for me – my right foot leading. Then I found because the right leg was longer, I had an advantage with certain types of kicks, since the uneven stomp gave me greater impetus".

Also from Hyam's notes, and I thought this was a good one considering the thread.

"“Stop comparing yourself at forty-five with the man you were at twenty or thirty,” Bruce answered. “the past is an illusion. You must learn to live in the present and accept yourself for what you are now. What you lack in flexibility and agility you must make up with knowledge and constant practice"

Smart fella.
I do love that little book and a copy is permanently installed in my toilet! Having said that, it has been criticised for having nothing to do with Zen! 😂

Conquering haste is an idea I live by.

Latest Discussions