Animation Irritation

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah... I know this is silly but for some reason it really rubs me the wrong way.

Ever notice that in cartoons when the character snaps his fingers, both the pointer finger and the thumb are extended?

That's BS!

Go ahead... snap your fingers and observe the position of the pointer finger and thumb during the process.

If animation is a representation of reality to any degree should it not observe the correct anotomical position of limbs and so forth when attempting to relay a message?!?!

It just aggravates me every time I see any animation involving finger snapping and it is represented by the pointer finger and thumb being fully extended in the end.

Anyone care to add to this thread with comments, suggestions, opinions, or otherwise? Am I insane or do I have a point?

Thanks!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL! You are silly. :D I think they do it because it's more noticeably a *snap* in the animation, otherwise it might look like they're making a fist. They also only have 4 fingers in cartoons, hee hee.

"I like the Wizard of Oz". ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The animation characters that I've seen only have 3 or 4 fingers so who's to say this is anatomically impossible? :idunno:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's how I snap my fingers. Index finger and thumb extended, snap my middle finger from the top of the thumb to the base of the thumb, landing half on the ring finger. Both index and thumb end in the same position; extended. Is there another way to snap one's fingers?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's how I snap my fingers. Index finger and thumb extended, snap my middle finger from the top of the thumb to the base of the thumb, landing half on the ring finger. Both index and thumb end in the same position; extended. Is there another way to snap one's fingers?

My son used to snap his fingers that way, I forgot about it until you mentioned it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's how I do it. My index finger and thumb usually end up in an "L" shape.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I'm a middle-finger-snapper-thumb-and-index-extended-at-the-ender too :D

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aye, I'm a middle-finger-snapper-thumb-and-index-extended-at-the-ender too :D

As am I. Didn't know there was another option, and am now driving my office mates nuts trying to figure it out.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this is kind of like the ability/lack of to roll one's tongue.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

As am I.

Are we in the minority?

Maybe we need to form a club and keep everyone else who does it the wrong way out. Then we could point at them and laugh, from behind our thick walls.....

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can end up in a fist like
or extend it.

Just body control no?

With the ringfinger I can make a double snap, 2 followed really fast :)