Ancient Japanest Texts

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I found a site that has translations of Shinto texts like the Kojiki, Nihongi, Yengishiki and Kogoshui for those that may be interested.

The Kojiki is one of the two primary sources for Shinto, the Japanese national religion. It starts in the realm of myth, with the creation of Japan from foam. Innumerable gods and goddesses are described. The narrative moves from mythology to historical legends, and culminates in a chronology of the early Imperial line.

The book is densely footnoted, almost to the point where the text is buried in apparatus. However, even this cannot shroud the wonderful story-telling. There are supernatural episodes, and tales of murder, passion and betrayal, all interspersed with extemporaneous poetry, reminiscent of Icelandic sagas.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/index.htm

There's also a collection of Japanese tales and folklore as well as texts from Lafcadio Hearn.

Enjoy! :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice find!
icon14.gif
I am going to read the stories of Kwaiden as I have
seen the movie of the same title and it was great.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a fabulous find, Mona :tup:. Given my interest in Japanese history I reckon those should keep me busy for a while - tho' I do have about a dozen text books that I have to get through too (I blame Gran Turismo for that ... and Age of Empires ... and Oblivion :eek:).

jtweymo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is a nice find... it's hard to find English translations of some historical writings (a fact I can appreciate since i do a small amount of amatuer translations.)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be readin gsome of those later today.

Thank you for the link

Latest Discussions