Anatomy and KOs

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As far as I understand (kindly correct me if I'm wrong), there are 2 ways to end/win an MMA fight: knockout or submission.

How does a knockout usually happen? The most common one I've heard of is a fighter punches or kicks someone, and they go down and remain unresponsive. How is that possible? I'm studying human physiology right now, and this really interests me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a brain injury. The brain bounces inside the skull, from the impact of the strike. Essentially, the brain isn't working properly for a period of time.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't a good strike to the chin or jaw cause flash KOs due to the nerves in and or around the jaw? Or is that wrong and it's solely just the quick turning of the head that does it.

Also you have liver shots.....not sure exactly what happens physiologically though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well there is chokes. And outright shock as well.

(We had a guy go unconscious from a body shot. Took him maybe 15 seconds to go out)

You can also nail nerves that will shut the brain down.

But involuntary head movement is a big factor and becomes a bit of a conversation when it comes to how a guy is knocked out. And how to prevent it.

OP
Brownielox

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's a brain injury. The brain bounces inside the skull, from the impact of the strike. Essentially, the brain isn't working properly for a period of time.

(We had a guy go unconscious from a body shot. Took him maybe 15 seconds to go out)

But involuntary head movement is a big factor and becomes a bit of a conversation when it comes to how a guy is knocked out. And how to prevent it.

This is all so cool to learn about!! So the brain just rattles around from being hit too hard?

My *curse word for butt* of an ex once let me try and knock him out using a punch and then a kick to the chin -- with gloves on of course -- but it didn't happen? Either I was too weak or didn't hit him in the right spot. It was like an upper-cut sort of punch

In other news: S/O to y'all for politely answering the question. The other forum I joined doesn't seem to be as welcoming. I guess you guys really do live up to the name "friendly MMA forum"

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as I understand (kindly correct me if I'm wrong), there are 2 ways to end/win an MMA fight: knockout or submission.
Can also go for the full rounds whether it be 3 or 5. That will end the fight and the win will be from from the fighter having won the highest total point accumulation per round.

Fighter can be put to sleep through a choke.
Fighter can be physically damaged and the fight stopped by the referee stoppage.
Fighter corner can request the fight be stopped by throwing in the towel.
Fight can be ended by referee stoppage due to disqualification.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is all so cool to learn about!! My *curse word for butt* of an ex once let me try and knock him out using a punch and then a kick to the chin -- with gloves on of course -- but it didn't happen? Either I was too weak or didn't hit him in the right spot. It was like an upper-cut sort of punch

In other news: S/O to y'all for politely answering the question. The other forum I joined doesn't seem to be as welcoming. I guess you guys really do live up to the name "friendly MMA forum"

Next hit him with a straight right or a hook on the chin causing his head to swivel around.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is all so cool to learn about!! My *curse word for butt* of an ex once let me try and knock him out using a punch and then a kick to the chin -- with gloves on of course -- but it didn't happen? Either I was too weak or didn't hit him in the right spot. It was like an upper-cut sort of punch

We are definitely the pips.

So if you look at trying to ko dudes. Simple things like their head position can effect the outcome. If they brace their neck and meet the punch where their head is strong.

Their head won't move and you won't get that brain shake.

Now if they are fighting back and you can catch them on a bit of an angle moving towards you and not so ready to take a shot. You get a lot more movement.

Last edited:
OP
Brownielox

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Next hit him with a straight right or a hook on the chin causing his head to swivel around.

I'm not planning on their being a next time...for both our sakes :inpain:

We are definitely the pips.

So if you look at trying to ko dudes. Simple things like their head position can effect the outcome. If they brace their neck and meet the punch where their head is strong.

Their head won't move and you won't get that brain shake.

Now if they are fighting back and you can catch them on a bit of an angle moving towards you and not so ready to take a shot. You get a lot more movement.

Good to know...if I ever have to use it. I'm not looking to intentionally hurt people though haha. I've only ever seriously hurt someone a few times, and that was during grappling and all totally accidental.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can end

How does a knockout usually happen? The most common one I've heard of is a fighter punches or kicks someone, and they go down and remain unresponsive. How is that possible? I'm studying human physiology right now, and this really interests me.
You can end a fight through body blows as well.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't a good strike to the chin or jaw cause flash KOs due to the nerves in and or around the jaw? Or is that wrong and it's solely just the quick turning of the head that does it.

Also you have liver shots.....not sure exactly what happens physiologically though.
No it's not the nerves around the jaw, it's the head quickly rotating causing a concussion that knocks people out.

OP
Brownielox

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No it's not the nerves around the jaw, it's the head quickly rotating causing a concussion that knocks people out.

So if that's the case, are "shock" KOs treated as serious injuries like concussions are?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've had something similair when I injured my fingers on Thursday my body kind of went into slight shock and damm near passed out from it. I've had that trouble all my life

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if that's the case, are "shock" KOs treated as serious injuries like concussions are?

Not technicality. Because a concussion is a bit different to a knock out.

So a person gets knocked out. You then check to see if they are concussed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the brain just rattles around from being hit too hard?

It doesn't have to be a hard hit. There is fluid around the brain that protects it to a certain extent but basically any blow/knock to the head will cause the brain to connect with the hard skull. Imagine knocking your hand against a door as you leave a room, it may be just a glancing blow and leave no mark, a bit harder and you have the beginnings of a bruise, a good wallop will break blood vessels and leave a very noticeable bruise, that's what happens to your brain when it hits the skull.
The problem is compounded in martial sports where weight cutting happens, it most definitely happen in horse racing with jockeys constantly weight cutting. The fluid around the brain is diminished with the weight cut and dehydration so even that protection has gone. Even with the crash helmets jockeys wear doesn't stop the brain hitting the skull in a fall, likewise the head guards worn in martial arts when being punched. Unless you can actually cushion the brain itself there's little you can do to stop concussion or brain 'bruising'. Helmets worn for motorcycling, cycling etc should be worn though because they prevent other types of brain injury.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all so cool to learn about!! So the brain just rattles around from being hit too hard?

My *curse word for butt* of an ex once let me try and knock him out using a punch and then a kick to the chin -- with gloves on of course -- but it didn't happen? Either I was too weak or didn't hit him in the right spot. It was like an upper-cut sort of punch
As DB and CB pointed out, there are some nerve points that can cause a KO .I'm not familiar with the mechanics and physiology on those, so I'm not sure how easy they are to get to. I do think they are a major portion of why some people are KO'd easily and others aren't. I don't think an uppercut activates any of those on most people, though.

We try. Some of us get on each other's nerves, but we mostly get along really well. Even most of us who annoy each other get along between those moments.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not technicality. Because a concussion is a bit different to a knock out.

So a person gets knocked out. You then check to see if they are concussed.

All knockouts from blows to the head cause concussions. They are checked afterwards to determine what grade of concussion they received.

Basically you are fighting until you cause enough of a concussion for the refs to stop the fight and award a KO.

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, depending on the severity of the KO, because they are the same thing. Anyone you see getting KOed, got concussed.

Latest Discussions