An open letter and thank you

B

brianhunter

To Whom it may concern;
Little did I realize stepping into a kenpo studio would have been such and mental and physical ride. Ive seen friendships come and friendships go. People grow apart and people grown together. My kenpo journey has been hard and a roller coaster to say the least.

For those of you who have answered questions, listened, helped, I thank you. I hope to never forget some of the help that some of you have given freely asking for nothing. I will not forget the relationships built and fun I've had.

Getting to the point American Kenpo has lost its luster to me. Once somthing that was fascinating, fun, and a great deal of infatuation has become full of hatred, petty bickering, and broken friendships. I look at this past year and it nearly brings a tear to my eye realizing some of the feelings brought, and friendships and trust broken.

A lot of you on here are stand up men and women whom I have grown to know and respect. For that I thank you. For others out there. Try and remember how you felt, try and remember why you are at the art, everybody is always screaming about basics.......well they where right but I think there are some basics as people and friends that need to be revisited and practiced too.

Thank you everyone. My journey hasnt ended it is just going to be on a different road for awhile.

Sincerely, and one last time with feeling,

Brian Hunter

Originally posted by brianhunter

Little did I realize stepping into a kenpo studio would have been such and mental and physical ride. Ive seen friendships come and friendships go. People grow apart and people grown together. My kenpo journey has been hard and a roller coaster to say the least.

I doubt any o fus realize that we are getting ourselves into. You definantly arn't alone.

Best Wishes.

Brian,

I don't really understand what you're referring to, but I'm guessing that's just as well: it sounds like a personal thing with either people at your school, people on this board, or both. Perhaps it reaches outside those circles as well.

For what it's worth (in case you're still reading the board), here are my suggestions:

1. If your comment about "hatred, petty bickering, and broken friendships" refers to people at your school, go to a different school. There are good schools and bad schools, and there are a few bad people at good schools and a few good people at bad schools. There are almost always alternatives.

2. If your comment refers to people who post on this board, remember that it's just a bulletin board, and then stop reading it.

3. If the problem is kenpo itself (which I doubt), consider switching to a different art, or take a break. I'm taking a one- or two-month break right now due to an injury, and I think it's actually been good for me (hopefully I'll still feel that way when I return!).

It sounds like you found a few potholes on this road in your life's journey. It also sounds like you're finding a different road. Good idea! And good luck!

Cheers,
Rich

Originally posted by brianhunter

To Whom it may concern;

For those of you who have answered questions, listened, helped, I thank you. I hope to never forget some of the help that some of you have given freely asking for nothing. I will not forget the relationships built and fun I've had.

Getting to the point American Kenpo has lost its luster to me. Once somthing that was fascinating, fun, and a great deal of infatuation has become full of hatred, petty bickering, and broken friendships. I look at this past year and it nearly brings a tear to my eye realizing some of the feelings brought, and friendships and trust broken.

A lot of you on here are stand up men and women whom I have grown to know and respect. For that I thank you. For others out there. Try and remember how you felt, try and remember why you are at the art, everybody is always screaming about basics.......well they where right but I think there are some basics as people and friends that need to be revisited and practiced too.

Thank you everyone. My journey hasnt ended it is just going to be on a different road for awhile.

Sincerely, and one last time with feeling,

Brian Hunter

I live in Pasadena, called the Mecca of Kenpo by many. I've had quite a few bad experiences inside of this community, and I have to tell you that I was honestly thinking about quiting for a while myself (just ask Clyde, he knows this well). The best thing to do is to take a holiday, and distance yourself from the internet wars. At least that's what worked for me.

Don't give some numb-nutts the power to ruin something that you appreciate, keep on working at it, and avoid the problems. It's difficult enough to say let alone do, and the internet makes it especially difficult to keep out of the fray when the proverbial crap hits the fan. I hope you reconsider. Too many people have the same problem you do, and some of these Jack-*** Self-Serving Seniors need to think about what they're doing when they make their disagreements with their peers public property.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear :asian:

I was thinking about this subject a little bit today. I like what Mr. Lear had said above as well. We here don't know your personal history, lineage, likes, dislikes etc. What I'm getting at is maybe you need to settle on one instructor that suits you! A person that has your same beliefs, ideas, and will help you obtain your personal goals. There are some instructors out there that love to teach kenpo and don't much care about the mighty dollar that drives most people. Leave the rest of the people behind. It is your journey in life. Take the path you wish. I'll leave you with that.

Latest Discussions

Back