An Intriguing Question

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18332772

F1 is one of the few sports I'll go out of my way to watch and this question, of why women drivers do not seem to make it to this pinnacle of motorsport, comes up periodically. You do get female drivers in other forumulae but appearances by the ladies in an F1 car have been vanishingly rare.

I think I agree with Mrs. Wolff that it is, in essence, a numbers game but that, at some point, the sport is going to need a female 'role model' to open the door and inspire girls to become top flight racers too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to see women racing F1! It seems a natural fit too...the drivers often have smaller/lighter bodies than athletes of other sports. Diane Nyad has said that ultra-endurance events are events where men and women can perform on equal footing. I think motorsports can be as well....if a few other barriers can be kicked down.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I am aware of that most honourable organisation, Tez :nods:. I've been a petrol head for some decades now so I know that we have a number of lasses putting the shiny-side-up on race tracks around the country - Annie Templeton is a heroine of mine if you recall (any granny who can drive a race specced Viper is pretty darned super in my book).

What we don't yet have is a competitive F1 lady racer :(. As Mrs. Wolff says, the numbers are against them (the ladies) as yet for there are hundreds of them in the sport and tens of thousands of their male counterparts. I think things are getting better on the sexism front but it's hyper tough at the top when there are only a couple of dozen seats available for the cream of the crop. I hope Susie is right and that within a decade we'll have a points scoring woman in F1, for there is no reason whatsoever why there should not be :tup:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:seeerrrrrrlappppp: :lol:

Ayr, it's a car-type-thing. Unfinished as they don't have any roof, bonnet, boot or wheel-arches :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ouch. That is not good to read!

I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this news, and of the loss of her eye :(

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very sad indeed :(. Not only is it psychologically bad for a woman to have her face disfigured but as a racer that is her career pretty much over :( and :( again.

Latest Discussions