American Tang Soo Do

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first two sambunims (TKD) gave and give all the comands in korean with his translation in spanish, I leraned the comendas in korean so when I give class in the new dojang I atend the boys does not understand me at all, cause I teach teh way I am use to, and need to say the comand and the translation for a better understanding.

Manny

VNoble21532

White Belt
Reaction score
OK- Let's take this a step further... How many of you hate when an American instructor teaches with a Korean accent??

V. Noble

ps. Maybe this should be a new thread, but I don't know how to do that.

Tim37200

White Belt
Reaction score
My head instructor uses a TINY accent/inflection, but his first teacher was Korean, so it's OK by me. It sounds cool when he says stuff!
When I teach I don't like to do that just because it's not me.

And I think using Korean terminology is an important facet of TSD training, as unique as Forms and Breaking, etc. One of the Masters of my school who used to teach the Dan classes would keep giving us sets of three moves, adding on, adding on, etc, etc. We got up to 27 move combos once. It was awesome because you always think there is no way you can remember all of those moves, but you do!

smhall89

White Belt
Reaction score
You have to realize when it comes to TSD and the different phrases, it is connecting back to the Korean roots. My Grandmaster taught originally in Korea and firmly believes in how he was taught in Korea so he brings those teachings into his lessons. Also just because the art is originated over 2,000 years ago, TSD actually has a lot of influence from other styles. TSD was originally called by the Korean name Soo Bahk Do(now moo duk kwan) which is thought to be where it originated. However, that was very early in history. Lee Won Kuk is the one that is said to bring the art back in Korea. At the time Korea was under Japanese control. So Japanese were in charge of actually teaching this style. So its roots became a melting pot of Japanese, Chinese and Korean influence. So if you are concerned about it needing an "upgrade", in my opinion it already has enough influence to be a great art. Not to mention TSD and TKD (since they are very similar) are known for there kicks as some of the most powerful and devastating.

Latest Discussions